PDA

View Full Version : Universal depriming die?

jaysouth
10-10-2022, 10:08 PM
I lost my Lee universal depriming tool in a move. Is there a better brand to buy?

BLAHUT
10-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Tried others. I like the lee.

loveruger
10-10-2022, 10:24 PM
Rcbs

G W Wade
10-10-2022, 10:35 PM
Been using an RCBS for over 20 years, no problems GW

Harter66
10-10-2022, 11:29 PM
I've only used the RCBS.

If you're likely to encounter a significant number of Berdan cases the Lee unit is probably a better arrangement. I don't as a rule .

rcslotcar
10-10-2022, 11:50 PM
Rcbs

JimB..
10-10-2022, 11:55 PM
Hate the spring loaded decapping pin RCBS uses. Like Lee better.
I have some mac-daddy die from FW, have never used it.

M-Tecs
10-11-2022, 12:26 AM
Hate the spring loaded decapping pin RCBS uses. Like Lee better.
I have some mac-daddy die from FW, have never used it.

Lyman uses the spring-loaded decapping pin not RCBS.

JimB..
10-11-2022, 05:48 AM
Lyman uses the spring-loaded decapping pin not RCBS.
All mine look like this. Maybe they make both?
https://www.rcbs.com/reloading/powr-punch-decap-rod/16-9627.html

This may have a fixed pin, not sure.
https://www.rcbs.com/spare-parts-and-extras/decap-units-and-pins/replacement-parts/decap-unit-heavy-duty/16-87586.html

pworley1
10-11-2022, 06:23 AM
They all work fine, but I use the Lee most.

Sasquatch-1
10-11-2022, 06:43 AM
If you are de-priming on a single stage press, why not try the Frankfurt Arsenal hand de-primer?

Ed_Shot
10-11-2022, 08:00 AM
Use a Lyman M1 or M2 die body to suit case length and the de-capping rod assy out of a Lyman 38/357 sizing die (bet other Lyman de-capping rods for straight walled cartridges would work also) and BINGO you have a free universal de-capper. I've use an M1 die body to de-cap .223 Rem and .308 Win range pick-up brass for cleaning prior to sizing. Crimped primers are not problem but a berdan primed case will ruin your day.

M-Tecs
10-11-2022, 01:13 PM
All mine look like this. Maybe they make both?

This may have a fixed pin, not sure.
https://www.rcbs.com/spare-parts-and-extras/decap-units-and-pins/replacement-parts/decap-unit-heavy-duty/16-87586.html

I stand corrected. All mine in the Universal dies are the fixed type like this:
https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/decap-die-heavy-duty/2078.html
https://www.rcbs.com/search?q=DECAP&search-button=&lang=default

I can't find the pow'r punch decap rods offered in the universal die. Did they come with your or did you have to order them separately?

The Pow'r Punch Decap Rod is designed for use with pistol calibers in progressive presses. The rod has a spring-loaded decapping pin that ensures the spent primer is always fully ejected from the primer pocket. It eliminates indexing problems with progressive presses caused by the spent primer jamming the shell plate. The Pow'r Punch Decap Rod works in all RCBSŪ pistol sizer dies; RCBS pistol sizing dies equipped with the Pow'r Punch Decap Rod Assembly

pertnear
10-11-2022, 02:19 PM
I lost my Lee universal depriming tool in a move. Is there a better brand to buy?

Yes, there is.

Do your self a favor & get the Universal decapping die & pins from Mighty Armory. I've tried several & this is the best & never broke or replaced a pin.

jonp
10-11-2022, 06:28 PM
Been using the Lee for years without any broken pins and just a few days ago on some 10mm brass. Don't thing you can reinvent the wheel any better. Pretty simple device and Lee just makes it cheaper than others.

Bazoo
10-11-2022, 08:55 PM
I like my lyman unit. It never offers any trouble.

JimB..
10-11-2022, 09:11 PM
I stand corrected. All mine in the Universal dies are the fixed type like this:
https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/decap-die-heavy-duty/2078.html
https://www.rcbs.com/search?q=DECAP&search-button=&lang=default

I can't find the pow'r punch decap rods offered in the universal die. Did they come with your or did you have to order them separately?

The Pow'r Punch Decap Rod is designed for use with pistol calibers in progressive presses. The rod has a spring-loaded decapping pin that ensures the spent primer is always fully ejected from the primer pocket. It eliminates indexing problems with progressive presses caused by the spent primer jamming the shell plate. The Pow'r Punch Decap Rod works in all RCBSŪ pistol sizer dies; RCBS pistol sizing dies equipped with the Pow'r Punch Decap Rod Assembly
I didn’t buy them new, got them from an estate, so maybe the last guy assembled them. Anyway, the spring in there only lasts a few rounds.

powwowell
11-25-2022, 11:13 AM
Lee is the only one I have ever used. Nary a problem. Ever.

Texas by God
11-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Lee is the only one I have ever used. Nary a problem. Ever.This. Mine was given to me when a friend moved away.
Until I used it, I never knew I needed one.
I painted it for easy ID and keep it near my press.
He has moved back here, but he ain't getting it back......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

BLAHUT
11-25-2022, 01:00 PM
I have tried them all and keep going back to LEE. Lee works...

brassrat
11-26-2022, 07:27 PM
I only have Lee dies and quite a few plus the universal. I have never had a problem or broke any...oh never mind.

Sam Sackett
12-01-2022, 08:23 PM
I have both the Lee and the RCBS small decap dies. The RCBS can be a pain to get the decap pin lined up initially, but once it is they both work fine.

Sam Sackett

wilecoyote
12-01-2022, 10:29 PM
Lee univ. d. die mounted on a Lee Reloader press as permanent combo.
cheap, and 22 years without problems.

GhostHawk
12-02-2022, 07:58 AM
The only alternative I will offer is Frankford Arsenal does make a depriming hand tool. Quickly and easily adjusts with 3 plastic collets from pistol brass up to full sized rile rounds.

I like it because.

A I can use it in the living room while watching TV or Youtube.
B After depriming its a slam dunk to give the whole batch a citric acid wash and rinse.
C After that I like to run a brush into primer pockets to clean them.
D Then each piece of brass gets rolled on a towel laying on my leg. This final step catches all splits and problem children who go into the recycle pile.
While rolling brass are sorted into caliber, then dried. Clean and dry they are ready to go through my dies to be prepped for the next load.

E My dies have never been happier.

F I don't tumble or polish. I'm not that OCD about my brass, yet. A good citric acid was lets me see down the inside clear to the flash hole.
Outsides may not look new, but I don't have to be ashamed of them either.

And all of it falls into place as a dirrect result of the FA hand tool.

That being said I do also have the lee depriming tool, and it also works well. Just a matter of which one fits your process better.

Sasquatch-1
12-02-2022, 09:09 AM
The only alternative I will offer is Frankford Arsenal does make a depriming hand tool. Quickly and easily adjusts with 3 plastic collets from pistol brass up to full sized rile rounds.

I like it because.

A I can use it in the living room while watching TV or Youtube.
B After depriming its a slam dunk to give the whole batch a citric acid wash and rinse.
C After that I like to run a brush into primer pockets to clean them.
D Then each piece of brass gets rolled on a towel laying on my leg. This final step catches all splits and problem children who go into the recycle pile.
While rolling brass are sorted into caliber, then dried. Clean and dry they are ready to go through my dies to be prepped for the next load.

E My dies have never been happier.

F I don't tumble or polish. I'm not that OCD about my brass, yet. A good citric acid was lets me see down the inside clear to the flash hole.
Outsides may not look new, but I don't have to be ashamed of them either.

And all of it falls into place as a dirrect result of the FA hand tool.

That being said I do also have the lee depriming tool, and it also works well. Just a matter of which one fits your process better.

+1 on the FA de-primer. You did leave out one important +, spent primers stay in the cup not on the floor.

ddeck22
12-02-2022, 10:29 AM
I use the Lee Universal depriming tool. Bought 5 extra decapping pins just in case. I usually wash the brass first since it goes through my Hornady LnL in order to deprime. With a case feeder, it just goes so quickly. The press does have to be cleaned afterwards, but the process moves very quickly. Which is great for high volume (like 9, 40, 223)

Alstep
12-05-2022, 03:47 PM
The Lee will accept fatter brass, like the 348 Win. RCBS doesn't.

1hole
12-05-2022, 10:24 PM
Lee univ. d. die mounted on a Lee Reloader press as permanent combo.
cheap, and 22 years without problems.

Ditto. And I still LOVE that decapping combination.

charlie b
12-05-2022, 10:38 PM
I like the Lee one. The other benefit is Lee has some center posts that are 'fatter' to fit the case being deprimed. Means the pin is almost always centered in the case. I ended up with a decap die for each of my pistol calibers, mounted on the turret for that caliber. (1st station decap, 2nd resize and prime, 3rd expand and charge, 4th seat bullet, 5th crimp)

MSUICEMAN
12-07-2022, 09:19 PM
lee. cheap. effective. a couple years ago i got a few for 12 bucks each so i have them in multiple toolheads and the lee APP.

12-08-2022, 12:44 AM
+1 for Lee Universal. It's been so long without any issues, I can't tell you how far back I started with one.

GregLaROCHE
12-08-2022, 12:57 AM
After breaking the pins on several de-priming/sizing dies, I got a Lee and it’s worked great for me ever since.

Shawlerbrook
12-08-2022, 03:22 PM
+ another for the Lee Universal .

yancey
12-11-2022, 01:19 PM
Broke the de-cap pin on my lee Universal (My fault) two weeks ago after several years of service and thousands rounds of brass ran through the die. Another lee fan of this lee Universal .

Geezer in NH
12-11-2022, 10:34 PM
I have used a lee for years. I keep half a dozen pin assembly's because by my own fault break or bend them when in a rush to decap a few thousand cases. Sometimes the stay together when you decap a Berdan primed but usually they buckle.

If I lost mine I would just but another Lee.

Fitz
12-11-2022, 10:46 PM
Check out Mighty Arrmory,s ,he has a good die with replaceable pins and what he calls a flicker spring , I de-prime los of military brass with crimped primers and needed something a bit more than the lee or RCBS

samari46
12-12-2022, 01:12 AM
Fitz, have the same decapping die by Mighty Armory. Did buy extra large and small decapping pins though. Frank

robertbank
12-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Hard to beat the Lee. Works great for me.

Take Care

Bob

fatnhappy
12-14-2022, 07:10 AM
Check out Mighty Arrmory,s ,he has a good die with replaceable pins and what he calls a flicker spring , I de-prime los of military brass with crimped primers and needed something a bit more than the lee or RCBS

Fitz and I are of the same opinion.
I gave away both of my RCBS depriming dies after I bought a mighty armory.

Ymmv

Shawlerbrook
12-14-2022, 08:04 AM
Fitz, Samari and fatnhappy, please expand on what makes the mighty armory better than the Lee. Not looking to be that guy, but really would like to know more about it.

higgins
12-14-2022, 06:01 PM
Just a few days ago I got the Lee for $10 from Midway. Glad I noticed it when putting an order together. Based on limited use I think it will serve my needs, and the price is certainly right, even when not on sale.

Sam Sackett
12-15-2022, 08:22 PM
The Lee will accept fatter brass, like the 348 Win. RCBS doesn't.

RCBS sells two different sizes. I only have the small one, but it does everything up to 308. Which size do you have?

Sam Sackett

Ickisrulz
12-16-2022, 10:42 PM
It's not a die, but it works great: Harvey Deprimer.

https://harveydeprimer.com/

For a die, the LEE works well and is cheap.

slim1836
12-18-2022, 03:43 PM
Will the LEE universal decapping die work on 30-06 cases?

Slim

Stewbaby
12-18-2022, 06:18 PM
Will the LEE universal decapping die work on 30-06 cases?

Slim

Yes, all week long and twice on Sunday.

PS: upgrade the pin to the Squirrel Daddy hardened pin and never worry about breaking a pin even on Berdan…if you keep pulling, it just makes a new hole!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221218/c4d71014e083145240393f03f5a704cf.jpg

lightman
12-21-2022, 03:11 PM
The Lee is hard to beat. I paid $9.99 for it. I've deprimed thousands of cases with it with only one broken pin. That case had a piece of pea gravel in it. Buy the Lee and a package of Squirrel Daddy pins and don't look back. The Might Armory Die looks and sounds good but I already have the Lee.

Willie T
12-28-2022, 01:59 AM
The Lee universal decapping die is what I use. Good tool.

catmandu
01-02-2023, 10:41 PM
Lee Universal die in the Lee APP press as a stand alone depriming precess.

Paul

1hole
01-09-2023, 11:10 PM

No.

tinsnips
02-16-2023, 11:12 PM
Lee is hard to beat, it is cheap an lasts forever.

pa.frank
02-28-2023, 11:13 AM
Yes, there is.

Do your self a favor & get the Universal decapping die & pins from Mighty Armory. I've tried several & this is the best & never broke or replaced a pin.

Never heard of this outfit, but in looking thru their site and reading up on their stuff, I AM IMPRESSED. and I'm gonna get me one!

Kestrel4k
02-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Late to the thread I know, but I have been using the Harvey (hand) deprimer; /very/ impressed, I always hated having to swap dies every time I needed to pop out a misc primer out of the normal reloading sequence. Is also nice to decap when breaking down defective/unknown ammo without getting the dies & press out.

https://harveydeprimer.com/

I have used it for doing /a lot/ of USGI M2 brass w/ the crimped in primer; it had more than enough power & stroke to virtually swage out very old military primers that had corroded into the brass case.

I even met the local designer/builder; he is a detail-oriented design engineer for sure. :-)