PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 Sizer problem

Blkpwdrbuff
01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi guys, I hope you can help me.
I had a Lyman 450 lubrisizer and the o-ring kept blowing, so I contacted Lyman.
They asked me to send it in, which I did. They informed me for $40 they would upgrade it to a 4500. OK, I did that.
Now the problem.
I had never lubed the Lyman 356632 bullet before.
When I lube it in my upgraded 4500, the push out rod doesn't push the bullet out far enough to easily grab it.
IF I put the wrench between the push out rod and the knockout link it seems to rise up farther.
Am I doing something wrong, or missing something when I install the sizing die?
I'm open to all suggestions.
I don't seem to have this problem with my .41 bullets, and I haven't sized any Lyman 401638 Devastators to see if I have the problem with these.
Sorry for the book length post.
any help would be much appreciated.
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

monadnock#5
01-31-2009, 12:51 AM
The best thing one can say about the Lyman lubesizer is that it gets the job done. It's not very user friendly. The learning curve is long and shallow (decay curve). It's what I use.

Try to keep the push rod free of lube. A lot of the difficulty you're having is from lube gluing the boolits to the rod. You can send your dies to Buckshot, who will dish the rod slightly and drill a hole through the rod. A smaller contact area makes it easier to free the boolit, and the hole acts as a drain for excess lube. A disc of Styrofoam meat tray (use a fired case as a cookie cutter) on top of the rod also reduces sticky boolits. As to technique, you will learn to adjust your dies properly only through trial and error, and when you go to remove a boolit, tip it sideways first to break the vacuum seal. I hope this helps.