PDA

View Full Version : Pooofer wanted?

georgerkahn
10-11-2022, 07:41 PM
My large stand-up Ingersol Rand air compressor -- made in 1947 -- works (safely, to me) no more. At my age and conditions, I cannot justify dropping big bucks for a similar replacement.
Which is why I turn to the wonderful, knowledgeable master 'smiths on this site.
(OK -- 'sucking up' :) done) -- I reckon ALL i need is a unit to propel a GOOOOD stream of air from a nozzle, 99.9% of the time exclusively for cleaning. I do not need/wish to run any air tool, paint, similar.
"Out there" are el cheapo Harbor Freight and similar little guys; and, "roofing type" (would they work) pancake compressors, and many, many variations -- any of which prove my ignorance on the subject of a reasonable-priced, WELL MADE unit which -- when I wish it -- I can simply plug into 110V AC, turn on, and have a good stream of air come out.
Advise?

Thanks much!!!! geo

BLAHUT
10-11-2022, 07:46 PM
I bought a small twin tank from harbor freight a number of years ago, for nailing oak strip flooring. Cheap and works great, has run constant, for 12 hours a day, some days with no problem, still going strong.

redneck1
10-11-2022, 07:49 PM
A good shop vac , most will let you pull the motor out and hook the hose to the outlet ,... instant blower .

kenton
10-11-2022, 07:52 PM
A friend of mine buys electronics duster in bulk and uses it in his garage/home machine shop. He said he was tired of hearing the compressor run and waiting for it to pump up every time it sat for a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Duster-Canned-Air-6-Pack/dp/B00FM58A7I/ref=asc_df_B00FM58A7I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6182339446296153158&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-568906469020&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62412137260&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6182339446296153158&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-568906469020

HWooldridge
10-11-2022, 07:54 PM
Have you considered fixing the IR? I would try that first, since it will surely run another 75 years if properly rebuilt.

Winger Ed.
10-11-2022, 07:56 PM
How big of a deal is it to fix?

There's only 4-5 components for one, and they're all pretty universal.

M-Tecs
10-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Most of the cheap units are functional but they use oil-free compressors and they tend to be LOUD.

John Taylor
10-11-2022, 08:13 PM
About 40 years ago I bought a 2 HP compressor. I did not send in the registration so I never was told about the recall. One day while running the mill a few feet from the compressor there was a loud explosion. The seam on the tank let go and sense the compressor was under the bench and the seam was on the bottom, stuff on the bench went every where. It took several feet of the corner wall out along with clearing all the dust out of the corner. Luckily the only thing that happened to me was shaky knees for a while. I had to get a lawyer to get the company to replace the wall. The drill bit holder was on top of the bench so I was finding drills months later.

indian joe
10-11-2022, 08:19 PM
My large stand-up Ingersol Rand air compressor -- made in 1947 -- works (safely, to me) no more. At my age and conditions, I cannot justify dropping big bucks for a similar replacement.
Which is why I turn to the wonderful, knowledgeable master 'smiths on this site.
(OK -- 'sucking up' :) done) -- I reckon ALL i need is a unit to propel a GOOOOD stream of air from a nozzle, 99.9% of the time exclusively for cleaning. I do not need/wish to run any air tool, paint, similar.
"Out there" are el cheapo Harbor Freight and similar little guys; and, "roofing type" (would they work) pancake compressors, and many, many variations -- any of which prove my ignorance on the subject of a reasonable-priced, WELL MADE unit which -- when I wish it -- I can simply plug into 110V AC, turn on, and have a good stream of air come out.
Advise?

Thanks much!!!! geo

who is doin well made anymore ? certainly not in the reasonably priced range

I have two elcheapo china compressors - direct coupled, oil units. One is five years or more still going fine - they cost a tad over $100aussie now - if you go that way make sure you get it with the two outlet plugs - one is full tank pressure for tyres and blowing stuff, two is pressure regulated for working nail guns, staplers etc -

we have one in the car garage at the house and other in the workshop 120 yards away up the hill. Son has a Ryobi that he paid decent money for and its been junk from day one, bad luck I guess.

LAGS
10-11-2022, 08:26 PM
I bought a HF 8 gal air compressor back in 2008.
I still have it and use it.
It takes a little more time to come up to full pressure then it use to.
I use to use it on my bead blaster , but It didn't have a large air captisity to blast for long times.
Now for the most part I use a commercial air compressor that I was given when a shop bought themselves a bigger compressor.
It needed a little work since it was so old.
But the replacement parts didn't cost that much.

Nueces
10-11-2022, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the poofer can recommendation, I just ordered some. George, you may also consider a California Air Tools small compressor, like this one I have for airing tires:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077CNLPBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

$178 with Prime, 56 decibels when running, runs on 110V AC, can carry with one hand. Garage, driveway, shop, fill the air bladder on my well pressure tank, carry to a remote site.

I see larger ones in semi-pro shops hereabouts.

M-Tecs
10-11-2022, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the poofer can recommendation, I just ordered some. George, you may also consider a California Air Tools small compressor, like this one I have for airing tires:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077CNLPBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

$178 with Prime, 56 decibels when running, runs on 110V AC, can carry with one hand. Garage, driveway, shop, fill the air bladder on my well pressure tank, carry to a remote site.

I see larger ones in semi-pro shops hereabouts.

I'm impressed. I went to their web site they have some really quiet oil-free compressors.

Geezer in NH
10-11-2022, 11:11 PM
I'd go to HF and check all of them out. But at my age most may outlast me.

DougGuy
10-12-2022, 12:41 AM
Don't overlook Craigslist either. Should be some listings in your area.

I bought a 5HP 220v Sanborn portable compressor out of CL for $200 like new, very low hours, I don't ever hear it come on, and it usually only runs if I am using it. I bought it to run off my diesel Miller welder, it will run a carbon arc rig pretty good, that uses a LOT of air but it keeps up with it.

deltaenterprizes
10-12-2022, 04:51 AM
I recently bought a twin cylinder 25 gallon horizontal compressor from Tractor Supply for $400.

One of my air hoses had a hole melted in it by a hot chip from my milling machine and the compressor ran for 3 days with no I’ll effects!
I did not plan to run a test like that but it did not burn up so I am happy!

It is Chinese made.

georgerkahn
10-12-2022, 09:33 AM
THANKS TO ALL!!!!! (I knew this would be best place to ask :))
First, re my IR unit, I bought is Xth -hand in early 1970's, and both the compressor and 2hp / 230V motor needed rebuild. Plus, the air controller was shot. BUT -- the deal I got made it quite the bargain. Four or five years ago, the controller went and after a several-month (literal!) search I located, bion, a brand new one from a shop which may have been opened by a friend of Fred Flintstone ;). This part again has failed... And -- me bad! -- I never drained water from bottom as I should have, and there is a bit of rust inside tank. "OK" -- back then the tank steel was incredibly heavy, so I might be OK... BUT, while I do wish to go to heaven, I'm in no hurry to get there.
This, compounded with a leg which has kind of failed and the increasing number of candles on my birthday cakes -- I *ONLY* need (actually, "would like to have" as a more accurate expression) something to blow some air at high velocity for cleaning. (I have both Milwaukee M12 and a Ryobi tire inflators, so that need is met; 12V and 110V Impact guns; and, my days of using any pneumatic tools are over...)
Bion, I explored the canned-air -- a product each from Harbor Freight and Lowe's -- and while they're great for keyboards et cetera, for my needs I wish more than comes out of a can.
I have been gravitating towards the $99.00 Porter Cable 6 gallon, but will definitely look into the CAT (thank you, M_Tecs). And, I may just check out Harbor Freight's offerings. The Tractor Supply one seems a wee bit too much for my wants, but thanks, too, to deltaenterprizes.
Thanks again to all!
geo

Soundguy
10-12-2022, 10:07 AM
Most of the cheap units are functional but they use oil-free compressors and they tend to be LOUD.

Agreed.. almost all of the new pancake and small tank style compressors are very loud due to being oil-less.

They tend to not last as long as well.

To the OP... what air pressure are you looking for.. and how much CFM? That's the question.

Any small compressor will make in the 110-150psi range.. with most being about 120-135.. the CFM is what gets you.. not enough storage volume and not enough continuous generation.

If you are just looking to blow out a gun action for 20-30 seconds.. and then don't mind to hear a 90db motor run for about 2-3 minutes between uses.. then yeah.. the cheapest unit you can find at harbor freight will work. 69-79$ for a 110 psi 3 gallon unit. For about 2-2.5x that you get an 8-10g unit at 150 psi. If you need any real volume.. say more than a couple minutes of air at a time.... I'd look at a 29g unit...

PS.. what's wrong with the old unit? tank still good? if yes.. you can plumb them in together.... takes a while for a small compressor to fill it's own tank and a 60g tank.. many cycles likely.. but if the old unit just won't run.. but doesn't leak.. you could keep a ton of reserve air in it.

Soundguy
10-12-2022, 10:17 AM
a quick search shows that for a 60g upright.. a craftsman at lowes is 900$,, and Husky at Home Depot. ( I have one.. bought back when they were about 450$ )

770$ at Rural King

Harbor freight is not showing any 60g stationary models

Bazoo
10-12-2022, 12:08 PM
Consider a cheap oilless and hook it up to the big one to charge the tank. Make it as a holding tank. Drain the water once and put a bit of oil in there to arrest the rust and it’ll be fine. But I’m not the one it’ll boom on so that’s what I think.

waksupi
10-12-2022, 12:21 PM
I would avoid the small contractor units. I used one on a sand blasting cabinet, burned it out in short order from constantly running when being used.

MrWolf
10-12-2022, 06:59 PM
I have the small HF compressor ultra quiet 1 hp compressor for my reloading/ inside house shop (converted a bedroom). I use it for blowing dust off, etc. It is very quiet. No complaints.

NyFirefighter357
10-12-2022, 09:24 PM
Get a cheap electric leaf blower. I have 2 sizes I got them both for cheap/free. You can buy them new for $50 and under.

wilecoyote
10-12-2022, 10:13 PM
if you have any friend who repairs or maintains refrigerators, he will be able to show you how to use the electric motor of any abandoned fridge to connect it to a cylinder and get what you need for little bucks.
(the motor of quiet compressors is nothing more than a refrigerator motor)_
I use two or three of them, built in this way_
and I have a pathological tendency to accumulate fridge engines, of course :oops:

feel free to PM me if you need photos about them, so you know what to ask and look for.

... I forgot to add that when one of these engines breaks, it is not difficult to change it with another one from anyone who collects refrigerators for their disposal, or from anyone who decides to change this appliance_

Omega
10-12-2022, 11:08 PM
I got a small compressor at Lowes to use with some of my air tools, it works great for most things and would work great for your purposes. It is pretty quite, very comparable to the more expensive units, and only about $150. I had it paired with a cheap generator and finished up a bunch of the trim work in my shoot house. Worked pretty good, plenty of air for my nail guns, just needs to run constantly when using air intensive tools, like a ratchet or impact wrench.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIET-TECH-2-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor/1001014016
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/productimages/6a02d229-abcf-4f64-98e1-dba66b421fe3/08563588.jpg?size=pdhism
https://i.imgur.com/U7qK6fA.jpg

fallingblock
10-13-2022, 08:15 AM
I’v got the 6gal Porter-Cable pancake, it’s loud but it’s worked good for me. I got it for under $100 bucks at a Black Friday sale a few years ago.

Soundguy
10-13-2022, 08:22 AM
Speaking of that..air compressors gone up bad..my harbor freight pancake cost me 49$ and my husky upright under 500..i have a 29g one too.. Seem to remember 130 to 150$.. Now everything is near double...

georgerkahn
10-13-2022, 02:44 PM
Thanks again for all -- here's an update:
1st, re advice (thanks much!) re repair/refurbish my unit, the 1947 motor has gotten quite tired (I can smell ozone when it runs a few cycles); the air-control unit (which was almost impossible to find and set me back roughly $200.00 five or six years back) is shot -- my option (which I've :( been using) is to flip on breaker box with single 2-pole breaker in it and watch pressure gauge; when it gets up to ~130lbs. I turn it off. I can hear the ssssssssssssss as air leaks back, and I have about fifteen to twenty minutes use time. And, as stated, I never (should've ;)) drained water as frequently as I should have...so, again as I previously wrote, I DO wish to go to heaven -- but am in NO hurry to get there :) :) :)!
BOTTOM LINE? No matter what I elect will cost me more bucks than simply buying a small portable unit I can use in the reloading room as well as take out to garage -- in both cases, needing pretty much no more than a high air velocity blower. Heating with wood, I really find a blower as almost a necessity for maintenance of my several Stihl chainsaws -- if nothing else!
Sooooooo -- listening to your valuable suggestions, and (maybe I got lucky?) with "Prime Oct 11-12" on Amazon, I have a $99.00 6-gallon Pancake coming. One of the beauties of Amazon is that I have a half-dozen chainsaws in need of getting poofing, and this detail alone should prove or disprove its worth. If the latter -- it IS returnable -- and my #2 choice will be the CAT unit. No plans to run pneumatic tools; do roofing ;); et cetera -- just provide a pooof with gusto from reloading tools/projects in den, to, outdoor gear.
God willing, this Porter Cable -- I believe it be the one fallingblock mentioned as having -- (thanks) should do me.
geo

georgerkahn
10-13-2022, 03:13 PM
About 40 years ago I bought a 2 HP compressor. I did not send in the registration so I never was told about the recall. One day while running the mill a few feet from the compressor there was a loud explosion. The seam on the tank let go and sense the compressor was under the bench and the seam was on the bottom, stuff on the bench went every where. It took several feet of the corner wall out along with clearing all the dust out of the corner. Luckily the only thing that happened to me was shaky knees for a while. I had to get a lawyer to get the company to replace the wall. The drill bit holder was on top of the bench so I was finding drills months later.

An addendum to my prior comments: A very close friend had a unit not too dissimilar as mine -- another dinosaur compressor -- and his wife noted she had an almost flat tire. With zero pounds in tank she turned it on to get sufficient air for tire inflation, and somewhere along the line (and she's not a teeny/skinny gal) she hit the wall, maybe 12 feet away! And -- she was able to see most of the bone from her left wrist to elbow where all the skin/muscle/etc had blown off. Miracle of miracles, albeit it took better than a year and one-half, she kept the arm/hand and has -- according to her -- better than maybe 3/4s use of it; pinky and ring finger do not move that well... I've never seen what it looks like -- she always wears long sleeved tops. Thankfully, one of their boys heard the explosion, ran to garage and threw mom in car with a Hefty garbage bag over damages -- raced to hospital with tire still flat! She was air-lifted to a trauma centre, and they were immediately told she'd most likely lose the arm... I repeat: a miracle, indeed!
My unit has a manufacture date of 1947 on it and it was very, very much used unit before I bought it with both a non-functioning compressor and motor mounted atop the tank... At my present age of 74 -- I do hope I'll have a lot more functioning years than I very well may have the privilege to have...life...
You were indeed so very lucky (no personal injury)! I cannot get Rick's wife arm injury out of my mind... hence, "repairs" to my unit -- now -- are not even being considered. I have a couple of oxygen tanks for my Oxy/Acetylene welder with 3,000 lbs; her -- our PCP airguns tanks hold air in this range... Who'd a thunk less than 100 pounds could do that much damage???? A risk this fellow's not about to take.
geo

dverna
10-13-2022, 06:27 PM
George, stories like that are worth sharing. People do stupid stuff to save some dollars or time.

You made the right decision to get a new unit.

elmacgyver0
10-13-2022, 06:36 PM
Confucius say,
Once you have a compressor, you can't live without one.

MrWolf
10-14-2022, 09:24 AM
The tank on my old Craftsman tube compressor finally dies from to much rust. I was gonna just convert an expansion tank I have which I rated for over 100 psi's. Not sure it is worth it vs a new tank or unit based on some of the horror stories on here.

Shawlerbrook
10-14-2022, 01:37 PM
I have a small upright California compressor and it works great for almost 10 years.

Soundguy
10-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Heavy wall 4" pipe makes great tube tanks...

wilecoyote
10-14-2022, 04:03 PM
Heavy wall 4" pipe makes great tube tanks...

I agree, and scuba tanks and fire extinguishers can save a lot of work when used as a reservoir for compressor air_