PDA

View Full Version : What caliber for this critter?

Mikedominick
10-06-2022, 04:50 PM
We are enduring a plague of these things this year. Western Montana was really dry, I don't know if that's the reason for so many trying to get in this fall or not. We call them stinkbugs but a farmer I know down south set me straight: Leptoglossus occidentalis, the Western Conifer seed bug is from the Coreidae family. They are known as "leaf footed bugs.

Gone_rabid
10-06-2022, 05:08 PM
Nothing smaller than a 50bmg!

Johnch
10-06-2022, 05:14 PM
I also have a bunch of what looks like the same BUG here in NW Ohio
I use a Size 12 Boot to kill them

We also call them Stink Bugs

But IMO they are not hard to kill
But you want at least a little range
So I use the FAL and 7.62 x 51 Cast loads

John

BLAHUT
10-06-2022, 05:14 PM
We have them in Minnesota, along with mosquitoes and boxelder bugs. I spray the vertical sides of house and fences with BIFEN I/T, Insecticide / terrmiciticde, contact killer, I am careful with this for I also have an orchard and want the bee's, but get rid of most of the mosquitoes and keep dogs safe.

ACC
10-06-2022, 05:21 PM
That's nothing. In Texas we have bugs ten times bigger than that. But I tell you what I will do. I will trade you those bugs for our Fire Ants.

All kidding aside. Be careful with the poison or you will have a bigger problem. Envirognats. They fly in and tell you how we are ruining the Earth!

ACC

ButchC
10-06-2022, 07:11 PM
I'd try something out of the bug-a-salt lineup, maybe the shred-er, they look kinda thick skinned.

gwpercle
10-06-2022, 07:16 PM
What I find funny is you are up in Alberton , Mt. and I'm down South in Louisiana ...
We have the same (or similar) bugs and have for my whole life known them as "Stink Bugs" ...
Seems like them things live everywhere throughout North America .
In warm climates , like La. , they winter outdoors but in cold winter states they come inside and winter in any crevice they can find ... come spring they come out , inside your house and look for a way out to the outdoors to carry on the cycle of life .
Don't stomp em ... they Stink !
Gary

Geezer in NH
10-06-2022, 07:19 PM
Stink bug, squash bug. Pain in the ass. Kill all you see.

HollandNut
10-06-2022, 07:38 PM
They are everywhere , PITA

pete501
10-06-2022, 08:21 PM
The most I've seen too. A flyswatter gets them on the ground but I give them the svengoolie stomp. They are juicy. Malathion in a sprayer for contact killing.

Along with these are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Much more destructive than the conifer seed bug. They attacked our tomatoes.

Winger Ed.
10-06-2022, 09:02 PM
Whatever ya do--- stay up wind, and away from open windows and doors.

Kosh75287
10-06-2022, 09:49 PM
I'd recommend a 2.0" double ended gas-operated, select-fire rubber mallet.

dverna
10-06-2022, 11:57 PM
Bugs will be here after we blow the earth up.

Cannot help with this particular insect. Your local university or the DNR may be able to.

warren5421
10-07-2022, 08:07 AM
I find a good double 10ga works great but the wife isn't happy about the holes it leaves in the walls and furniture here in Indy.

MrWolf
10-07-2022, 09:11 AM
Hate those damn things. If fireplace is going then that is where they go or they get put on a price of paper or something and walked outside. Throw them to the ground and squash em. I did spray my crawl and porch last year and it did make a huge difference this year. Hate the damn Asian lady bugs too. They bite.

Dio
10-07-2022, 09:57 AM
We have them here in Eastern Indiana.....I find them mildly irritating but I'll take em I over chiggers and ticks.......I've. Ever noticed a smell from them even tho everyone calls them stinkbugs

waksupi
10-07-2022, 11:07 AM
We have them bad up here in the Flathead, too. It puzzles me how they seem to appear by magic.

gwpercle
10-07-2022, 11:32 AM
Bugs will be here after we blow the earth up.

Cannot help with this particular insect. Your local university or the DNR may be able to.

I've heard it said that after "the Big One" the only things that would survive would be ...
cockroaches and Keith Richards !
Gary

fastdadio
10-07-2022, 05:11 PM
We have them in Minnesota, along with mosquitoes and boxelder bugs. I spray the vertical sides of house and fences with BIFEN I/T, Insecticide / terrmiciticde, contact killer, I am careful with this for I also have an orchard and want the bee's, but get rid of most of the mosquitoes and keep dogs safe.

Bifen I\T is the only thing I've tried so far that killed the box elder bugs. I have them bad here in Mi. Sadly. it also killed the crickets living around the garage. I don't mind them much. They do no harm and I kind of like hearing them chirping at night when I'm putzing out in the garage.

wildwilly501
10-07-2022, 06:28 PM
Wait till you get spotted lanternfly goes from having none to millions if you have tree of heaven the lantern flies love them covered from ground to top.Both gifts from China

Dusty Bannister
10-07-2022, 06:41 PM
I doubt it will make any difference what caliber as long as it shoots "bug hole" groups.

SSGOldfart
10-07-2022, 10:15 PM
just try a shot shell made with cream of wheat in place of the lead shot. works good on carpenter bees as well. no more holes in the barn walls.( from either the bees or shot):lovebooli:brokenima

GregLaROCHE
10-08-2022, 12:47 AM
They are in Europe too. If I find insects in my vegetable garden, I usually remove them by hand. However, I won’t touch one of those. Sometimes there’s one in the house and I try to get them on a piece of paper and take them outside to squash. I wonder if they would smell if you sprayed them with insecticide if they would still stink.

Winger Ed.
10-08-2022, 01:44 AM
I wonder if they would smell if you sprayed them with insecticide if they would still stink.

I'm not sure how they use it. Maybe they have control over it like a skunk does.
I've hit a few with bug spray and from what I've seen- the ones here seem to have to be smashed to stink.
I don't know, maybe the spray killed them too fast to release it.