PDA

View Full Version : Dipper for 6 Cavity Mold

rigger
10-07-2022, 02:24 PM
Does anyone use a dipper for a 6 cavity mold. I am casting .490 round balls for my muzzleloader and have been using a Lee 2 cavity mold. It takes a while to cast balls and I use a dipper. I was thinking about ordering a 6 cavity or getting another 2 cavity to speed up the process. Which would be the best way to go?

crandall crank
10-07-2022, 04:14 PM
I use a bottom pour pot for all of my 6 cavity molds. It is the fastest way for me to cast. While I enjoy casting, I don't want to spend any more time than I have to.

Winger Ed.
10-07-2022, 04:35 PM
Get comfortable, and once you get a rythem going you should be able to drop from the 2 cavity about every 15-20 seconds.

Using a dipper- The 6 cavity doesn't really sound practical.

Mk42gunner
10-07-2022, 06:00 PM
I do use an RCBS dipper with my six cavity molds occasionally. It works well up to about 180-200 grain boolits with one dip. Doing a 250 or so, I fill three cavities then dip again.

It is not as fast as using a bottom pour pot, but it is doable.

I have never used a six cavity RB mold; but going by the way an old Lee two cavity works, once the mold is up to temp it should go fast.

Robert

Misery-Whip
10-07-2022, 08:44 PM
A bottom pour pot. If your lookin for speed its the safest. A ladle to hold enought to fill a 6 cavity in 1 go will be heavy. And fatigue will follow...

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-07-2022, 09:34 PM
I use a Rowell bottom pour ladle. Holds like 1 lb of lead. I pour a lot of .45 cal rifle bullets, and this ladle is ideal for the 4-cavity molds. Bottom pour prevents the floating trash from entering the mold. Does not seem to fatigue me. I've 79 years old too.

rigger
10-08-2022, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the insight. I am used to using a bottom pour for my 4 cavity molds. I have a smaller pot that I use for straight lead for my muzzleloader balls. It keeps me from emptying out the alloy from my bottom pour pot. I just started casting the round balls so am feeling my way through.

Hickok
10-08-2022, 09:03 AM
I use a dipper for my 6 cavities, (in fact all my casting) and it works just fine. I pour 2 to 3 holes, whatever gives me good fill-out, get another dip from the pot, etc.

I have tried bottom pour, but being a knuckle-dragging caveman, I just do better with pouring from a ladle.

So to answer your question, YES, a ladle can work perfectly with 2, 3, or 6 cavity molds. It does for me. Whether it is best for you,...give it a try...[smilie=s:

georgerkahn
10-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Does anyone use a dipper for a 6 cavity mold. I am casting .490 round balls for my muzzleloader and have been using a Lee 2 cavity mold. It takes a while to cast balls and I use a dipper. I was thinking about ordering a 6 cavity or getting another 2 cavity to speed up the process. Which would be the best way to go?

My short experience with ladles started, in fact, with a six-cavity (for .38 S&W Special) H&G mould. I had a small RCBS or Ohaus (??) ladle -- the round one with a spout you fill, and then pour from the spout to fill cavities, with some instructional photos showing this ladle actually touching the mould as both are canted to fill cavities. I averaged two or three decent cavity fills before it became too cool to continue. I then was gifted a fairly huge cast iron ladle from a range buddy, and this worked like a charm!
Hence -- what I'm suggesting is -- for me -- a ladle worked well for my 6 (and also an 8- cavity) H&G moulds -- *BUT* -- it was a rather large-sized ladle made of heavy cast iron required to enable this!
Perhaps something you may consider when shopping?
BEST!
geo

Hahndorf1874
10-08-2022, 07:04 PM
I make my dippers out of used CO2 bottles, small ones for single and two cavity,larger ones used for charging home brew small barrels these would have more than enough in them for a 6 cavity mould,Drill out the spout end ,grind out a cavity at the rear, attach a handle and bobs your uncle!! Cant post pics from my iPad but can send to someone’s email.

Cheers Mal in au.

imashooter2
10-08-2022, 07:05 PM
I just poured 3 and 3 with a Lyman dipper casting C360-180-RF from the group buy. It’s easy enough and goes quickly. If your small pot is 10 pounds or less, the double pour will empty it out in no time.

stubshaft
10-08-2022, 08:38 PM
I use an RCBS dipper for all of my casting. The only thing that I would recommend is to shorten the handle by 2" as it gives much more control when pouring.

Harter66
10-08-2022, 09:36 PM
I too use an RCBS ladle. I pour 3 different moulds , a 3,6,&8 cavity , that take 16-1700 gr to fill the cavities plus sprue . That's pushing 3000 gr in the H&G #130 8cavity . I don't always make it in that one below half pot in the Lee 20# . I have a low reject rate in the NOE 3 cav 535 gr , 1600+ sprue probably about 2000 gr per pour .
The 6 cav Lee 452-255 is 1600+ sprue too .
The 6 cav 124 , 158 , and 175 gr I don't have any trouble making the pours .
The .454 RB is only 141 gr , the .490 is 180 gr , and once hot in my experience they should run pretty easy as long as you keep the top of the mould and sprue plate hot .