PDA

View Full Version : Martini Henry sights

redneck1
10-10-2022, 02:29 PM
I have some free time to use up during the day and a little tormach mill sitting idle with nothing to do .
So I think I'd like to make a rear sight for my martini Henry .

I am open to suggestions ... pictures please .
I think a side mount would be easiest but I'm open minded .
Windage and elevation to 600 yards is the goal .

john.k
10-12-2022, 08:54 PM
There is a simple aperature sight that uses the extractor/front screw (which is 1/4 UNC) and an extended block pivot screw ......no extra holes needed........on mine I made the side mount with the angled attachment to fit the Rawson range sight (to 1000yds in 303)from my 303 military days,but I could have made it to fit a Lyman off a 94 Win just as easily.......Some have also mounted a tang type sight on the wood,or welded a short tang onto the rear of the reciever.

redneck1
10-13-2022, 01:04 PM
I've a bit more ambition then just adapting a sight to the rifle , not because you can't make a Lyman or similar sight work well .
You can , but to my eye they never look right .

And that's where I'm struggling , what would look right on the rifle .

HWooldridge
10-13-2022, 10:11 PM
How about a Model 21 “Climbin’ Lyman”, such as was used on the 1895 Winchester.

Bad Ass Wallace
10-14-2022, 04:13 AM
I was fortunate to secure an original "Meus" range aperature for the Martini Henry.

https://i.imgur.com/QEeAGcrl.jpg

redneck1
10-14-2022, 01:40 PM
I'd sure like a better look at the meus sight , from the back side if it's possible .

john.k
10-18-2022, 08:19 AM
The sight I made is quite similar......uses existing holes in the Martini to mount............however ,its quite restrictive for loading if too far forward,and will crowd your grip if too far back.

redneck1
10-18-2022, 04:23 PM
I've modeled up a couple ideas I had , and being a lefty that is an issue I've run into . It's not insurmountable by any means .
I'll just have to get a little more creative and cut some actual metal , I work best with visual aids .