PDA

View Full Version : What I did with a couple rusty Lee dies...

technojock
10-14-2022, 02:41 AM
I went to do some loading last week and found my Lee universal decapper and expander dies were growing rust on the top and bottom ends. The insides were clean but the outsides were looking bad. After taking them apart I used a stainless steel wire brush to remove the rust then wiped them down with a paper towel with acetone on it.

Once clean I sprayed them with Midway Dropout Mold Lube. Once dry, I polished them up a little with a dry paper towel before reassembling them. I think they came out looking good.

These are the only 2 dies I have that rusted. I'm part to me putting in scrounged silica gel packs in with all my other dies. That aside, I'm considering giving all my Lee dies the same finish. It's not all that durable but it's easy to touch up...

Tony

Milky Duck
10-14-2022, 04:41 AM
looks good...a spray with some wd40 or crc of some sort does wonders for them....

Net
10-14-2022, 06:17 AM
Those look good. I've used the dry tumbler and some nufinish to clean and polish sets before.

georgerkahn
10-14-2022, 07:51 AM
Great restoration job! I've (knock wood!) have not had a rust challenge with my moulds, and I attribute this to my having a teaspoon-full or so of plain-Jane RICE in the plastic box the dies are kept in. A huge bag of rice is so very inexpensive, and I got the thought of using it when my older son voiced his "burying" a cellular telephone in a glass jar of rice to "dry it out". (It worked!) Albeit most commercial rice has a starch coating on it (why one should rinse it before cooking), that this coating keeps it both from sticking to itself or -- in this case, dies -- is a big plus.
Just what I do...
geo

dverna
10-14-2022, 11:11 AM
Great restoration job! I've (knock wood!) have not had a rust challenge with my moulds, and I attribute this to my having a teaspoon-full or so of plain-Jane RICE in the plastic box the dies are kept in. A huge bag of rice is so very inexpensive, and I got the thought of using it when my older son voiced his "burying" a cellular telephone in a glass jar of rice to "dry it out". (It worked!) Albeit most commercial rice has a starch coating on it (why one should rinse it before cooking), that this coating keeps it both from sticking to itself or -- in this case, dies -- is a big plus.
Just what I do...
geo

That is one heck of a cheap way to get'r done!

bedbugbilly
10-14-2022, 12:12 PM
Nice job - they look great! I've been lucky as far as any rusting issues both here in AZ (low humidity/higher heat) and in MI - surprised with the way our weather is there with high humidity at time, etc.

I have both the Lee universal de-primer die and the Lee universal expander die that I use with the NOE expanding plugs - have a set in AZ ad MI. Those two dies get more use than any of my other dies and so far, no rust issues which I guess is a surprise as they are handled a lot and you'd think that the salt from perspiration on you hands would be enough to get rust going. I do wipe the down occasionally with Ballistol.

I hope you'll let us know how what you sprayed them with holds up as far as handling, etc. They sure look nice!

super6
10-14-2022, 12:52 PM
Switch to a brass wire wheel and a good silicon spray and be a happy camper! Your Dies do look good thou. A stainless wire wheel is a bit hard on the threads. The silicon will hold up for years.

technojock
10-14-2022, 01:13 PM
It was only the 2 or 3 bottom threads that were rusted then at the top around where they were stamped. I sprayed them just like I was using paint. I once did a rifle the same way for an acquaintance that had a rifle that all the bluing was gone and it was beginning to rust.

I'm using a very old RCBS press and I'm thinking about spraying dropout lube on it's threads to prevent rust...

Tony

alamogunr
10-14-2022, 07:16 PM
Our older son is a pharmacist and his company receives medications in quantity with little desiccant bags/capsules in each container. When I run low he saves a bunch for me. I put 2 or 3 in each iron mold container and die box. I try to remember to change them out approx every 4-6 months. I don't really have a problem since my small shop is heated and air conditioned but I've always been a belt and suspenders guy.

The same attitude applies to the gun safes. Before I retired, the company I worked for sold a product that required a one quart can of desiccant be shipped with the product. The buyer of that particular product was a friend and he ordered 5 cans for me. These cans could be rejuvenated when they lost their ability by placing them in an oven for several hours. It turns out that I've only used 2 cans in the last 16 years. I guess the sons will have some for their safes.

I've got a few dies that I bought used that have a little rust. I'll try the OP's method to clean them up.

gwpercle
10-14-2022, 07:21 PM
I don't know about "not durable "... I like to never got the stuff off my Lee alumn. mould blocks ... Seems like you have come up with a great use for the stuff .
It sucks rocks for mould release but works great to coat inside of melting pot walls after cleaning and to coat your dipper ... As a finish on dies ... should be just the ticket !
Great Idea !
:drinks: Gary

deces
10-14-2022, 11:29 PM
Coat them is alox to prevent future rust.:kidding:

Winger Ed.
10-15-2022, 03:04 AM
Looks good.

I've had a few get rust in the gripper crosscut pattern up at the top.
I tried a wire wheel brush and it didn't do that well.
Seeing yours, I think my wire wheel strands were too thick and couldn't reach into the bottom of the groove.

Alex_4x4
10-15-2022, 05:11 AM
Our older son is a pharmacist and his company receives medications in quantity with little desiccant bags/capsules in each container. When I run low he saves a bunch for me. I put 2 or 3 in each iron mold container and die box. I try to remember to change them out approx every 4-6 months. ...

Silica gel can be restored by drying it at 80 degrees Celsius.

alamogunr
10-15-2022, 10:44 AM
Silica gel can be restored by drying it at 80 degrees Celsius.

The quart cans I mentioned are treated so that when they are exausted, the silica gel turns pink. The time in the oven returns it to blue. The small capsules/packets aren't treated but are cheap(free)enough to throw away.

Dusty Bannister
10-15-2022, 01:05 PM
While not free, there is a silica gel pet litter that can be placed in whatever containers to take care of moisture. I made up some bags for larger areas. Open the bag, dump contents and warm in oven to rejuvenate and let cool and bag it up again.