PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota: Tell me about it

beechbum444
10-12-2022, 10:56 PM
Evening everybody, I'm headed north for the winter for a contract to North Dakota. I have never been that far north, especially during the winter. The GF got a job opening a kitchen at a resort across the state line in Minnestoa. I'm just looking for any info...what to bring, whatto expect, what to hunt, what to fish for................thought id start here...any and all info is appreciated

Regards

BLAHUT
10-12-2022, 11:03 PM
Bring warm clothes... In Minnesota now 42 deg rain with snow predicted to night. You do not say where you are from?? PM me if you would like to talk? I drove dogs for a number of years. Live and work outside.

M-Tecs
10-12-2022, 11:09 PM
The east side of the state is flat. Depending on area the goose/duck hunting is excellent. Fishing is mostly walleye and crappie/sunfish. Devils' lake is very popular for fishing and waterfowl. The biggest challenge is ND is not very non-resident license friendly. Deer is a lottery that you missed unless you go archery. Waterfowl is 14 days total for nonresidents. Some spots have very good pheasant and others not so much. Same of fox and coyote.

What type of winters are you familiar with?

reddog81
10-12-2022, 11:22 PM
Bring warm clothes, a shovel and ice fishing gear. If you like to drink while fishing bring an insulated cooler along to keep your beer from freezing.

Have you experienced temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit before?

beechbum444
10-13-2022, 12:16 AM
Im going to freeze..the things we do for our women.....Ill be bouncing back and forth between Bismark and Waubon Minnesota......im originally from Memphis Tennessee and currently reside in Naples Florida. The coldest I think ive ever felt has been in the teens and thats only been once or twice......my biggest worry is my 7.3 diesel.....Most of the winters that ive experienced have been more wet than cold. Looks like ill be doing more ice fishing than anything and praying for the 13 week contract to be over............

Winger Ed.
10-13-2022, 12:37 AM
...my biggest worry is my 7.3 diesel.....

I'd check around and look into block heaters and other things you might need for that cold a climate.

Loudenboomer
10-13-2022, 06:59 AM
Driving between Bismark and Waubon. You'll be driving buy my place. I'm East of East Grand Forks.

G W Wade
10-13-2022, 07:26 AM
Bismarck has a very active shooting club. Long range, silhouette and SASS. Fishing is good. Lots of open area for hunting, as mentioned before. Western ND is milder than Eastern ( where I live) You will see snow and experience cold that you will have trouble believing. GW

rancher1913
10-13-2022, 08:55 AM
make sure your engine heater is working and keep the truck pluged in whenever parked and run a fuel treatment to prevent gelling. we had a crew take a drilling rigg up there one winter and everybody that went all said "never again", they spent all day everyday just keeping things from freezing and trying to stay warm.

tja6435
10-13-2022, 09:01 AM
My 7.3 F350 will start down to -5°F with good batteries and fresh glow plugs.

tigweldit
10-13-2022, 09:11 AM
Watch the movie "Fargo".

GhostHawk
10-13-2022, 09:20 AM
Winter cold can get into -40, wind chill is serious, any exposed skin can freeze in a couple of minutes.

You need a good block heater for your car to start reliably, although most of todays fuel injection cars do better than the old carb versions.
A good 12 volt battery charger is a must. Some sort of emergancy kit in your trunk with a sleeping bag, a source of heat, and food is essential if you get stranded.

I've lived in this country for 70 years and you don't want to turn your back on it.

I've seen it so thick on I 29 that I could not reliably see my hood ornament. And I ain't kiddin.
Spent 28 hours in mid april snowed in at a mini truckstop. Seating for maybe 10 people and there were 150 crammed in there, most in t shirts, shorts and flip flops.

Conservative values and common sense go a long ways in this country. Everything else tends to be "Flash in the pan" here today and gone tommorow.

Even God vacations in Northern Minnesota in June, but January is a whole nother beast.

36g
10-13-2022, 09:24 AM
Just a few comments - #1. Accept the fact that it will be cold. If you can, wait a bit before buying a lot of cold weather gear - see what the locals are wearing first. #2., Snow will happen and the wind will blow. Make up a winter survival kit to keep in your vehicle. There are several suggestions on respective state agency websites. Carry a good sleeping bag as well as snow shovel in your vehicle. If you get stuck in a snow drift, stay with your vehicle. #3. If your truck is 4WD don't think you are invincible - ice doesn't care. #4. Fashion isn't a "thing" up north in the winter. Wear what keeps you warm and alive...

gwpercle
10-13-2022, 09:27 AM
Being from Louisiana , we didn't know about putting anti-freeze in the gas tank ...
It got so cold the gasoline in the tank Froze ...
If you a Cajun Boy ... Don't Go ... God didn't make that place for us . Everything freezes solid ... snow is over your head ... just don't go there .
Plenty girls in the South ... find a new one .
Gary

Winger Ed.
10-13-2022, 09:36 AM
Be well armed.
I hear that up there in those unexplored Northern territories of Not Texas- they have critters that want to eat your horse.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-13-2022, 12:10 PM
The east side of the state is flat. Depending on area the goose/duck hunting is excellent. Fishing is mostly walleye and crappie/sunfish. Devils' lake is very popular for fishing and waterfowl. The biggest challenge is ND is not very non-resident license friendly. Deer is a lottery that you missed unless you go archery. Waterfowl is 14 days total for nonresidents. Some spots have very good pheasant and others not so much. Same of fox and coyote.

What type of winters are you familiar with?

adding to what M-Tecs says,
Eastern N Dak and North-western MN are flat with few trees, and when you are in-between towns, there is nothing there but flat farmland or prairie. The winter storms there are usually worse than other places, due to wind. It may snow for a only a few hours, but then the wind blows that snow around for a couple days afterward. It's not uncommon for the State to close the Freeways...you'll likely see some gates installed near exits/overpasses, that are used for just such occasions, because it's a common occurrence. If you have to travel during those two days after snow fall, you may experience "White-out type driving" which is dangerous, if you go off the road, you might be stranded for a while. Always carry an emergency kit with extra warm clothes.

Mikedominick
10-13-2022, 12:20 PM

It's going to get way below -5 in a NODAK winter!

farmbif
10-13-2022, 12:31 PM
never been there but I'm shivering just thinking about winter in the Dakotas, got to get back to my own fire wood bucking and splitting

BLAHUT
10-13-2022, 01:01 PM
Just a thought? If your truck battery's are a few years old, replace them with the biggest amp draw you can find. Check your tires, need good tires in snow and ice. If you drive fast you will experience a ditch real fast. Keep some anti jell for your fuel in with your truck. a 5w 40 or 10w 40 ?? weight synthetic oil in your Moter ? What ever your truck maker suggests for cold. A three lb. Coffie can with a roil of t-paper along with a fist full of energy bars, inside truck with you, along with a very good sleeping bag, each, a 3" / 4"candle with matches, one of these lighted inside cab with window cracked about 1/4 inch will keep you from freezing, also in cab with you, some bottled water. If you can find a few of the air activated body warmers, would be good, they last for years and you will use some for ice fishing. I buy these by the case when I can find the big ones. All these needs to be in truck with you, If you go off the road, you may not be able to get to the back of your truck. Stay with you truck. It gets cold and snows, have seen -50 below zero with a clear sunny sky after a 4' snow fall, wind blows snow for days, I keep a farm grain shovel in my truck, just in case along with some sand or cat litter for traction. A good tow strap may be nice? You will need good boots and gloves. The poly-propylene underwear can be had in thin to very thick and will keep you dry along with glove liners and socks liners, a good hat, wind proof outer layer. Stay dry, you will stay warm. keep a phone charger in you truck. Need to get there first ? Then think about hunting and fishing. If your GF is going for just a short time, you might just want to talk on phone ??? This country is cold and Un-Forgiving, but the people are warm ! Might just want to fill out a medical directive and/or last wishes form, just in case? You being so green, and this winter could be a bad one?? Haven't had a winter for years around here, so we may be just due?? GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN.

BLAHUT
10-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Be well armed.
I hear that up there in those unexplored Northern territories of Not Texas- they have critters that want to eat your horse.

Ya;Ya: some of them are called people ! !

MT Gianni
10-13-2022, 01:13 PM
Forget bringing warm clothes, you can find better and warmer stuff when you get there. If you looking at out of state hunting and fishing licenses consider Minnesota and So Dakota. Prices may be more friendly. I know So Dak has a long pheasant season. Try ice fishing, either making friends with someone who has a house or buying a tent.

Keep a positive attitude, people live in the North because we love it. Learn to say hi to people. Embrace the quiet. I took the grandkids and wife to Orlando this spring. It was loud from the moment I walked into Bozeman airport until we left it and went to the car. Between people, air conditioners and vehicles I about went nuts.

Keep an emergency kit in the car, candles, blankets, 2 good flashlights and some snacks. Hope that you will never need it. If you're driving, stop somewhere in Ohio and empty your windshield washer fluid by just running it through the washers. Replace it with stuff rated for -20. Congratulations on what should be the start of a great adventure.

MaryB
10-13-2022, 01:28 PM
Cold and colder... hell would freeze over in ND winters...

MO river fishing is awesome fr walleye/catfish, as is the Red River for big catfish. Pheasants, other upland birds, deer, coyote, prairie dog hunting are the most common. Things to do? Watch the snow blow by...

Get REAL winter weather gear. I am in SW MN and I carry a sleeping bag system that is good to -40(has layers so I can adjust). Wear layers, you DO NOT want to sweat into your gear, that sweat will freeze then you freeze! Make sure you keep as much of your face covered as you can, and most important COVER YOUR EARS. Frostbit ears feel like someone used you for boxing practice. Mittens with the flip open finger area and thinner gloves underneath work well for working/fishing/hunting in winter. Again, layers!

I helped a friend recover a vehicle in -80f(Mars surface temp!) wind chill, we even wore goggles to keep our eyeballs from freezing. Good winter underwear, then warm pants, then insulated coveralls, same on top with a warm winter top, sweatshirt, inner liner jacket then outer layer. Fashion goes out the window in that kind of cold! Face mask style stocking cap then the hood, Zip the collar(fur I hope!) up around your lower face if your outer layer has it.

Now that I am retired it is easier to plan ahead, have the house well stocked and stay indoor during that kind of weather!

Rapier
10-13-2022, 01:34 PM
My advice is to tell the girl to look you up in Naples if she ever gets back that way. Naples has a ton more to offer than anything in ND.

super6
10-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Being from Ohio, I have seen -40 only once, It killed over 40 people not seeing it coming. It was the wind and ice, Never again. People got caught walking back from the store! A true blizzard. 70 MPH winds and -40 Is not my cup of tea! This all happened In less than a hour.

reddog81
10-13-2022, 05:15 PM
Check your tires, need good tires in snow and ice. If you drive fast you will experience a ditch real fast. .

If the tires on your truck are All Season tires or something similar I'd suggest changing them over to Winter tires. All season work OK when new but after a year or 2 they the traction really goes downhill and in the bitter cold they turn to blocks of ice.

FWIW 4 wheel drive doesn't do anything for preventing you from going careening into a ditch. It just helps you get going faster in bad conditions.

M-Tecs
10-13-2022, 05:36 PM
Im going to freeze..the things we do for our women.....Ill be bouncing back and forth between Bismark and Waubon Minnesota......im originally from Memphis Tennessee and currently reside in Naples Florida. The coldest I think ive ever felt has been in the teens and thats only been once or twice......my biggest worry is my 7.3 diesel.....Most of the winters that ive experienced have been more wet than cold. Looks like ill be doing more ice fishing than anything and praying for the 13 week contract to be over............

13 Weeks is very short time. When is your start date? Working inside or outside? None of the advice given is bad but for only 13 weeks and working inside with limited travel your need for cold weather gear is limited. If you are working outside in Jan - March cold weather gear gets to be much more of an issue.

beechbum444
10-13-2022, 08:23 PM
Im literally making a list
1) Block Heater ( 7.3 Powerstroke has one )
2) Sleeping and survival kit ( always wanted to put my USMC -50 sleeping bag system in my truck)
3) -20 windshield wiper fluid ( I would not have thought of this )
4) White out Driving ( What am I getting into)
5) Truck Batteries ( Less than a year old, 2 motorcrafts, not cheap)
6) Why am I putting a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can? I always have a roll under the back seat
7) Buy better, warmer clothes up there ( Thank you for this )
8) Tires ( snow tires ...any recommendations )

As far as start and end date ...the end of the month thru end of January, Seems like the real cold weather sets in toward the end of January ( in theory)

Im a travel nurse and the goal is to make it to Alaska in the spring. That is an an entire different kinda post that I want to put on here, just dont think its time yet. The GF got a great opportunity and this was kinda a shot from the hip. Great tips and suggestions....keep them coming

M-Tecs
10-13-2022, 08:49 PM
2) Sleeping and survival kit ( always wanted to put my USMC -50 sleeping bag system in my truck)
6) Why am I putting a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can? I always have a roll under the back seat

As far as start and end date ...the end of the month thru end of January, Seems like the real cold weather sets in toward the end of January ( in theory)

Im a travel nurse and the goal is to make it to Alaska in the spring. That is an an entire different kinda post that I want to put on here, just dont think its time yet. The GF got a great opportunity and this was kinda a shot from the hip. Great tips and suggestions....keep them coming

I highlighted the things that you will actually MAY need. The TP in a can with a bottle of rubbing alcohol is an old school emergency heater. Cell phones and the small propane heater like this are a better option. https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Portable-Outdoor-Infrared-Parabolic/dp/B07CV1QL9B/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=small+portable+propane+heater&qid=1665707868&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjUyIiwicXNhIjoiMy45OCIsInFzcCI6IjI uODYifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-7

Depending on weather the ice may not be thick enough for driving your diesel on it until mid-January. Make sure your coolant is good to minus -30. If it gets cold you will want an anti-gel for your diesel. Your must driving will be from the hotel/apartment to the hospital. Other than that if the weather is bad you don't have to go out period. I was born and raised in ND in 1960. I have been in one white out in my life.

Fargo has a nurse shortage so that's my guess as to where you are going. You can get everything you need their as you need it.

Unless you get into rural areas you will need very little special. Your biggest challenge will be driving under ice conditions. You will think the local are nuts the way they drive. It's a learned skill. If it gets icy I recommend going to one of the large parking lots after hours and play a bit to learn stopping/skid control. Remember to turn into the skid and stay off the brakes. If you are not sure if it's icy just tap the brakes and you will know. When you drive on ice do everything very gently.

BLAHUT
10-13-2022, 09:00 PM

#6 Why am I putting a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can? I always have a roll under the back seat

If you should get caught in a blizzard and spend a day or two or more in your truck, are you going out side to take a dump?? The can will keep your
t-paper and other stuff together and dry. The stuff under your seat will be wet with just the snow off your feet. Yes your usmc bag will be a good start. Hope you never need it.
I grew up in Alaska, we lived off the land, three dog night, was not a local band, that was how many dogs you brought into bed with you to stay warm. YOU are a Tough Marine, you got a lot to learn, fall through the ice, then what?? A ten mile run? YES Might want to think about some of what these people are trying to let you in on, without you needing to learn the hard way?? Sleeping out side in -20 to -70 below zero is not fun, if unprepared you will die.
#4 White out Driving ( What am I getting into) YOU will learn very fast, Think, don't get cocky.
1) Block Heater ( 7.3 Powerstroke has one ) Might want to consider battery warmers?? In Alaska they put block heaters in (x2) battery heaters, heater in side of truck, they plug all in before shutting off truck.
You can start with some long underwear from down there, so you can be a little warmer till you find what warm clothes you might want to buy when you get there. Like my grandmother always said " don't matter what you look like as long as you are warm " Stay dry and you will stay warm...
YOU will learn, by GOD, YOU will learn...

screwcutter
10-13-2022, 09:24 PM
All good advice, get a stick on oil pan heater or 2, the 15W40 gets thick and a bra for the front grill. A timer will save on the electric bill, 3 hours on starts the same as 8 hours. Watch interior heaters, can start fires.

ascast
10-13-2022, 09:45 PM
i drilled oil wells up there a couple winters. cold, not as bad as Wyoming, but.... follow all comments above. I carried a sleeping bag rated to 40 below F in the car at all times as well 2-3 days munchies, small back packers stove, water, lots of heavy socks. This was all in a 67 bug. I had good tires, studs one winter. Keep your fuel tank topped off. It seemed to me the wind never stopped, just slowed down a bit now and then.

megasupermagnum
10-13-2022, 09:48 PM

It really isn't as bad as you would think. Sure, it can get brutally cold, but most of the time it isn't that horrible. An average January day might be a high of 20F and get down to 0F at night. There will certainly be a week or two where it gets down to -20F, and possibly colder. The chances of seeing -30F or lower are slim in Bismark or Fargo. It happens, but not every year. Snow really isn't that big of a deal. It isn't like it is in the mountains, or against the great lakes. Even when it does snow it mostly blows off the road. The real danger of ND winters is the wind, and in the winter that often comes with a lack of visibility and ice. Snow is no harder to drive in than gravel on a dirt road. Ice is the real bad stuff. I've never lived in ND so I don't know what is normal in your area. In South Dakota they salt the cities, and the main highways. Salt on the country roads is minimal or non existent. That's just something to keep in mind. Since you will likely be driving on a main highway, it's no big deal. Also, your truck will rust dramatically if you drive down the salted roads. Just accept that fact, and wash it every warm day you get. White out driving is optional. It isn't that bad most of the time. Some years it never happens. Even when it is bad, usually just wait a few hours and the storm passes. It's no different than driving through tornado storms.

I wouldn't worry about going overboard on a survival kit. A second warm jacket, hat, and pair of gloves are all you really need for an emergency. Extra socks don't hurt. What you really need you probably already have. Tools to fix stuff, flashlight, shovel. Any shovel is fine for digging out. I'd actually rather have a spade than a big scoop shovel most of the time. One common thing you will find is a lot of people put sandbags in the beds of their trucks. The rear ends are light which is not a good thing on ice. Along with weight, the sand offers something you can throw down under your tires if you ever get stuck.

Don't fret the small stuff. In the summer you will find +32F wiper fluid, usually for bugs. Once October comes around, you wont find any on the shelf. Everything sold is at least -20F wiper fluid in the winter. Truck batteries, don't worry about it until it is a problem. You already have jumper cables, don't you?

It isn't like we are all walking around in snow suits all winter. Regular clothes are fine. All you need is a warm jacket, something that blocks wind good ideally. A hat, a regular beanie hat is fine, they give these away for free all over. I think I got one free at every job I ever had. Gloves, just something warm. I personally like the FoxRiver wool gloves, and use bigger mittens over them if I'm sitting in a deer stand or something. Also you will probably want insulated bibs. Carhartt is the standard. You will have to see what you need for ice fishing. Some people are fine with basic insulated boots. Some get the biggest, thickest things ever and still feel cold. Poor circulation or something. I'm guessing you already have long underwear, but if you don't, you will want those. Anything but cotton. Some people like thick ones, I like a thin baselayer. It's only real purpose is to wick moisture from your skin. Dry = warm.

There's tons of options for good tires. A lot of people do just fine on winter rated all terrain tires. Don't be fooled that they are just as good though. If you are buying winter tires, buy real snow tires. I personally don't know anyone who uses studs in their tires, but it is an option. I never have. The key to snow tires is they are very soft, and they have tons of siping. It's a night and day difference between a real snow tire and an all-season. My personal favorite is the Cooper Snow Claw, but the Bridgestone Blizzak is tried and true as well.

beechbum444
10-13-2022, 09:50 PM
BLAHUT: I think i mislead you when I wrote about the USMC -50 sleeping system......picked it up from a buddy of mine in the surplus business....Im not a marine, never served, dont even want to pretend in front on strangers that I'll probably never meet....I grew up in Tennessee , riding four wheelers and catching crawdads

Any tire recommendations.....My dad swears by Michelin

M-Tecs
10-13-2022, 10:03 PM
What do you currently have for tires and what's the condition?

Megasupermagnum is 100% that the best icy tires are very soft but the downside is they are shot at 20K.

Studs are great but not legal in MN and some major cities don't allow them. Not sure about Fargo and studs

tommag
10-13-2022, 10:04 PM
Something to keep in mind: North Dakota seldom closes the interstate because of weather. When the website says "travel not advised", conditions are such that other states would close the road. I've been in blizzards that scared me when the road was open. I drive 120,000 miles a year across the northern plains, so I think I have some experience in the snow.

megasupermagnum
10-13-2022, 10:06 PM
One last thing that slipped my mind, when ice fishing, don't forget a set of ice cleats for your boots. Some boots are better than others, but most boots are fairly hard rubber which is terrible for walking on ice. Later in the winter the lakes often get a crust of snow on them that makes it easy, but early season for glare ice it is almost impossible to pull a sled any real distance without my Yaktrax. When I was poorer, I even ran a few short hex head screws into my boots, and that might have even worked better. Just don't walk indoors with them or you will look like a fool when you slip.

M-Tecs
10-13-2022, 10:22 PM
People have different tolerances for cold. Don't be surprised when you see guys still wearing shorts in town in January.

BLAHUT
10-13-2022, 10:27 PM
One last thing that slipped my mind, when ice fishing, don't forget a set of ice cleats for your boots. Some boots are better than others, but most boots are fairly hard rubber which is terrible for walking on ice. Later in the winter the lakes often get a crust of snow on them that makes it easy, but early season for glare ice it is almost impossible to pull a sled any real distance without my Yaktrax. When I was poorer, I even ran a few short hex head screws into my boots, and that might have even worked better. Just don't walk indoors with them or you will look like a fool when you slip.

A couple of 40 Penney nails in your pocket will come in handy, if you should fall through the ice? Will help you get out, been there done that. Then a ten mile run, to warm up.
Up here any good brand of winter tire is usually good, except nylon tires, they get hard and slippery, found this out on my work truck.

BLAHUT
10-13-2022, 10:32 PM
People have different tolerances for cold. Don't be surprised when you see guys still wearing shorts in town in January.

When I came back from the mountains I arrived here just after a blizzard, about maybe -20, sun shining at dawn, clear sky, I was out shoveling snow in a t-shirt and sweeting my a** off, neighbors thought I was nuts, I wasn't, just use to the cold, been working out side all winter, at that time -20 was warm for me with a little work. All depends on what you are used to??

Battis
10-14-2022, 07:12 AM
My son was stationed in Minot for several years. He likes to downhill ski. He bought some sort of ski kite - put your skiis on, grab the handles and kite ski across the endless wide open. Plenty of wind and flat ground. He'd give me weather updates - seems like a pretty cold place, but he liked it.

TurnipEaterDown
10-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Had a friend some years ago that had been stationed in Minot when he was in the Airforce. He said the saying on assignment was "why not Minot". Which always brought a question to my mind: is it pronounced My-Knot or My-know? I have guessed the t should be silent.

The earlier '...you get used to it...' is spot on.
I spent 6 years living in Michigan's Keweenaw. (Not That much further north than where I grew up.) The first year I was there (88-89) we got 29 feet of snowfall. Started in October, ended in May. Snow piles still around in July. The last year (93-94) it was brutally cold. I remember a month where the thermometer never saw zero, and windchill was 40-60 below for a month. Shut down heat ducts and doors in 1/2 the little (~1100 ft sq) house I lived in and set the thermostat to 60, and still went through 275 gallons of fuel oil. 12 Feet of frost penetration. Lucky we had water (though it had sand in it a lot of the time) as so many water mains got froze that many didn't. Really enjoyed my time there no matter.

Now, I generally dislike shoveling snow because I often find it a time inconvenience, and I'm one whose feet get cold pretty much no matter what boots I wear.
Things always change it seems, and so most adapt.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-14-2022, 10:54 AM
White out driving:

SNIP>>>

Other than that if the weather is bad you don't have to go out period. I was born and raised in ND in 1960. I have been in one white out in my life.

I thought that was a more common occurrence in ND?
In my flat area of southern MN, when I was commuting for work, on county roads through the flat farm fields of McLeod County, from one small town to another small town on a daily basis, It seems I would be in at least one nasty white-out storm every winter. I recall one time crawling along at 15 MPH and almost rear ended a State Trooper squad car...and he had is emergency lights flashing, parked in the middle of the road (there was another car in the ditch.)

Something to keep in mind: North Dakota seldom closes the interstate because of weather. When the website says "travel not advised", conditions are such that other states would close the road. I've been in blizzards that scared me when the road was open. I drive 120,000 miles a year across the northern plains, so I think I have some experience in the snow.
Since I don't have any winter driving experience in ND, I assumed they closed the freeways for blizzards, I do know that see News reports that the State of MN closing it's freeways in the NW areas, during blizzards.

BLAHUT
10-14-2022, 12:01 PM
This morning, 10.14.2022, at about 5 am, there is a little over 1 inch of snow on the ground and still coming straight down ! Looks like winter.

ascast
10-14-2022, 12:25 PM
ADDENDEM megaspromaga what ever is spot on about tires IMHO. I drove studded snows as I used then in central NY. Very good on ice. As I was driving a 67 VW bug, I could get blown around a bit and the studs helped in that regard. I remember going back to work once, driving across ND then Montana, somewhere in there it had been miles and miles since I saw another vehicle. I pulled to a rest area full of cars and cops. I needed gas. The cops ran over and surrounded me. I was a little scared. Turns out the highway had been closed for hours, no traffic allowed either way. I had no trouble and was allowed to go on.

MaryB
10-14-2022, 12:57 PM
Having live din SW MN my entire life I am no stranger to winter driving and white outs... I had my window down and head out the window to see the center line as I idled along... could not see past the hood of the car. MANY cars in the ditches and they closed the road right after I left town(gee thanks!). No rescue, you are stranded until the winds die down! In town driving isn't to bad, but in Fargo be ready for some icy hills that will defy travel.

Get used to driving on ice and you can do 60mph, just watch the road 1/2 mile ahead so you have plenty of time to coast down to a stop. No sudden moves, slow down on corners or be like the guy who passed me when I was crawling along at 30mph, next corner he was 100 yards out in the field on his roof. Snow plow was stopped and helping him so I waved as I went by!

This is a typical winter for me, I have 10+ miles of driving on packed snow to get to a highway, spots will have drifts across the road so be ready to hit them ad get tossed around a bit before making it out the other side...

https://i.imgur.com/IVL7g5Y.jpg

MT Gianni
10-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Being from Ohio, I have seen -40 only once, It killed over 40 people not seeing it coming. It was the wind and ice, Never again. People got caught walking back from the store! A true blizzard. 70 MPH winds and -40 Is not my cup of tea! This all happened In less than a hour.

Heat kills more than cold annually.

megasupermagnum
10-14-2022, 01:38 PM
They shut down the interstates when needed. Back in April I was turkey hunting near the SD/ND border of Lake City. It was pretty brutal, but I didn't see that much snow. Come to find out ND and MT had one of the worst spring blizzards in decades. Places got 3' of snow. They shut down I94 from Billings, MT to Jamestown, ND.

One thing to realize when you see these crazy pictures of cars buried in snow or doors completely covered is you aren't seeing the full pictures. That happens because of drifts. The snow will drift way up against objects like houses, cars, trees, or anything else. What they aren't showing is often the fields or even the other side of the house are practically bare ground. You get that kind of crazy snow from lake effect around the great lakes. It's quite rare to get snow storms like that blizzard that dropped 1'-3' of snow in the Dakota's.

trebor44
10-14-2022, 01:54 PM
Look for the photo of the steam locomotive crossing the river on the ice by Bismark, impressive!

Meatball357
10-14-2022, 01:59 PM
Lived in north central and north west ND for 20 years, 20 years ago. Things have likely changed some, but here's my assessment:

People are as good as it gets. Period.

Work ethic and independence is baked in to the DNA. They take care of the job. They don't necessarily depend on others to do it, or expect the government to do it. Pretty sure that ND could stand alone as a country with its agriculture, oil/gas/coal, and pro-business stance.

Excellent goose hunting. Really good pheasant hunting. Walleyes are king, both summer and thru ice. By all means, go ice fishing, with people who know the drill.

Vikings and NDSU Bison football trumps most things.

Learn the significance of "Uff da" and "lutefisk"

I've spent the night in a car in a remote ditch in January. Snow packed the engine compartment & radiator fan was frozen solid - so no engine heat. Heed the survival gear advice. Minus 30 temps and blizzards happen every year. But really, it makes 0 degrees feel pretty comfortable thereafter.

Learn how to buy rounds of beer for strangers, because they'll do it for you.

Looking back, I've come to understand that putting up with tough weather is much better than dealing with thousands of people in your face everywhere you go.

Good luck & keep an open mind.

super6
10-14-2022, 02:08 PM
Having live din SW MN my entire life I am no stranger to winter driving and white outs... I had my window down and head out the window to see the center line as I idled along... could not see past the hood of the car. MANY cars in the ditches and they closed the road right after I left town(gee thanks!). No rescue, you are stranded until the winds die down! In town driving isn't to bad, but in Fargo be ready for some icy hills that will defy travel.

Get used to driving on ice and you can do 60mph, just watch the road 1/2 mile ahead so you have plenty of time to coast down to a stop. No sudden moves, slow down on corners or be like the guy who passed me when I was crawling along at 30mph, next corner he was 100 yards out in the field on his roof. Snow plow was stopped and helping him so I waved as I went by!

This is a typical winter for me, I have 10+ miles of driving on packed snow to get to a highway, spots will have drifts across the road so be ready to hit them ad get tossed around a bit before making it out the other side...

https://i.imgur.com/IVL7g5Y.jpg

Never again! You can have it. trebor44 there is no link?

M-Tecs
10-14-2022, 03:55 PM
They shut down the interstates when needed. Back in April I was turkey hunting near the SD/ND border of Lake City. It was pretty brutal, but I didn't see that much snow. Come to find out ND and MT had one of the worst spring blizzards in decades. Places got 3' of snow. They shut down I94 from Billings, MT to Jamestown, ND.

Yes, bad weather/blizzards/road closers do happen in ND. On the April storm the road closures were predicted on a Monday evening and I-94 closed late Tuesday or early Wednesday and did not open until around Friday around noon. I remember very well since my dad's hip broke late Tuesday morning. Due to the storm, I was unable to get to him until Saturday morning. He passed early Monday morning at 99.

All the advice being given is correct IF you have to travel distance in ND in poor conditions. That is not the case for the OP. He is a traveling nurse that will be in ND for 13 weeks ending at the end of January. He may or may not see a blizzard but a blizzard in a town like Fargo verse rural areas have a much different impact. The April storm was one of the worst I have seen or heard of. It even shut travel down in Bismark. However, the local snowmobile clubs were ferrying doctors and nurses to the hospitals. They did the same for other critical workers.

The question is what does the OP need to get through his 13 weeks in ND? As a contract nurse he will be at a hotel or apartment relatively close to the hospital. The OP will have to determine what type of outdoor conditions he wants to go out and play in?

For hunting it's too late for him to try for big game unless it's archery. Goose and duck? Without decoys that a problem. Fox and coyote is realistic. Fishing? That will be dependent on when the lakes freeze over? OP will need an ice auger and ice fishing gear unless the OP hooks up with some locals that have the required gear. If they have an icehouse he may be fishing in a t-shirt?

A set of dedicated snow/ice tires for his rigg will be over $1,500. Studs would be the best but he can't visit the GF in MN with them. If his current tires are good a set of chains is much more cost effective and usage for off-roading anywhere.

I hunt and play in ND is what most would consider extreme conditions and I have many thousands of dollars of gear to allow me to do want I want when I want but even with that when the April storm happened in was it not realistic to travel when I94 was closed. I serious doubt anyone was out hunting or fishing during the storm.

Common sense is the most important tool he will need. We can advise him to spend 5K plus for stuff he mostly likely will never need. My sister, five cousins and a bunch of friends were/are nurses in ND and got by with a little common sense, a mid-size car, winter coat, hat and gloves. The ones that had to travel in rural areas kept a cheap snowmobile suite, boots and a heater in the vehicle. None of them even got stranded. That's going back to the mid 70's. Some did miss a day or two if things were really bad or the had friends with 4x4 truck take them.

When I stated I was only in one whiteout that should have been out and about in a whiteout. Watching the weather and using common sense prevents most from going out in those conditions. I took my dad to a doctors appointment in Bismarck. That a was a 75 mile drive. The weather was predicting the storm to start at mid-afternoon. The appoint was mid-morning. It ran late and the storm was early. That was the only true whiteout I have even seen. At times you could not see beyond the car hood. I used the cell to get the last remain hotel room in Bismark. Luckly it was only 5 blocks away. I got turned around in the parking lot and thought I was heading east when I was actually heading west. That was the first time I used a phone for navigation.

If you live, travel or work in the north you will encounter bad conditions. Spending 13 weeks living in a city like Fargo not so much.

BLAHUT
10-14-2022, 05:57 PM
I highlighted the things that you will actually MAY need. The TP in a can with a bottle of rubbing alcohol is an old school emergency heater. Cell phones and the small propane heater like this are a better option. https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Portable-Outdoor-Infrared-Parabolic/dp/B07CV1QL9B/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=small+portable+propane+heater&qid=1665707868&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjUyIiwicXNhIjoiMy45OCIsInFzcCI6IjI uODYifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-7

Depending on weather the ice may not be thick enough for driving your diesel on it until mid-January. Make sure your coolant is good to minus -30. If it gets cold you will want an anti-gel for your diesel. Your must driving will be from the hotel/apartment to the hospital. Other than that if the weather is bad you don't have to go out period. I was born and raised in ND in 1960. I have been in one white out in my life.

Fargo has a nurse shortage so that's my guess as to where you are going. You can get everything you need their as you need it.

Unless you get into rural areas you will need very little special. Your biggest challenge will be driving under ice conditions. You will think the local are nuts the way they drive. It's a learned skill. If it gets icy I recommend going to one of the large parking lots after hours and play a bit to learn stopping/skid control. Remember to turn into the skid and stay off the brakes. If you are not sure if it's icy just tap the brakes and you will know. When you drive on ice do everything very gently.

Forgot about the old school heater, as a kid I used a bisket tin about 4" tall and about 10" around with a tight-fitting lid, cut and rolled up some spun glass insulation and with a bottle or two of iso heat pored in, light that and used that as a melt water and a heat source to cook food for the dogs on trail. The tight lid would put out fire and keep all inside for the next use. Great heat source and cheap.

megasupermagnum
10-14-2022, 06:16 PM
That's absolutely true M-Tecs. I guess the tires are up to him though. I saw he is going to Alaska and assumed they were moving there. Maybe not though. While you can't have studded tires as an MN resident, we are allowed to drive in MN as non-residents with studded tires. There are some exceptions, one of which is if you are employed in MN you can't.

M-Tecs
10-14-2022, 08:11 PM
That's absolutely true M-Tecs. I guess the tires are up to him though. I saw he is going to Alaska and assumed they were moving there. Maybe not though. While you can't have studded tires as an MN resident, we are allowed to drive in MN as non-residents with studded tires. There are some exceptions, one of which is if you are employed in MN you can't.

I was not aware of that. I do know I got a ticket for studded tires in Breckenridge MN as a ND resident going to school in Wahpeton ND in 1979. It may have changed since or it could have been a bad ticket. The ticket was low cost so I just paid it. The replacement tires were not low cost.

BLAHUT
10-14-2022, 08:23 PM
Lived in north central and north west ND for 20 years, 20 years ago. Things have likely changed some, but here's my assessment:

People are as good as it gets. Period.

Work ethic and independence is baked in to the DNA. They take care of the job. They don't necessarily depend on others to do it, or expect the government to do it. Pretty sure that ND could stand alone as a country with its agriculture, oil/gas/coal, and pro-business stance.

Excellent goose hunting. Really good pheasant hunting. Walleyes are king, both summer and thru ice. By all means, go ice fishing, with people who know the drill.

Vikings and NDSU Bison football trumps most things.

Learn the significance of "Uff da" and "lutefisk"

I've spent the night in a car in a remote ditch in January. Snow packed the engine compartment & radiator fan was frozen solid - so no engine heat. Heed the survival gear advice. Minus 30 temps and blizzards happen every year. But really, it makes 0 degrees feel pretty comfortable thereafter.

Learn how to buy rounds of beer for strangers, because they'll do it for you.

Looking back, I've come to understand that putting up with tough weather is much better than dealing with thousands of people in your face everywhere you go.

Good luck & keep an open mind.

Amen ! Very well said. Cold climate, Warm people.

BLAHUT
10-14-2022, 08:32 PM
ADDENDEM megaspromaga what ever is spot on about tires IMHO. I drove studded snows as I used then in central NY. Very good on ice. As I was driving a 67 VW bug, I could get blown around a bit and the studs helped in that regard. I remember going back to work once, driving across ND then Montana, somewhere in there it had been miles and miles since I saw another vehicle. I pulled to a rest area full of cars and cops. I needed gas. The cops ran over and surrounded me. I was a little scared. Turns out the highway had been closed for hours, no traffic allowed either way. I had no trouble and was allowed to go on.

I don't Rember where I was when this happened in ND or Montana, any way I carry chains in the truck all the time, cops were pulling all cars and trucks of road and making them put on chains, HP took a look at Minnesota license plate and said, you people drive in snow and ice year-round so just keep going and take it easy, so I got gas and kept going.

MaryB
10-15-2022, 01:36 PM

One thing to realize when you see these crazy pictures of cars buried in snow or doors completely covered is you aren't seeing the full pictures. That happens because of drifts. The snow will drift way up against objects like houses, cars, trees, or anything else. What they aren't showing is often the fields or even the other side of the house are practically bare ground. You get that kind of crazy snow from lake effect around the great lakes. It's quite rare to get snow storms like that blizzard that dropped 1'-3' of snow in the Dakota's.

Winter of 96/97 it wasn't one big storm... it was a storm every week that dropped 6+" of snow and the total was around 6'. Drifts were up to the roof of my house, 25' tall! Road I took to work was often 1 lane and 30mph max speed. My GMC Jimmy I had at the time stayed in 4 wheel low lock to bust drifts. I often had strings of cars follow me, people who also worked in the same town would wait for me to go by... They were using airport snow blowers to try and keep the road open... next spring was the 1,000 year flood on the Red River and Minnesota river near me where the only open bridge between the SD border and Mankato was in New Ulm, about 140 mile stretch of river. We had product to the store delayed weeks in winter then that spring 2-3 day delays as they tried to find an open route across the river. If a storm was coming in I would bail out from work and go home. No sense getting trapped in town and I did NOT want to stay with my boss(he was not a nice person...greedy...).

That spring was the huge Grand Forks flood that was on national news. Buildings on fire that were surrounded by 6+ feet of water... I went up and helped with a BBQ for the sand baggers, displaced people etc We cooked on the worlds largest BBQ pit...

https://dmn-dallas-news-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/fY5EZLUK2YsZlF3Qf6fL_IVYadU=/1660x934/smart/filters:no_upscale()/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-dmn.s3.amazonaws.com/public/IBK4RN3T46AWN3T226DQZPMD4M.png

super6
10-15-2022, 02:14 PM
Now that there is the cats rear. Noticed the texas bumper sticker. LOL

MaryB
10-16-2022, 11:32 AM
Now that there is the cats rear. Noticed the texas bumper sticker. LOL

Wood fired! The Texas shape is the firebox end. Burned an amazingly small amount of wood to keep temps within 20 degrees from end to end. Built by Klose BBQ Pits out of TX and they make really good pits. I had one before my back got really bad.

sparky45
10-16-2022, 11:40 AM
I have a Oklahoma Joe's Smoker and it does an excellent job with Pork Loins ; Ribs; Beef Brisket, ect. However, Brisket is out of my price range @ over $6/lb with tax. Saw one the other day that was $110 + Tax. (Just over 20#)

jonp
10-16-2022, 02:27 PM

In ND in winter,? -5, your kidding, right? Prepare for -30 and always park your tailgate to the wind

BLAHUT
10-16-2022, 03:41 PM
Just mark it down in your book - you are going to freeze parts of your anatomy, ears, eyes, knows, lips, cheeks, fingers, toes, dick, that's just for starts.
But by God, you will have fun.. When you think zero degs. an't bad, you got it made. Then you can start thinking about winter camping??? Tis fun....

BLAHUT
10-16-2022, 03:47 PM
White out driving:

I thought that was a more common occurrence in ND?
In my flat area of southern MN, when I was commuting for work, on county roads through the flat farm fields of McLeod County, from one small town to another small town on a daily basis, It seems I would be in at least one nasty white-out storm every winter. I recall one time crawling along at 15 MPH and almost rear ended a State Trooper squad car...and he had is emergency lights flashing, parked in the middle of the road (there was another car in the ditch.)

Since I don't have any winter driving experience in ND, I assumed they closed the freeways for blizzards, I do know that see News reports that the State of MN closing it's freeways in the NW areas, during blizzards.

Only when the roads are getting drifted closed. The underpasses' drift shut. Then if you are lucky, you can fallow the snow blower trucks down the highway as they clear the underpasses.

tommag
10-17-2022, 02:20 AM

That was a nasty one. Fortunately, I was able to use I-90 during that one. Very unusual to see N.D. close the interstate.

megasupermagnum
10-17-2022, 02:30 AM
In ND in winter,? -5, your kidding, right? Prepare for -30 and always park your tailgate to the wind

Unless you are way up north like Bottineau, it very rarely gets to -30. While I'm sure a block heater is never a bad idea, a modern diesel truck shouldn't have any issues. A 7.3 has a good reputation around here. If they won't start in -5 you have problems. Glow plugs don't last forever.

Edit: A quick search found that Fargo had a single day that got down to -27F at night this year, January 1st. Other than a few cold days, it rarely got below -10. Also remember that is only at night, actually probably early morning right at sunrise. The rest of the day is quite a bit warmer.

Only twice in my life I recall seeing colder than -30. That was in north-central MN. I saw -37F in Brainerd a few years back. Work was canceled, no travel advised. Everyone was throwing cups of hot water in the air. Some of us tried ice fishing only to find it wasn't worth it. The truck started just fine, but it is a gasoline.

jonp
10-17-2022, 04:41 AM
it very rarely gets to -30 which means it does. Prepare for it.

GhostHawk
10-17-2022, 09:39 AM
Living in a decent sized city you can ignore most of the problems. But, if you are traveling out, ALWAYS check the weather.
On snow and ice, slower is better. Mostly stay off the brakes unless you want to run into something/someone. Hitting the brakes hard you will lose control.

Drive about twice as far forward as most people are used to. Plan stops and turns at least a block in advance, 2 blocks if its snotty.
Leave 3 times as much distance between you and the closest car in front of you until you KNOW what your can can and will do under any condition.

Don't overcorrect. Small precise inputs are better than big skid causing ones.

Do be prepared. Murphy tends to pick on people that are not expecting him. The more you are prepared for trouble the less trouble you will see. There are simply too many easier marks out there.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-17-2022, 10:20 AM
For the vehicles, synthetic oil will let them start in the cold, for diesels fuel additives to prevent fuel jelling (gelling?) in the cold. Wind is the real enemy, moves the snow around, freezes fingers, ears, and face, blowing snow glazes roads with black ice, kills visibility. Working outside in -30*F is not so bad IF the sun is shining and the wind is quiet. Winds of 20-30mph are common, 50-60mph not rare. The wind can get tiresome and is a greater bother than the cold. Vehicles should have blankets, spare warm coats, pants, I keep candles in my pickups to add heat if things go wrong. DO NOT trust the weather, it changes VERY FAST on the high plains.

MaryB
10-17-2022, 01:08 PM
Unless you are way up north like Bottineau, it very rarely gets to -30. While I'm sure a block heater is never a bad idea, a modern diesel truck shouldn't have any issues. A 7.3 has a good reputation around here. If they won't start in -5 you have problems. Glow plugs don't last forever.

Edit: A quick search found that Fargo had a single day that got down to -27F at night this year, January 1st. Other than a few cold days, it rarely got below -10. Also remember that is only at night, actually probably early morning right at sunrise. The rest of the day is quite a bit warmer.

Only twice in my life I recall seeing colder than -30. That was in north-central MN. I saw -37F in Brainerd a few years back. Work was canceled, no travel advised. Everyone was throwing cups of hot water in the air. Some of us tried ice fishing only to find it wasn't worth it. The truck started just fine, but it is a gasoline.

Record low in MN was -60, well that was the point where the alcohol/water thermometer froze and broke... they estimated it hit -80 that night, cold as the surface of Mars! https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/960202_60_below.html

derek45
10-17-2022, 02:26 PM
Watch the movie "Fargo".

you betcha !

36g
10-17-2022, 02:41 PM
On the other hand, be prepared to marvel at the natural winter beauty. If it hits just right watch for the hoarforst on trees - that's the fluffy frost that covers things much like a light snowglobe covering, especially the bare branches of trees and bushes. Look for sun dogs - that kind of halo around the sun when the ice particles are in the air and diffract the sunlight. Enjoy the white landscapes - see the land contours and watch for the birds of prey and foxes and such. Maybe you will be lucky and see some bald eagles. You may even have the chance to find yourself in a situation where it's so quiet outside that you can hear the snowflakes hit the ground/snowcover. Instead of fighting the winter enjoy it!

MaryB
10-18-2022, 01:44 PM
On the other hand, be prepared to marvel at the natural winter beauty. If it hits just right watch for the hoarforst on trees - that's the fluffy frost that covers things much like a light snowglobe covering, especially the bare branches of trees and bushes. Look for sun dogs - that kind of halo around the sun when the ice particles are in the air and diffract the sunlight. Enjoy the white landscapes - see the land contours and watch for the birds of prey and foxes and such. Maybe you will be lucky and see some bald eagles. You may even have the chance to find yourself in a situation where it's so quiet outside that you can hear the snowflakes hit the ground/snowcover. Instead of fighting the winter enjoy it!

Like this...

https://i.imgur.com/jRVrJ6m.jpg

waksupi
10-19-2022, 12:01 PM
All you need to know.

https://youtu.be/V6VMIMtTduI

https://youtu.be/V6VMIMtTduI

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2022, 07:08 PM

Hey Beechbum
Are in in North Dakota today ?
no travel advised ;)

megasupermagnum
11-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Yeah it's pretty bad out here. It looks like the snow stayed more north west, and the eastern Dakota's got nothing but freezing rain. The roads are skating rinks of glare ice, and now we have light snow coming down which makes them death traps. Light fluffy snow on glare ice is the worst of the worst. It doesn't look like it will melt anytime soon either, it looks colder every day for the next week. How are things farther east? It looks like it was mostly rain there, but I assume it is freezing now.

BLAHUT
11-10-2022, 08:57 PM
Evening everybody, I'm headed north for the winter for a contract to North Dakota. I have never been that far north, especially during the winter. The GF got a job opening a kitchen at a resort across the state line in Minnestoa. I'm just looking for any info...what to bring, whatto expect, what to hunt, what to fish for................thought id start here...any and all info is appreciated

Regards

Right now 12 to 18" of blowing snow with freezing rain. Blizzard warnings, 5' to 6' drifts predicted.

megasupermagnum
11-10-2022, 09:34 PM
Right now 12 to 18" of blowing snow with freezing rain. Blizzard warnings, 5' to 6' drifts predicted.

Where is that?

toallmy
11-11-2022, 05:51 PM
I spent a few days riding around in the western side of South Dakota at the end of October with my little darling enjoying ourselves , but we cut the trip short when they called for a chance of snow . Well I guess we will just need to go back later to spend a little time in North Dakota .
I don't regret cutting the road trip short due to possible bad weather , but we spent a night 1 block away from Precision Reloading , and left before they opened . That breaks my heart .
Be safe

smkummer
11-11-2022, 06:24 PM
Simply by asking what to expect and do, is a big step. Lived my first 25 years in Minot and Grand Forks. I think it was the winter of 81-82 in Grand Forks the OAT didn’t get above 0F for over 30 days. Finally had a fuel injected vehicle my last year in ND, it started way easier than the carb. engines. I was going to add, that if you add indoor activities such as bowling, racketball etc., it helps with the long nights to stay away from too much drinking. If you wear the correct clothing, you can go for walks even when really cold. Again, find activities after work. It makes the winter go by faster.

MaryB
11-12-2022, 02:37 PM
Simply by asking what to expect and do, is a big step. Lived my first 25 years in Minot and Grand Forks. I think it was the winter of 81-82 in Grand Forks the OAT didn’t get above 0F for over 30 days. Finally had a fuel injected vehicle my last year in ND, it started way easier than the carb. engines. I was going to add, that if you add indoor activities such as bowling, racketball etc., it helps with the long nights to stay away from too much drinking. If you wear the correct clothing, you can go for walks even when really cold. Again, find activities after work. It makes the winter go by faster.

I got my ham radio license when I was 14... 48 years ago. It has been a huge boon during long cold winters in MN! I have a window to the world while staying indoors. Ice fishing in a nice ice house is a great way to get out and about. It is usually a roaming party on the lake as people go from ice house to ice house to chat, have a beer, see where on the lake the fish are biting... get some exercise walking out and walking around, and running to the tip up set outside your window!

DougGuy
11-17-2022, 03:15 PM
Living in a decent sized city you can ignore most of the problems. But, if you are traveling out, ALWAYS check the weather.

Do be prepared. Murphy tends to pick on people that are not expecting him. The more you are prepared for trouble the less trouble you will see. There are simply too many easier marks out there.

Take extra fuel if you can, do you know how many miles and miles and miles of dakota roads you can travel before you EVER see a gas station? I went to Bottineau from Fargo once, sheesh the mailboxes were 20mi apart!

I didn't need gas at the time, but you can believe I was damn glad I filled up in Fargo just out of common sense..

G W Wade
11-17-2022, 04:01 PM
Heck,b we are so proud of are trees we hook them together with wire. GW

megasupermagnum
11-17-2022, 10:52 PM
Take extra fuel if you can, do you know how many miles and miles and miles of dakota roads you can travel before you EVER see a gas station? I went to Bottineau from Fargo once, sheesh the mailboxes were 20mi apart!

I didn't need gas at the time, but you can believe I was damn glad I filled up in Fargo just out of common sense..

And that's the most populated area of the state. :mrgreen: It gets less from there.

The gas station thing is very true, but don't look for gas stations. A lot of places that sell gas aren't on google either. They are often Co-op's, grocery stores, and one I even found a bar with gas. Not a gas pump across from the bar, the bar was the only building for miles, and it owned a gas pump there. South Dakota is the same way. The problem with a lot of these rural gas pumps is they are only available when the store is open. Even the card reader pumps often turn off at night or on weekends for reasons I can only guess.

So yes, fill up when you can if you don't think you can make it to where you are going.

trebor44
11-18-2022, 09:52 AM
I always liked the locomotive crossing the iced over river at Bismarck before the bridge was built! https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/railtalk/heritage/mandan-bismarck.html#:~:text=A%20Northern%20Pacific%20tra in%20crosses,River%20from%20Bismarck%20to%20Mandan .

MaryB
11-18-2022, 02:43 PM
I always liked the locomotive crossing the iced over river at Bismarck before the bridge was built! https://www.bnsf.com/news-media/railtalk/heritage/mandan-bismarck.html#:~:text=A%20Northern%20Pacific%20tra in%20crosses,River%20from%20Bismarck%20to%20Mandan .

SO many communities in MN started that way, town I live in is on a small rail carrier spur line(Minnesota Prairie Line, part of Twin Cities and Western Railroad). But many of the towns are dwindling, we lose a business every few years... pretty much down to the co-op shipping grain, the bank, co-op oil company, and post office... part of it is a city council that is hostile to outsiders opening a business in town... part of it is a population that is aging...