PDA

View Full Version : What mold modifications for each driving band?

Naphtali
10-13-2022, 02:01 AM
Two-and-a-half years of healing with physical therapy have paid off big time. Neurosurgeon informed me that I can shoot my .72-caliber English-style muzzleloading rifles.

And, of course, I have a problem not with the bullet — with my loading the bullet. When rifles were completed, I ordered an iron 1-cavity Accurate Mold #72-780M. Rather than size the bullet, I use it "as cast" at 30:1 and pan lubed with SPG. Mic'ing three bullets my numbers are: Base band 7.3265, 7.326, 7.3265; middle band 7.285, 7.285, 7.29; top band 7.345, 7.34, 7,34 inches.

I have always mallet-loaded rather than muzzleload with loading rod conventionally. Lubed bullet drops through base band, slight interference with middle band, and mallet-loading required for top band.

This was fine for my intended muzzleloading cape buffalo hunt with a matched pair of rifles. Three additional spinal surgeries, including one 7-vertebrae fusion put the kibosh on that. So I want to load for the real world. That means moderately and conventionally. I intend to order a mold for this purpose. I retained my mold invoice plus my notes to Tom for its modification from basis dimensions. What I request are dimensional changes needed for each of bullet's three bands. Because Tom's computer retains mold's basis information, with your information we can accurately and easily make modifications for this new mold.

Mk42gunner
10-13-2022, 08:15 PM
If I understand your question correctly, I would start by measuring the bore diameter of my barrel.

Spec the base and intermediate bands for a slip fit, the top band to be engraved (not sure if you want it to be groove depth or not). Kind of like a Lee REAL bullet.

With soft lead they are loadable with a smack on a short starter, ACWW takes a right smart smack in a .577 Enfield Musketoon.

Robert