PDA

View Full Version : First Rifle Mold, Please help me learn.

billmc2
10-14-2022, 02:07 AM
My first rifle mold arrived today, the second one is due to arrive in 2 days. First one is an NOE for the 6.5 Grendel, the second is an Arsenal .308 Ranch Dog clone which I plan to use for 30-30.

A few weeks back I picked up a Lee hardness test kit preparing for when I needed something more than the wheel weight lead my neighbor gave me. I'm still practicing its use. In the lead and lead alloys subforum, last night I read about a way to mount it in my press for easier use but I haven't tried that method yet.

I have a copy of and have been reading the 2nd Ed of the Lee Modern Reloading. In chapters 9 & 10 he discusses the strength of lead as it relates to chamber pressure. I found this fascinating. He explains how load data for jacketed bullets can not / should not be used for cast bullets. He also gives examples on how to use the load data in the book to choose a starting load to work with and its associated pressures. It sounded pretty straight forward, so I turned to the data for the 6.5 Grendel; thus began my problem. All the data provided for the 6.5 Grendel is for either solid bullets or jacketed bullets; there is no data for a lead bullet. How do I proceed from here?

I most likely do not have the correct lead on hand and will need to order some. The NOE mold number is 266-126-FN-A03 4 Cavity PB. It is supposed to be a 126 gr bullet.

The 30-30 mold is a 170 gr and Lee does have loads for lead in this weight, so I think I can work with that. I've also found and read through dearslayer's 30-30 info thread https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?448574-30-30-info and will be following along on that.

Thanks in advance for the help.

405grain
10-14-2022, 04:49 AM
Not many people use cast loads in 6.5 Grendel. I think this is probably because most rifles in that caliber are gas actuated semi-automatics, and the average Joe that owns one doesn't want to use cast bullets because they think it will clog up their gas port. There are a lot of more knowledgeable cast bullet shooters on this site that either use bolt actions, or use methods to keep their gas system clean. I'm sure that several people will be able to get you some usable loads, but in the meantime this thread might start you heading in the right direction. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?301339-NOE-6-6-Grendel-125-Gr-load-data

Shopdog
10-14-2022, 07:07 AM
Been eyeing the NOE 6.5, 125 for a R700 .260. Let us know how your new mould/s work out.
Good luck with your project.

Larry Gibson
10-14-2022, 09:04 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but Lee's theory on the strength of lead as to chamber pressure only applies to lead, not alloys. The constant used in Lee's formula is for the elastic strength of pure lead. If you use an alloy, particularly a ternary alloy, or WQ or HT the alloy everything changes. Also, if you PC it invalidates the formula. The testing Lee's "friend" John did and the assumptions made also do not consider the adverse effect of RPM on regular lubed cast bullets.

I suggest you download a copy of Lyman's #3 cast Bullet handbook, read and study the front sections regarding casting bullets, alloys and loading cast bullets. It is much more informative than Lee's book.

You might also use the search engine on this forum for information on loading the 6.5 Grendel and the 30-30, there is a plethora of information already posted.

Super Sneaky Steve
10-14-2022, 09:26 AM
You can go very soft with powder coat and a gas check. You'll need to do some experimentation.

I would highly recommend a Hornady Overall Length Gauge with a modified case.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012747079?pid=570611

With cast boolits, especially if you're coating them it gets hard to know where to seat them. This takes the guess work out of it.

You'll also likely need an expander. The Lee universal expander works well if you don't already have one.

Tonto
10-15-2022, 08:48 AM
I have a NOE mould for the Grendel. Have to really wrung it out but have loaded some to function test in an AR and both conventionally lubed and powder coated worked fine with no leading. There is promise. I always use jacketed data with cast, I start on the low end and never a problem. I’m now building a AR10 upper in 260 REM and plan on shooting mostly cast. I have the Lee cruise missile and hope to figure that out in the 260 and Grendel. I think for AR work the powder coat will be your friend. The journey is the fun part. Good luck.

WRideout
10-15-2022, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't try to finesse this too much. Alloy is not such a big deal until you start to push your cast boolits up to jacketed velocity. Gas checks cover a multitude of sins. I have used straight wheelweight for almost all my casting when I first started. Don't overthink it; just start with something easy, like the 30-30 and work up slowly. If your initial loads are promising, you can always refine what you are doing, by increments i.e. change the alloy, change the powder or charge, etc.

Glad to have you here. I have always gotten good advice, and even made a few friends.

Wayne

Maven
10-15-2022, 11:40 AM
Good advice, Wayne!