PDA

View Full Version : How will this BBQ experiment turn out?

jonp
10-16-2022, 02:23 PM
Took a rack of pork ribs and cut it in half. 1/2 got cajun dry rub seasoning, the other smoked spicy dry rub. Smoked for 2 hrs @ 185 over apple and garlic pellets then wrapped up. 1/2 with butter meat side down, the other with smoked bacon (done by me several weeks ago). 3hrs of cooking in foil.

Which will taste better? My money is on the bacon wrapped ribs

Texas by God
10-16-2022, 02:30 PM
If I was there, I’d have to try several samples of both to render a fair verdict. Bacon for the win, probably.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-16-2022, 02:36 PM
garlic pellets ?

jonp
10-16-2022, 02:47 PM
garlic pellets ?

Yeah, i was also surprised but the local box store had bags of garlic/onion/paprika flavored pellets on closeout for $6 per 17lb bag and garlic is never bad in my book. The Apple are Pit Boss. I decided to mix the two although i probably should have done them separate for this.
Sometimes i mix cherry chips in with the hickory pellets which is nice with beef. I use that mix when smoking ribeyes and strips before a reverse sear in a cast iron frying pan with butter and fresh rosemary
Let the meat come to room temp then smoke until the internal temp is right, look up ehat you want rare to well and use a thermometer. Pull off and sear then rest wrapped in foil while getting everything else ready

As an aside, when i was running north south i picked up a bunch of peach tree trimmings in Georgia sitting by the road and brought them north. Buddy of mine had a smoker he built from an old fridge and he did me up a Thanksgiving turkey. All we could do to not eat it on the way home

deltaenterprizes
10-16-2022, 02:54 PM
I like spicy food, so I will go with the Cajun, I am from southeast Louisiana!

Czech_too
10-16-2022, 03:22 PM
Gotta go with the smoked bacon, but am awaiting results!
Sure would like to be there for a first hand tastin' though.

jonp
10-16-2022, 05:45 PM
Smoked bacon for the win! Juicy and tender. Now to play with the seasoning.

RickinTN
10-16-2022, 06:23 PM
I don't know which will be better. Here in the south it takes about 10 hours at around 200 degrees to get ribs done. If the meat doesn't fall off the bone, they ain't done.
Good Luck,
Rick

jonp
10-16-2022, 07:25 PM
Very tender on the bone but not fall off which is how we like it. Came out decent I think. Next up is to play with the seasoning. That bacon worked much better than an oil or mustard rub.

gwpercle
10-21-2022, 02:05 PM
BBQ Ribs ain't never bad .... Some are just better than others !

Bacon is never a bad idea .

When you get your dry rib rub seasoning recipe down ... post it ...
I'm always looking for a good dry rub to try !
Gary

36g
10-21-2022, 02:15 PM
Try some chili lime seasoning with your rub. A bit of citrus can really add a nice touch. I prefer lime over lemon just for a different flavor.

Shanghai Jack
10-21-2022, 04:14 PM
Saw garlic paprika in Home depot yesterday. As for the basic question

Wag
10-22-2022, 08:16 AM
Now I'm hungry. :P

--Wag--

farmbif
10-22-2022, 08:24 AM
im not too picky. both sound very good, i'l take one of each. ive played around a bit with creating my own smoked meat seasonings, never had a bad one but flavors can be very different. ive had issues with wood to smoke with, I'll never use walnut, sycamore, any conifer. ive since made a dedicated space in the wood shed for shaggy bark hickory just for smoking meats.

my most popular rub seasoning for pork, according to neighbors and friends ive share it with, is
equal parts, usually about 1/3 cup each of, raw sugar, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder
with varying amounts of, cyanne pepper, 1/2 tsp, cumin. 1/2-1 tsp, onion powder, 1 or 2 tsp, chill powder 1 tsp.
ive tried adding fresh dried rosemary. makes the meat taste green, some folks like it a lot, makes for good pork roast but I dont particularly like it in the rib rub
after smoking then wrapping in foil and adding honey or dark brown sugar and butter substitute, real butter tastes great till it burns, and putting wrapped ribs back in smoker at about 250 degrees for at least 1/2 hour. this adds a whole different dimension. after butter and honey or sugar melts into it then lather with your favorite bar b sue sauce wrap back up and put back in smoker for about 1 hour on low heat 200-225 degrees. this adds again a whole new dimension to the taste. lately ibve been doing this with boneless pork loins cut into 3 or 4 pieces and cross cutting the fat side so flavors get inside and fat keeps the moisture in it a bit, got to keep the heat down to keep it from drying out but when done for a long time at low heat it has turned out great. 165 degree internal temp is the goal. bon appetite my friends

jonp
10-22-2022, 11:35 AM
im not too picky. both sound very good, i'l take one of each. ive played around a bit with creating my own smoked meat seasonings, never had a bad one but flavors can be very different. ive had issues with wood to smoke with, I'll never use walnut, sycamore, any conifer. ive since made a dedicated space in the wood shed for shaggy bark hickory just for smoking meats.

my most popular rub seasoning for pork, according to neighbors and friends ive share it with, is
equal parts, usually about 1/3 cup each of, raw sugar, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder
with varying amounts of, cyanne pepper, 1/2 tsp, cumin. 1/2-1 tsp, onion powder, 1 or 2 tsp, chill powder 1 tsp.
ive tried adding fresh dried rosemary. makes the meat taste green, some folks like it a lot, makes for good pork roast but I dont particularly like it in the rib rub
after smoking then wrapping in foil and adding honey or dark brown sugar and butter substitute, real butter tastes great till it burns, and putting wrapped ribs back in smoker at about 250 degrees for at least 1/2 hour. this adds a whole different dimension. after butter and honey or sugar melts into it then lather with your favorite bar b sue sauce wrap back up and put back in smoker for about 1 hour on low heat 200-225 degrees. this adds again a whole new dimension to the taste. lately ibve been doing this with boneless pork loins cut into 3 or 4 pieces and cross cutting the fat side so flavors get inside and fat keeps the moisture in it a bit, got to keep the heat down to keep it from drying out but when done for a long time at low heat it has turned out great. 165 degree internal temp is the goal. bon appetite my friends

Raw sugar, you mean turbinado? I buy that for my coffee. Ill try your rub tomorrow as it uses more paprika and salt than ive seen especially the salt outside of cooking a whole hog

Ive been using when i have time, 3-2-1. Smoke is 180, wrapped 200-225. Ive tried honey, maple syrup and black strap. Prefer molasses but the maple syrup is nice especially if you use B Grade.

farmbif
10-22-2022, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure about the sugar the one ive been using is in a brown thick plastic bag at Walmart or sams club and says raw sugar on the bag. the corse salt seems to work better than table salt. I guess if I was using table salt I'd use a little less. but the basic 4 ingredients seem to be real common in the world of smoked pork. ive used less garlic powder but it seems I cant really put too much garlic on pork. the rural king black egg that I use is kind of difficult to run at less than about 225 degrees. a much needed project is a real smoker made from a big propane cylinder with an adjoining burner box. but that's a project for the future

jonp
10-23-2022, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure about the sugar the one ive been using is in a brown thick plastic bag at Walmart or sams club and says raw sugar on the bag. the corse salt seems to work better than table salt. I guess if I was using table salt I'd use a little less. but the basic 4 ingredients seem to be real common in the world of smoked pork. ive used less garlic powder but it seems I cant really put too much garlic on pork. the rural king black egg that I use is kind of difficult to run at less than about 225 degrees. a much needed project is a real smoker made from a big propane cylinder with an adjoining burner box. but that's a project for the future

Yeah, I'm not going for the dedicated propane tank smoker for just me and the wife. I use a smoker tube and my propane grill. Works good. I have the raw cane sugar and some canning salt so that should work