PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aid

Freightman
10-06-2022, 05:20 PM
I had to have hearing aids a few years back, went to the hearing center and ended up with one aid as my right ear is dead and no hope of resurrection. Well that one aid cost me $3800 and that was 8 years ago, I was never real pleased with it but I could hear better. Eight years pass and i need to upgrade, I am to old now to spend another $4000 and don't need them after I am gone so I tried some that cost $89 they worked but the background noise was bad so I ordered some from a different company and for $100 I can hear better than I have in 30 years and it is more like natural than the others, so I can recommend them. They are from AUDIEN and called ATOM pro. Good to be hearing sort of normal again I can sit somwhere beside the front row

uscra112
10-06-2022, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking for a hearing aid better than the $120 one I've got, but will be darned if I'll spend $4k to $5k for one. I had a Songbird that worked well, but lost it at an auction, and when I went to buy another they were no longer in business.

elmacgyver0
10-06-2022, 05:28 PM
Do they just amplify, or can you tune them like a graphic equalizer?
Do they have a phone app?

elmacgyver0
10-06-2022, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking for a hearing aid better than the $120 one I've got, but will be darned if I'll spend $4k to $5k for one. I had a Songbird that worked well, but lost it at an auction, and when I went to buy another they were no longer in business.

I wear two and they cost me about $7000.
They help a lot but the ringing in my ear is so bad I still have problems understanding.

Freightman
10-06-2022, 05:35 PM
Do they just amplify, or can you tune them like a graphic equalizer?
Do they have a phone app?
They turn up with a tiny screw driver provided. I don't know but they are better than my $4000 ones and I can eat better to.:bigsmyl2:

BLAHUT
10-06-2022, 05:37 PM
I had to have hearing aids a few years back, went to the hearing center and ended up with one aid as my right ear is dead and no hope of resurrection. Well that one aid cost me $3800 and that was 8 years ago, I was never real pleased with it but I could hear better. Eight years pass and i need to upgrade, I am to old now to spend another $4000 and don't need them after I am gone so I tried some that cost $89 they worked but the background noise was bad so I ordered some from a different company and for $100 I can hear better than I have in 30 years and it is more like natural than the others, so I can recommend them. They are from AUDIEN and called ATOM pro. Good to be hearing sort of normal again I can sit somwhere beside the front row

Where did you order them for $100.00 ? pm me ??

Freightman
10-06-2022, 05:52 PM
audienhearing.com

uscra112
10-06-2022, 05:55 PM
They don't get good reviews on Amazon, for what that's worth.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-06-2022, 06:05 PM
They turn up with a tiny screw driver provided. I don't know but they are better than my $4000 ones and I can eat better to.:bigsmyl2:

Is that because you can hear the lettuce and celery crunching? :grin:

DG

Mr Peabody
10-06-2022, 06:45 PM
Are these in the ear models or behing the ear? I hope I'm clear. I'm on my 4th set of aids over the last 35 years. I just bought my 4th set 2 weeks ago and they are light years ahead of what I bought 10 years ago.

Freightman
10-06-2022, 09:30 PM
They are in the ear and so far are fine, but haven't had them long time will tell.

HollandNut
10-06-2022, 10:11 PM
I'm deaf from all my years in the Navy and being a Gunner to boot , then a lifetime of shooting afterwards .. I finally broke down a few months ago after retiring ( again ) and went to the VA and got a set .. Sposed to be around 5 grand for them from what I have found searching online .. Sucks still , have had tinnitus and severe hearing loss since early 20's ..

Mr Peabody
10-06-2022, 10:23 PM
It takes awhile for your brain to learn sounds again. I quit wearing mine for too long a time, now with these new ones I'm having to learn some sounds I'd forgotton. BUT, I can hear birds in the forest again! I bought the mid level Opticons

dale2242
10-07-2022, 05:03 AM
I guess you just have to decide how much good hearing is worth to you.
My set of Oticons cost me $6500.

Thundarstick
10-07-2022, 05:24 AM
I'm wearing Resound One tear 9 (loaded with everything) behind the ear. $3500 and worth every penny I paid! I thought all the birds had died off before I got these hearing aids! Are they like Good made? No, but they are darn close! I tried to tell my dad the electronics have advanced light years since his 15 year old ones!

warren5421
10-07-2022, 08:01 AM
I bought a set from Costco 2005 or so that were not Bluetooth. In about 2018 went to VA, they tested me and found I had a hearing problem after a dozen test before. They gave me a set of Oticon’s, not as good as my old Costco's but they have Bluetooth. My Costco filtered the background much better than the Oticon’s. I am told that after about two years all start degrading, don't know but agree that after a few years they are not as good as when I got them. I went in for a checkup on the Oticon’s and the tec added 3 programs to my iPhone app for a total of 4 that helped with the background which will extend their use for me. I was where I was looking to go get another new pair. I have a small horse farm and wear them no matter what the weather or temp so they are abused.

GhostHawk
10-07-2022, 08:14 AM
That 3k$ is mostly going to line peoples pockets.

This is what I went to. But mostly I'm not wearing them either.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SKNKP3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

80$ ea or 155$ for a pair, rechargeable. No wasting money on battery's.

Mostly I stopped wearing mine because my wifes voice has changed, dropped down into my good range where I can hear her. And I stopped letting her talk over her shoulder as she walked out of the room. You want to talk to me, want me to understand, don't want to have to repeat it 3 times, come sit next to me and TALK to me instead of AT me.

Freightman
10-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Well I guess $4000 to $6000 is a ok and i am sure they are much better but there is no way it i either hear or eat and pay gas lights and water, and i am not complaining just being realistic.

uscra112
10-07-2022, 09:23 PM
VA will even pay for cochlear implants. My doctor (ex Army) has them on both sides. Medicare? Nada. Even $1000 is a strain for me.

BNE
10-07-2022, 09:27 PM
Thank you for this post. My father in law needs a pair and won’t pay the $3K each. These are worth a try!

Mikedominick
10-07-2022, 09:52 PM
I just had the VA approve my tinnitus claim, so I expect they're going to approve the hearing loss claim as well. I'm hoping the process to get hearind aids will be simpler than most other dealings I've had with them.

HollandNut
10-07-2022, 10:39 PM
I just had the VA approve my tinnitus claim, so I expect they're going to approve the hearing loss claim as well. I'm hoping the process to get hearind aids will be simpler than most other dealings I've had with them.

I went for hearing in 2019 and got 10% for tinnitus and 0 for hearing , even tho they said my hearing loss was in line with my job .. I did my hearing aids in July , made appt with the hospital , hearing test the next week and the hearing aids two weeks after that ..

Was about two months from the filing of the claim to my first check and they back pay you to the date you file the claim ..

legend 550
10-08-2022, 12:31 AM
Costco, their Kirkland brand are Siemens rebranded at a fraction of the cost. My last set was 1800.