PDA

View Full Version : Chronographed - Underwood 38 Spl +P “Keith” 158 gr SWC

Hi-Speed
10-07-2022, 01:29 AM
Chronographed a ten shot string of Underwood’s 158 gr “Hard Cast Keith” 38 Special +P

Firearm: Ruger 4 5/8 in Blackhawk
Load: Underwood 158 gr “Hard Cast Keith” SWC 38 Special +P (#734, advertised 1,250 fps)

10 shots:
Hi 1249 fps
Lo 1235 fps
Avg 1241 fps
ES 14
SD 4

Notes: I was amazed at the consistency (checkout the ES/SDs) and power of this 38 Spl +P. Hats off to Underwood for an excellent load. This load rivals my standard 357 Magnum load using 2400 but Underwood is at 38 Spl +P pressures! I will not even try to duplicate Underwood’s 38 Spl +P load. It’s velocity as far as I’m concerned can only be duplicated using 357 Magnum cases and the appropriate magnum level powders…but then you would have a 357 Magnum and not 38 Spl +P!

Underwood, and Buffalo Bore for that matter, must have some very talented ballisticians to develop powder formulas to meet these velocities within SAAMI specs. Here is pic of the Underwood box and ammo sample (sorry for its upside down orientation, doesn’t show up that way in my photo log)

Divil
10-07-2022, 02:43 AM
Very impressive velocity, consistency and pressures. The main consideration here is that in addition to professional ballistic engineers with industrial pressure sensing lab equipment is that the powder used is probably some proprietary blend not available to the handloader.

Hi-Speed
10-07-2022, 10:43 AM
Very impressive velocity, consistency and pressures. The main consideration here is that in addition to professional ballistic engineers with industrial pressure sensing lab equipment is that the powder used is probably some proprietary blend not available to the handloader.

Yes Sir, spot on, very well said!

As a commercial loading, it tops any of the big three factory 158 gr JSP 357 Magnum loadings in velocity and has the advantage of using a hard cast bullet…all along at 38 Spl +P pressures!

Hi-Speed
10-07-2022, 12:28 PM
Not to be a rain shower on the parade...

I have always seen on the reloading forums that "chamber pressure = velocity". To the point on some other forums they will have knife fights debating that the extra .01 grains of powder will give you an extra 50 fps

However, didnt someone prove that the the buffalo bore +p 38 special with those velocities was actually 38-44 ammunition?

Yes, 38-44 velocities at 38 Spl +P pressures…I’ll stick with what Underwood and BB are stating since they have expert ballisticians coupled with accurate test equipment and lab environments to ensure that their loads are what they advertise.

DougGuy
10-07-2022, 01:24 PM
Wonder what those loads would clock out of a 2" snubbie?

Hi-Speed
10-07-2022, 07:37 PM

I have 10 left from the box I opened yesterday…they are not getting near my S&W 442. I also purchased two boxes this afternoon from MidwayUSA…great deal and half the price of Buffalo Bore’s version (I chronographed ten of these this morning, great load in its own right and more controllable in my Ruger Blackhawk compared to Underwood’s load (which is nearly 80 fps faster in my Ruger 4 5/8 in)).

Targa
10-16-2022, 11:22 AM
:shock: 38+p in name only. Those are .357 mag in .38 brass..:grin:

Wireman134
10-31-2022, 05:58 PM

North of 1,000fps

Sgt H
11-02-2022, 12:03 PM
1241fps with a 158 grain from a 4 5/8" barrel, definitely 357mag territory. I would be suspicious of the 38 +P pressure claim propriety powder or not. There is no free lunch so to speak.

racepres
11-02-2022, 12:17 PM
1241fps with a 158 grain from a 4 5/8" barrel, definitely 357mag territory. I would be suspicious of the 38 +P pressure claim propriety powder or not. There is no free lunch so to speak.

^^^ This
and ...of course...Why...when shooting thru a 357 mag anyway????

ddixie884
11-18-2022, 02:16 AM
Hi-Speed, if you are going thru Lake Havasu some time you should get a hold of Larry Gibson and get him to run 10 of those thru his Contender with the pressure trace on it and find out what the real pressure is on that load...........

RJM52
11-22-2022, 08:46 AM
Thank you for posting the data...the load is at least 100 fps faster than the original .38-44s loads. Running 1250 fps from your 4 5/8" Ruger the original .38-44 loads were only running 1115 with a 158 grain bullet from a 5" barrel.

It has been my opinion for decades that the .38 Special, and .44 Special for that matter, have been severely underloaded by the major ammo companies because of the age of the rounds and the very early gun available for them. Guns made after WWII had a vastly better quality of steel and heat treatment than those made before the war. Colt certified their D-frame Detective Special (all steel) for the .38-44/High Speed loads. If J-frame Smiths and Ruger LCRs can be chambered for 9mm that has a pressure rating well over 30k psi and the same guns are also made in .357 Magnum how can these gun when chambered in .38 Special not take the same pressures...just because there is .38 Special stamped on the barrel and SAAMI says so...

Will it blow up an aluminum frame 442/642, no but it would probably stretch the frame or crack the frame under the barrel a is common with these guns...

It would be interesting to know exactly what the pressure is for the BB and Underwood loads...

Thanks again...Bob

RJM52
11-22-2022, 08:47 AM
Thank you for posting the data...the load is at least 100 fps faster than the original .38-44s loads. Running 1250 fps from your 4 5/8" Ruger the original .38-44 loads were only running 1115 with a 158 grain bullet from a 5" barrel.

It has been my opinion for decades that the .38 Special, and .44 Special for that matter, have been severely underloaded by the major ammo companies because of the age of the rounds and the very early gun available for them. Guns made after WWII had a vastly better quality of steel and heat treatment than those made before the war. Colt certified their D-frame Detective Special (all steel) for the .38-44/High Speed loads. If J-frame Smiths and Ruger LCRs can be chambered for 9mm that has a pressure rating well over 30k psi and the same guns are also made in .357 Magnum how can these gun when chambered in .38 Special not take the same pressures...just because there is .38 Special stamped on the barrel and SAAMI says so...

Will it blow up an aluminum frame 442/642, no but it would probably stretch the frame or crack the frame under the barrel as is common with these guns...

It would be interesting to know exactly what the pressure is for the BB and Underwood loads...

Thanks again...Bob

Larry Gibson
11-22-2022, 12:46 PM
"It would be interesting to know exactly what the pressure is for the BB and Underwood loads..."

Send me 12 rounds of each and I'll test it. PM me for address.

GooseGestapo
11-27-2022, 07:49 PM
Actually getting those velocities at +P pressures isn’t that hard!
What’s difficult is assuring that when doing so you don’t actually exceed SAAMI pressures and get into low .357mag territory.

Back in late ‘70’s, I worked with a fellow caster and reloader that “discovered” H4227. He used some older data from a long ago Lyman manual that called for around 12.5gr of H4227. This accomplishes what Underwood is doing.
Difference is, they have access to chronographs and pressure measuring equipment.

Buddy claimed the 1,200fps loads just fell out of the Mod-15 chambers. Later, I worked for another agency and used same load for a Model 65 with cast lead SWC-HP, because they too, dropped from the cylinder, but shot POA and were VERY accurate.

Underwood isn’t exactly reinventing the .38Special +P. Just resurrecting it!

ddixie884
04-16-2023, 11:48 PM
Larry tested two of these Underwood loads. Maybe he will post his resulting data when he gets time.

GLynn41
04-17-2023, 02:08 PM
remember there is no free lunch -- only so much room in a hull- change pressure curves etc -- still that is a high pressure load for a .38 and close in fps to some .357 as was pointed out-- and yes i will try them-- I want a kimber 3'' in the future -- and the 150 ish gr hp sounds good at at that speed. I used to shoot a lot of 173 gr Keiths over 13.5 gr of 2400 -in a .38 special- do not remember the pressure but not normal .38 special load
My S&W 28 is what I will use for now and it will be ok with them. I shoot a lot of Remington 158 hp but they are maybe 900 fps will look later. thanks for the thread-

RJM52
04-17-2023, 09:30 PM
Thanks VERY much to Larry for doing the testing...they were right around where I thought they were going to be...

The same loads from Buffalo Bore are the loads I carry in a S&W 649, 60-1, 60-10, 67, Heavy Duty and a Colt Diamondback when out with them...

Bob

Silvercreek Farmer
04-17-2023, 09:40 PM
I’d be interested in the powder charge weight and appearance if anyone is willing to pull one down. No desire to duplicate, I just enjoy the exercise.

Larry Gibson
04-18-2023, 11:15 AM
My report to ddixie884 with the info Silvercreek Farmer requested;

Finally got it done!,, Many personal difficulties the lat 8 months which is just the way life is. Then when I did start testing a couple weeks ago had technical problems with the test barrel/gauge. After a couple attempts to discover the problem I finally just removed the old gauge and installed a new one. That fixed the problem. Testing went well yesterday.

I first ran a "reference factory load" [Speer 158 lead SWC] through the test barrel with new gauge. That ammo (have several boxes all the same lot) Has proven to be quite uniform giving average psi's of 14,300 - 14,600 psi. The psi measured yesterday was 14,400 which was exactly the same psi as the old gauge had give with the last test a year+ ago. Thus all was well with the new gauge. I then ran 10 rounds of my standard 357 Magnum load through it. That load previously averaged 35,000 psi +/- and yesterday it measured 35,600 psi, well within the test to test variation of that load.

I then tested both of the Underwood factory rounds you had sent to me. Both proved to be excellent performers giving very low ES/SD for velocity an pressure. Accuracy at 50 yards was also excellent. I was using the test Contender (7.94" barrel) in a Ransom rest. Ambient temp was 75 degrees with a humidity of 15%.

The Underwood 158 Hardcast Keith +P load ran 1336 fps with ES/SD of 16/6 fps. The psi averaged 28,500 with an ES/SD of 0 !!!! yes, that was ZERO variation in pressure, all 10 pressures measured the same....thus the very low velocity ES/SD. Accuracy at 50 yards was a, just under, 2" group.

Cartridge specifications:
Starline 38 SPL +P cases
Unkown SP primer
5.5 gr of a very fine ball powder
161 gr PC'd SWC bullet, BHN measured on base and nose at 17-18, .3575 - .358 diameter
Cartridge OAL; 1.423"

The Underwood 158 LSWCHP load proved to be just as goo running 1314 fps with an ES/SD of 28/9 fps. The psi averaged 28,400 with an ES/SD of 200/100 psi. Accuracy at 50 yards was just over a 2" group.

Starline 38 SPL +P cases
Unkown SP primer
8.5 gr of a very fine ball powder
158 gr PC'd SWC bullet, BHN measured on base at 8, .356 diameter
Cartridge OAL; 1.431"

Note; the PC on both bullets was a dark blood red.

RJM52
04-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Larry...have you ever done the same two loads from Buffalo Bore?

Larry Gibson
04-20-2023, 10:23 AM
Larry...have you ever done the same two loads from Buffalo Bore?

No, I have not tested any similar Buffalo Bore loads.

ddixie884
04-22-2023, 03:46 PM
Bob, send him a 20rnd box of each and he will probably run you a 10rnd pressure test and 5 shot accuracy test and pull a rnd down for comparison. that gives a coupla rnds in case he slips. Larry came through here a coupla yrs ago and I sent some Speer factory 135 gdsbhps and some pet 135gr handloads home with him and he ran tests on them for me. I also sent some N340 and a 1K pack of LPP and SPP and some .38swcbb and .45 swcbb.

Thank goodness he has patience and likes to tinker with his pressure trace equipment.
It is so nice to really know what the pressure of your pet load really is. THANX Larry................

RJM52
04-22-2023, 05:46 PM
....already being arranged...

Bob

GLynn41
04-23-2023, 05:19 PM
nice loads but not really saami spec .38+ ---I would not let them near a .38
unless i am missing something

Kosh75287
04-23-2023, 05:28 PM
I use a similarly performing load to achieve 1000 f/s with 158 gr. LSWCs from 2" snubby barrels. Shooting them is a somewhat self-limiting process. I only use this load in snubbies when I cannot carry something larger. The recoil, noise and muzzle blast generated also require that the shooter be very, VERY motivated to shoot someone one before unleashing such a round.

RJM52
04-24-2023, 11:07 AM
If S&W, Ruger and Taurus all have or have had 9mm J-frame size guns that run 30-35k psi why would one worry about 28k psi in a .38 Special in the exact same gun.

My two cylinder S&W 649-2 has digested several hundred +P+ .38 Specials, 9mms and .38 Supers and is still as tight as it was when I bought it...

Larry has ordered the same loads as tested above from Buffalo Bore so we will have an exact comparison of the two...

Bob

GLynn41
04-24-2023, 11:53 PM
but still many may not know that -- and it is really still a +P+ +---all I have is a Model 28 so no problem

ddixie884
04-25-2023, 09:06 PM
I’ve got a feeling that the Buffalo bores will be less pressure. More like 24,000 pounds per square inch and more akin to 38/44. Of course that is all JMHO – YMMV. Gary.

barnetmill
04-26-2023, 08:46 AM
If S&W, Ruger and Taurus all have or have had 9mm J-frame size guns that run 30-35k psi why would one worry about 28k psi in a .38 Special in the exact same gun.

My two cylinder S&W 649-2 has digested several hundred +P+ .38 Specials, 9mms and .38 Supers and is still as tight as it was when I bought it...

Larry has ordered the same loads as tested above from Buffalo Bore so we will have an exact comparison of the two...

Bob
A 9x19mm chambered revolver in most cases uses the same length cylinder as the 38 spl. Means a very long free bore prior to hitting the forcing cone. Larry G was measuring these in a Thompson Contender. I wonder what the pressure is in a revolver for the 9x19 and the 38spl when loaded to similar velocities. Say a 115 grain bullet to 1100 fps with a 4 inch barrel.
I may be mistaken, but I thought pressure in a revolver maxs out when the bullet hits the forcing cone.

I would certainly not make it a high round count of BB plus P loads in a model 15 revolver.

30calflash
04-26-2023, 09:38 AM
Watching this, but I think there's a caveat that should be mentioned.

Many older revolvers weren't built for high pressure loads as there weren't many at the time in regular use. I don't know if folks were smarter then but I think not wanting to 'use up' a good firearm was something not taken lightly.

Yes J frames are still J frames and now can be had in various flavors way beyond what the first chief specials were meant to handle pressure wise. Metallurgy has changed and improved in most categories and what you would put in a cylinder now is far different from in the past. So 357, 9mm, 32 Fed mag J frames can take it as they were designed to do so.

FWIW I've run a few +P's in my 442 to see where they hit and for carry but run std level loads the rest of the time. If a heavier load is your thing and you limit it to minimal use and carry it probably will work ok without taking you or the firearm out of action.

The LEO community had +P+ loads available for field use but they also had other firearms that could be used if theirs acted up and trained armorers and parts to make sure they ran as intended. Some of you may but I don't!

There's lots of info here and elsewhere to allow you to make an informed decision.

barnetmill
04-26-2023, 10:36 AM
Watching this, but I think there's a caveat that should be mentioned.

Many older revolvers weren't built for high pressure loads as there weren't many at the time in regular use. I don't know if folks were smarter then but I think not wanting to 'use up' a good firearm was something not taken lightly.

Yes J frames are still J frames and now can be had in various flavors way beyond what the first chief specials were meant to handle pressure wise. Metallurgy has changed and improved in most categories and what you would put in a cylinder now is far different from in the past. So 357, 9mm, 32 Fed mag J frames can take it as they were designed to do so.

FWIW I've run a few +P's in my 442 to see where they hit and for carry but run std level loads the rest of the time. If a heavier load is your thing and you limit it to minimal use and carry it probably will work ok without taking you or the firearm out of action.

The LEO community had +P+ loads available for field use but they also had other firearms that could be used if theirs acted up and trained armorers and parts to make sure they ran as intended. Some of you may but I don't!

There's lots of info here and elsewhere to allow you to make an informed decision.

I will use +P+ 9mm in Gen 3 glocks for carry ammo in G26, G19, and G17. Although for the G26 that was originally a G33 I may opt out for standard or +P.

Larry Gibson
05-12-2023, 10:14 PM
I conducted the pressure/velocity testing of the two Buffalo Bore loads discussed. Those two factory loads are BBs LSWHP +P load and BBs Heavy Outdoorsman +P load. I received a box of 20 rounds each. Thus, with 10 rounds used for the pressure test in the Contender test barrel (7.94") I had 10 rounds of each load left. I then shot a five shot velocity test in my S&W M19 with 2 1/2" barrel and my Ruger Security Six with a 6" barrel. Granted a 5 shot test isn't definitive by any means but it gives us a simple comparison to the recorded Contender velocity and the factory specified velocities. As usual, prior to the test of BB loads I shot a test of my "reference" Speer 158 standard 38 SPL SWC factory ammunition. The reference ammunition average was 100 psi close to the average which is well within test standards.

Buffalo Bore 158 LSWHP GC +P #20A/20 advertised velocity of 1,000 fps
Starline 38 SPL +P cases
Unkown SP primer
7.0 gr of a very fine ball powder
Bullet; 160 gr SWC HP GC'd lubed bullet, BHN measured on base after removing GC at 10, .358 diameter
Cartridge OAL; 1.453"

The Buffalo Bore 158 LSWCHP GC factory load proved to be excellent running 1340 fps with an ES/SD of 23/7 fps. The psi averaged 28,500 with an ES/SD of 0/0 psi. Yes, that is correct, every pressure measured 28,500 psi! Accuracy at 50 yards was a 1.85" group.
S&W M19 velocity was 1112 fps
Ruger SS velocity was 1255 fps

Buffalo Bore Heavy Outdoorsman +P w/Hard Cast Keith SWC
Starline 38 SPL +P cases
Unkown SP primer
6.0 gr of a small flake powder
157 gr Hard Cast SWC bullet with a bevel base, BHN measured 15 on nose and base, .358 diameter
Cartridge OAL; 1.440"

This load also proved to be very good with excellent uniform internals. The velocity ran 1314 fps with an ES/SD of 23/7. The pressure ran 28,400 with an ES and SD of 400/200 psi. Accuracy at 50 yards was a 2.05" group.
S&W M19 velocity was 1092 fps
Ruger SS velocity was 1218 fps.

Felt recoil in both revolvers was comparable to most current 158 gr 357 magnum loads. Not sure I'd care to shoot many in any revolver smaller than the S&W M19. I definitely would restrict their use to 357 magnum revolvers, just my opinion is all.

wgg
05-13-2023, 09:07 PM
Thank you Mr. Gibson for sharing this information. Reminds me of an old saying. There ain't no free lunchs.

RJM52
05-13-2023, 10:06 PM
Thanks for this...really appreciate it...

As to use...I carry the HP load in both a S&W 649 and Colt 2.5" Diamondback when in town and the Outdoorsman load when in the boonies... For the number of these rounds that will go through these guns in my ownership lifetime, I have no concerns at all...

If one changes out ones carry ammo twice a year, that would be 20 rounds for a 5 shot revolver if one shot up the 5 in the gun and 5 backup rounds...a box a year...what's ones life worth....

Bob

RJM52
05-13-2023, 10:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJz3ba-l2sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJYsc6PdEM

Check out the difference between the 9mm and the .38 Special.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXF5HOQz5WY

Larry Gibson
05-14-2023, 09:13 AM
Thanks for this...really appreciate it...

As to use...I carry the HP load in both a S&W 649 and Colt 2.5" Diamondback when in town and the Outdoorsman load when in the boonies... For the number of these rounds that will go through these guns in my ownership lifetime, I have no concerns at all...

If one changes out ones carry ammo twice a year, that would be 20 rounds for a 5 shot revolver if one shot up the 5 in the gun and 5 backup rounds...a box a year...what's ones life worth....

Bob

My apologies for not making myself clearer, my concern was not about the revolvers not handling these loads. My concern is the recoil generated in the smaller framed revolvers that a S&W K frame such as the smaller J frame and Ruger LCRs. The concern is mostly the "pain" caused to the hand. The recoil wasn't bad in the S&W M19 but I've shot enough +P 38 loads in Chiefs and even the 357s in the LCRs to know I don't like them. But for carry and shooting only if need be.......

.....so, okay, I'm a wimp when it comes to shooting small heavy recoiling handguns......:drinks:

Larry Gibson
05-14-2023, 09:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJz3ba-l2sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJYsc6PdEM

Check out the difference between the 9mm and the .38 Special.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXF5HOQz5WY

I was impressed with the performance of the BB 38 SPL LSWCHP +P in both the 4" and 2" revolvers. Penetration and expansion were excellent. Definitely a good factory round for +P rated 38 SPLs and 357 Magnums. I would expect similar performance from the Underwood version of that cartridge.

RJM52
05-14-2023, 10:04 AM
..."Larry the Wimp"...yea right...:-|

...I'm not real big on recoil either but simply a product of aging.... In a 20 oz 649 I don't find them that bad...a few to save my life would be tolerable...

RJM52
05-14-2023, 10:09 AM
I’ve got a feeling that the Buffalo bores will be less pressure. More like 24,000 pounds per square inch and more akin to 38/44. Of course that is all JMHO – YMMV. Gary.

...my bet was 25K...guess we were both wrong...

RJM52
05-14-2023, 10:16 AM
Here is another good link that includes the BB loads...comparing it to several others...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/144598-some-38-special-chronograph-tests.html

ddixie884
05-19-2023, 02:45 AM
Oh well, I’ve been wrong before. I’m really surprised that the BB and the Underwood are both at 28,500psi. I wouldn’t shy away from using any of them if I need them but I would like 24,000psi better. Thanks to Larry.we have real figures to work with.

RJM52
05-21-2023, 08:26 AM
Doesn't really bother me at all as it is well south of 9mm, .38 Super and .357 Magnum and right in that sweet spot velocity wise that balances performance and control.

ddixie884
06-12-2023, 07:58 PM
Larry, have you ever done any pressure testing on 158 grain Boolits and 38 special at 5.5 and 6.0gr unique?

derek45
06-13-2023, 07:56 AM
Very interesting thread, thanks Larry

:drinks:

Larry Gibson
06-13-2023, 09:49 AM
Larry, have you ever done any pressure testing on 158 grain Boolits and 38 special at 5.5 and 6.0gr unique?

Yes, I have.

Larry Gibson
06-13-2023, 09:58 AM

Yes, I have. The 5.5 gr Unique load under a soft cast HP'd 358156 seated to front groove in Winchester 38 SPL cases is my standard FBI LSWCHP load duplication. I produces the same velocity as the older original Winchester load I carried for LE duty back in the mid/late '70s. Pressure wise, it runs at the top end of SAAMI's criteria for +P 38 SPL.

RJM52
06-22-2023, 09:35 PM
What are you running for velocity..950 from a 4"?

ddixie884
06-23-2023, 03:46 AM
I’ll bet you guesstimated that within 20fps. Of course I could be wrong.

RJM52
06-23-2023, 05:44 AM
The 1980+- vintage FBI load from Federal, Winchester and Remington generally runs between 875 and 950 from a 4" barrel. I was with Allan Jones one day at the Dallas P&R Club as he was testing a new batch of Federal (I believe) ammo. It was 950 on the nose which was the highest velocity I've ever seen for that load.

From what I have read all three makers made bullets of different hardness levels and HP shapes so expansion and penetration varied. There was also lot to lot differences from the same maker...

Wayne Dobbs
06-30-2023, 04:55 PM
No, I have not tested any similar Buffalo Bore loads.

Larry,

You may recall I sent you 10 of the standard pressure BB DEWC loads last year. They were not standard pressure, as advertised.

ddixie884
07-06-2023, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=Wayne Dobbs;5594984]Larry,

You may recall I sent you 10 of the standard pressure BB DEWC loads last year. They were not standard pressure, as advertised.[/QUOTE

Yes, those were +P but not +P+ like the SWCs..........

JRD
07-07-2023, 10:32 AM
I'm a little late to the party to start paying attention to this thread. Larry, yours is the first pressure testing of Buffalo Bore and Underwood 38 Special +P loads. I have always wondered how they achieved such ballistics and stayed within SAAMI pressures. Apparently they don't because the laws of physics still apply.

38 Special SAAMI MAP is 17,000 PSI
38 Special +P SAAMI MAP is 20,000 PSI

These companies are apparently selling ammo loaded to 28,500 PSI as 38 Special +P but it's actually 40% OVER SAAMI +P pressure.

I don't doubt it's good ammo- if shot in a 357 Magnum chambered gun. I sure wouldn't shoot this stuff in a gun that's not a 357. This ammo can't be good for the life of an alloy frame S&W 637/642/442. I'd even refrain from using it in a S&W Model 10. Someone earlier commented that they wouldn't use this ammo in a gun that's not also chambered in 357 Mag. Just bear in mind that not all frames of a given size are actually the same. For instance a S&W K frame Model 10 and a K frame Model 19 frame are not the same in terms of frame strength.

TD1886
07-07-2023, 12:23 PM
My report to ddixie884 with the info Silvercreek Farmer requested;

Finally got it done!,, Many personal difficulties the lat 8 months which is just the way life is. Then when I did start testing a couple weeks ago had technical problems with the test barrel/gauge. After a couple attempts to discover the problem I finally just removed the old gauge and installed a new one. That fixed the problem. Testing went well yesterday.

I first ran a "reference factory load" [Speer 158 lead SWC] through the test barrel with new gauge. That ammo (have several boxes all the same lot) Has proven to be quite uniform giving average psi's of 14,300 - 14,600 psi. The psi measured yesterday was 14,400 which was exactly the same psi as the old gauge had give with the last test a year+ ago. Thus all was well with the new gauge. I then ran 10 rounds of my standard 357 Magnum load through it. That load previously averaged 35,000 psi +/- and yesterday it measured 35,600 psi, well within the test to test variation of that load.

I then tested both of the Underwood factory rounds you had sent to me. Both proved to be excellent performers giving very low ES/SD for velocity an pressure. Accuracy at 50 yards was also excellent. I was using the test Contender (7.94" barrel) in a Ransom rest. Ambient temp was 75 degrees with a humidity of 15%.

The Underwood 158 Hardcast Keith +P load ran 1336 fps with ES/SD of 16/6 fps. The psi averaged 28,500 with an ES/SD of 0 !!!! yes, that was ZERO variation in pressure, all 10 pressures measured the same....thus the very low velocity ES/SD. Accuracy at 50 yards was a, just under, 2" group.

Starline 38 SPL +P cases
Unkown SP primer
5.5 gr of a very fine ball powder
161 gr PC'd SWC bullet, BHN measured on base and nose at 17-18, .3575 - .358 diameter
Cartridge OAL; 1.423"

The Underwood 158 LSWCHP load proved to be just as goo running 1314 fps with an ES/SD of 28/9 fps. The psi averaged 28,400 with an ES/SD of 200/100 psi. Accuracy at 50 yards was just over a 2" group.

Starline 38 SPL +P cases
Unkown SP primer
8.5 gr of a very fine ball powder
158 gr PC'd SWC bullet, BHN measured on base at 8, .356 diameter
Cartridge OAL; 1.431"

Note; the PC on both bullets was a dark blood red.

No comments on whether they should be shot out of 38 Special revolvers??

Larry Gibson
07-07-2023, 09:46 PM
No comments on whether they should be shot out of 38 Special revolvers??

My comments in post #33 apply to the Underwood +P loads tested as well as the Buffalo Bore +P loads.

TD1886
07-07-2023, 10:39 PM
My comments in post #33 apply to the Underwood +P loads tested as well as the Buffalo Bore +P loads.

Wouldn't you agree that there are 38 Special revolvers out there that couldn't take a steady diet of those loads? Makes me wonder how they came about.

Larry Gibson
07-08-2023, 01:12 AM
Begging your indulgence, I prefer not to get involved in that end of the discussion.

TD1886
07-08-2023, 11:56 AM
Begging your indulgence, I prefer not to get involved in that end of the discussion.

Okay good enough. In a sense you answered my question.

RJM52
07-08-2023, 09:02 PM
"Just bear in mind that not all frames of a given size are actually the same. For instance a S&W K frame Model 10 and a K frame Model 19 frame are not the same in terms of frame strength."

TD...just wondering where you got your information...

Do you have information that a Model 64 frame (.38 Special) and Model 65 frame (.357 Magnum) have gone through a different heat treating process?

Thank you...Bob

Bob

TD1886
07-08-2023, 10:41 PM
"Just bear in mind that not all frames of a given size are actually the same. For instance a S&W K frame Model 10 and a K frame Model 19 frame are not the same in terms of frame strength."

TD...just wondering where you got your information...

Do you have information that a Model 64 frame (.38 Special) and Model 65 frame (.357 Magnum) have gone through a different heat treating process?

Thank you...Bob

Bob

Bob I didn't write that first sentence you have there. But since you posted it I'd like to say that they do heat treat the 38 Special and 357 Magnum cylinders differently. I didn't use to think so, but was told different. My argument was they were going to send the cylinders through the heat treating oven so why not both. I was told I was wrong. I never worked in that process I don't know.

I get my information from a lot of source and have good number of friends in the industry. I don't rely on the internet for any of it.

ddixie884
07-09-2023, 01:34 AM
Wouldn't you agree that there are 38 Special revolvers out there that couldn't take a steady diet of those loads? Makes me wonder how they came about.

They came about because there has always been people with .38spls who would like to have a box or 2 of "WARM" loads for SD, HD, repelling boarders or animal protection. It has developed into quite the industry...

TD1886
07-09-2023, 01:09 PM
They came about because there has always been people with .38spls who would like to have a box or 2 of "WARM" loads for SD, HD, repelling boarders or animal protection. It has developed into quite the industry...

Sure has developed into quite an industry: 38 Special to 38 Special Plus P to 38 Special Plus P Plus.

RJM52
07-09-2023, 06:34 PM
My apologies...that should have been directed to JRD....

JRD
07-10-2023, 02:09 PM
My statement: "Just bear in mind that not all frames of a given size are actually the same. For instance a S&W K frame Model 10 and a K frame Model 19 frame are not the same in terms of frame strength." is information directly obtained from contacts who previously worked at S&W.
Specifically with carbon steel frames, frames such as the Model 19 and Model 29 got an extra heat treating process that non-magnum frames did not (example Model 10 and Model 25). Cylinders in carbon steel guns were heat treated no matter what so a 10 vs 19 cylinder difference is just the chamber depth.

Shooting 40% over pressure "+P" 38 Specials in a non-magnum rated gun isn't going to cause the cylinder to burst. But a steady diet of excessively spicy rounds is definitely going to accelerate endshake, cylinder window stretching, centerpin hole elongation, timing problems, etc. (All the things an armorer knows to look for to tell if a frame is worn out.)
I've seen (not in this thread), references to hot rodding 45 Colt Model 25's- because the same frame is used for 44 Magnum Model 29's- except people with intimate knowledge know it isn't the same frame.

I looked on Buffalo Bore's on website under their FAQ's. There is a question on 380 Auto +P (which doesn't exist in SAAMI). Granted we're talking 38 Special, but the concept carries over.
"Can I shoot your +P 380 Auto ammo in my LCP?
Yes you can. Gun makers often warn against using any ammo that is not SAAMI spec. and there is no SAAMI spec. for the 380 auto +P cartridge. Gun makers do this to protect themselves from any liability in our super-litigious American society.
Buffalo Bore and others have tested our 380 auto +P ammo in the LCP and many LCP owners currently shoot our +P ammo in their LCPs and we've never heard of any problems from the "power" or "pressure" of the ammo, but obviously the use of +P ammo in these little guns should be limited to just enough to test reliable feeding and point of impact, then carry the ammo in your LCP in the event you need it, but don't go plinking with it. "

So even Buffalo Bore is saying don't shoot their stuff in large volumes. On the other side of the coin, if someone has deep pockets and makes these extra spicy "40% over +P" rounds their high volume practice fodder, the gun manufacturers wouldn't be happy with warranty claims of their gun wearing prematurely out from "factory +P ammo".

bisleyfan41
07-12-2023, 10:07 PM
I happen to use the Underwood load in a 6.5" Blackhawk that shoots it better than just about any other factory load. While the pressures might seem high, remember many of these mid-size guns you're worried about are also available chambered in 9mm. Which operates at a much higher pressure that 28k.
Ultimately each shooter has to choose what they use in their guns.

God gave each of us a brain with which to make educated decisions. And while modern society seems to reflect a diminished capacity in this regard, I think it's great that companies like Underwood and BB market loads like this. They are supremely useful.

If you don't want to use them in your guns, that's fine. Would you rather they weren't produced. The shooting world would be poorer without companies like this who offer high performance options.

JRD
07-13-2023, 04:18 PM
My personal feeling is that companies that sell 38 Special +P ammo that is 40% over SAAMI spec should not label it as such. They should label it differently or add warnings that is not appropriate to use in all 38 Special guns because it doesn't conform to the SAAMI industry standard. While most of the people on this board are well informed enough to know which 38 Special guns are stout enough to use with the Buffalo Bore and Underwood loads that Larry tested, the average person likely is not.

Perhaps I come off as overly conservative on this topic, but I look at this with a hint of corporate perspective from having dealt with lawyers for consumer products in my professional career. Big companies need to design for the lowest possible denominator in their customers and offer profuse warnings in owner's manuals to help protect them from liability. Perhaps it's less of a concern for smaller companies.

Think of it in another light. Suppose there was a company that made extra potent gasoline that boosts your car's horsepower substantially, and it did it by increasing combustion pressures inside the cylinders- and yet they still sold it as regular 87 octane gas. Furthermore in this parable, that certain vehicles could burn this fuel with no problem, but that it's effect on certain models would likely cause premature wear. Some gearheads who know engines would probably love to use this hypothetical fuel in their muscle cars, but for the average uninformed person who may drive some cheap compact coupe, his engine may not stand up to repeated fill-ups of extra potent gas and he doesn't know any better because it's labelled the same as standard gas.

I'll rest my case here.

Hi-Speed
07-21-2023, 08:51 PM
Thank you Larry for the tests. I’m finally coming back on-line…been doing other things for the past half year, sorry for finally getting around

RJM52
07-21-2023, 09:34 PM
...glad to see you back!

Always enjoyed your tests...Bob

bisleyfan41
07-22-2023, 11:37 PM
From BB's website page on their load tested above. Please note the last line:

"38 SPL +P OUTDOORSMAN
158 gr. Hard Cast Keith @ 1,250 fps
20 Round Box

ITEM 20H

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BORE 38 SPL +P 158gr. HARD CAST OUTDOORSMAN

This load was designed for those who need a deep penetrating 357 mag. or 38 SPL load to be fired from lightweight alloy 357’s and any 38 SPL revolver. Lightweight alloy 357’s develop multiple problems when firing our 180gr. 357 mag. hard cast turbocharged (Item 19A) ammo or any make of full power 357 ammo. Yet many folks want a deep penetrating “outdoor” type of load for their lightweight pocket 357’s, so here it is. Whether you are shooting gators or bears in the head, this load utilizes a hard flat nosed bullet, at sufficient velocity, even from 2-inch barrels, to fully penetrate either.

This load is safe to shoot in all 38SPL and 357 magnum firearms of modern design that are in normal operating condition."

The actual manufacturer, who would be liable for damages BTW, couldn't be clearer.