PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try to make a glaser?

BT Sniper
01-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Seen post about a 50 bmg round made from a 7mm mag case that was filled with lead shot. Did quite the number to a row of milk jugs.
I was thinking I would take a 40 S&W case fill it with #6 shot and cap it of with a 8mm "Airsoft" plastic pellet. Measured the nose of the bullet coming out of the CH die and as I remember it was just small enough that I think it would work.
May be fun to see what performance would be like.
Wait.... just started thinkin, not sure how it would swage out to propper size unless the shot was totally compressed inside.
Well it's a fun idea anyway I may just try and see what happens:Fire:

Good shooting,

Brian

acemedic13
01-31-2009, 09:48 AM
sounds like a GREAT idea to me!

anachronism
01-31-2009, 11:26 AM
The early Magsafe loads were made from Remington bullets that had the lead melted out of them & lead shot mixed with epoxy. I imagine you could mash lead shot into a jacket, increasing the density of the load somewhat, but not enough to make the shot into one homogeneous mass. That would still be quite a prefragmented bullet.

MIBULLETS
01-31-2009, 11:41 AM
BT Sniper, I have tried it both ways in a .224 bullet made on the 22 rimfire case. First I used shot for the whole core. I did compress the shot. You could hardly tell it used to be shot. I think the key is to leave the graphite coating on the shot or roll in some or moly powder before you seat it in the jacket. Anything that keeps the shot from sticking together too much will probably work though, This will help the pieces of shot break up again when the bullet hits. This bullet expands or blows up pretty good.

Next, I seated only some of the shot in the bottom of the jacket so I would have a solid shank on the bullet, then I just added some loose shot on the top and point formed the bullt with a hole small enough so the shot would not fall out. I also used a small plastic ball to hold the shot in on a different bullet. This bullet at around 3000 fps out of my 223 Rem will not go through 1 water filled milk jug. Very explosive!! All I found in the jug was small mangled pieces of lead and pieces of the jacket.

I have not tested either one for accuracy since it takes quite a bit of effort to get the weight right. This may be easier in a larger bullet like you want to make.

Dan

Bullshop
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
To make incindiarry projectiles in 22 or 6mm cal I have used small sized primers swaged into the nose of bullets. By reducing the core weight by 10gn from standard allows room for the primer to set on top of the seated core. After the core is seated the primer is set on top and then run through the point form die.
WARNING !!!
I am not saying this is safe, only that I have done it.
In the end I decided there was little gain to the explosivness of these already thin skinned bullets. The kewl factor was up but so was the cost as now you are using two primers with each shot.
BIC/BS

JW6108
01-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Years ago, I melted the cores from some 110 JHP's and then filled the jackets with #9 shot to within about 1/8" of the top. I then dribbled in a layer of Elmer's Glue to seal them. I don't remember what they weighed, but I loaded them in .357 cases and tried them out on some gallon jugs filled with water. I didn't have a chronograph in those days, but I do recall them having very low recoil. The first jug exploded and had a few shot rattling around in the bottom and from this time and distance, I am not sure that the jug that was snugged up behind it was hit at all.

It is interesting that you mention this. I have a chronograph now and lately have been thinking about trying this again just to see how fast these things are actually going. I wouldn't have any desire to actually carry these type of bullets since they are very limited when it comes to penetration, but I am curious about it. Keep us posted!

10-x
01-31-2009, 08:57 PM
IIRC the original Glaser safety slugs used liquid teflon to "suspend" the lead shot and auto body putty glazing putty or bondo? to seal the opening. Back in the 70's when they came out there were some test published in "Guns and Ammo or "Shooting Times" or similar magazines as they did with KTW bullets. Interesting times back then.[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

BT Sniper
01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
MIBullets,

Very cool, I will try this soon in my 44mag. Shot through 4 milk jugs with my custom bullet before it came to a rest in the wet news papper behind the 4th jug.

latter,

Brian

dubber123
02-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Freedom475 was doing this using .45 ACP cases in his .475 revolver, and said they worked very well on rabbits....I bet they do!

NSP64
02-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Back in the 80's I used to make mine by melting the lead out of Hornady JHP's in 357 & 44. I used #12 shot from opened up CCI 22 shot shells. never made it through a full milk jug(water filled). I even used #9 &12 mixed together in 44 loads to try and get more penetration. Didn't help. Fun to play with but accuracy goes out the window past 25 yrds.

Jw6108 I agree I didn't have a chrono back then, might be fun to revisit.

Bullshop, I used to drill the hollow point deeper in my Hornady 158gr JHP loads( using my case trimmer after they were loaded) Then load 2 magnum small pistol primmers, 1 cup up 1 cup down so the mixture faced each other. then cap with epoxy. fun to shoot steel plates 4x4's and other hard surfaces. ( I'll bet the mythbusters never tried this combo to get the gas tank to explode.)

PS dont try this at home

NSP64
02-01-2009, 08:37 AM
BT Sniper, I also took the time to take a file and filed some wheel weights to get lead powder. It packs in the empty JHP jackets better. I used to pour the powder(filings) into the empty jacket while the jacket was spun in a electric hand drill, to try and get a balanced load, then top off with an epoxy plug.Some Ideas for thought, have fun with it.
:redneck:

sav300
02-02-2009, 12:36 AM
40s&w case not quiet full #4shot and a 35cal gas check and then swaged to close case over cg.about 185gn.no tests yet but look good.
Lionel

Pioneer2
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Drilling a .22 cal hole in the nose of lrg enough dia bullet then glue a .22 short in backwards is nasty too.The impact causes the rimfire to detonate garanteed expansion all around.Use at own risk..........................Harold

rockrat
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I think the old Lyman 457122 HP mould was designed with the HP pin the same diameter as a 22 shell. You could load a 22 blank or short in the nose. Think I remember reading in the "Fouling Shot" that Frank Marshall used to do this with his pals. They shot drums they had loaded with a half-gallon of gas and then floated them down the river, then went to their shooting spot and waited for the drums to appear. Nice fireball when hit. Don't think you could do this nowadays.

BT Sniper
02-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Lionel,

Tried nearly the same thing tonight. Filled 40S&W case with #6 shot and caped with polymer tip. Also came out @ about 180 grains. Pretty light but cool. Still experimenting.

Not brave enough to insert blank 22.

Filing lead..... I bought some powdered lead used for golf clubs at $5 per lb. Shipping killed me though. If i could find a way to easily trickel this into case it is a good way to evenly weight bullets.