PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new one: Pierced primer

44Blam
10-06-2022, 10:44 PM
Well, got a new odd thing. Had a case with a pierced primer and when I went to decap it, it punched through the anvil (or maybe there wasn't an anvil???) and through the hole... Then it was stuck in the shell holder.
So I ended up setting it in a vise and drilled into the primer through the hole in the shell holder and got it to climb the drill bit... Should have taken a pic, it just stretched the cup out enough that I couldn't get the case off the shell holder.

Winger Ed.
10-06-2022, 10:48 PM
I hate it when they do that.

BLAHUT
10-06-2022, 10:51 PM
Amen

Ford SD
10-06-2022, 11:23 PM
you can also just reseat primer

and if not a valuable pc of Brass into the scrap bucket

Sasquatch-1
10-07-2022, 07:50 AM
A drift punch and a hammer would have probably done the job.

Wayne Smith
10-07-2022, 08:24 AM
I've had the whole cap break off when attempting to deprime some brass that spent extensive time outdoors. Just had the side of the primer in the case. I eventually gave up trying to get them out after destroying a couple of cases.

Dusty Bannister
10-07-2022, 09:32 AM
If there is no anvil in a boxer primed case, it will not fire. Was this a factory crimped primer case? An unusually heavy crimp, combined with an old case that might have a sealed primer, along with it being a range pick up case, is a combination that will result in the skirt of a primer remaining in the primer pocket.

Remove the case stuck in the shell holder, drive the primer back into the pocket with a large punch that will still pass through the hole in the shell holder and remove the case. Most times, the value of the case is small enough that further effort to salvage the case is not worth the effort so it goes into the recycle bucket. Your situation may be different and further efforts to salvage the case would be worth the effort.

G W Wade
10-07-2022, 10:18 AM
I have heard from others, wet tumbling with primers in cases has given people problems caused by corrosion GW

10-07-2022, 10:25 AM
It's gratifying to see that Murphy's law visits somebody besides me.

lightman
10-07-2022, 10:36 AM
I've had that happen a few times and just took the shellholder off of the ram and used a punch and hammer to reseat the primer.

Winger Ed.
10-07-2022, 11:15 AM
It's gratifying to see that Murphy's law visits somebody besides me.

I went through a spell awhile back where if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have had any luck at all.

Dusty Bannister
10-07-2022, 05:33 PM
I have heard from others, wet tumbling with primers in cases has given people problems caused by corrosion GW

I thought that to be true when I had more difficult time depriming some cases that were wet pin cleaned without removing the primers first. That was also the last time I did that.

45_Colt
10-07-2022, 06:09 PM
G W Wade:

I thought that to be true when I had more difficult time depriming some cases that were wet pin cleaned without removing the primers first. That was also the last time I did that.

So true, I recently purchased a handful of brass that was wet tumbled with SS pins. Ended up setting up the RCBS single stage to de-cap them. Some took two hands on the handle. Surprised that there weren't any ringers, but they sure as heck they didn't want to leave the pockets.

No more of any wet tumbled brass for me. Give it to me in the non-cleaned state.

45_Colt

44Blam
10-07-2022, 11:00 PM
So the brass was from our range and I believe it must have been from some police training as it was all nickel plated brass that I picked up... So must have been an expensive day!

I found a couple other with the same head stamp and it is pretty interesting. They are crimped but then also have some kind of sealer around them. They appear to be shot out of more than one kind of gun but one striker fired gun appears to be piercing them.

Reseat and toss sounds like a good plan...