PDA

View Full Version : Paper patch cutting with the Cricut?

Mikedominick
10-05-2022, 05:35 PM
My wife has a Cricut and does all kind of things with it including cutting out designs. Has any one tried programming one to cut out bulk paper patches?

Gunlaker
10-05-2022, 06:48 PM
I've thought of asking my wire to try it :-). The cutting board that the paper sits on while being cut is very sticky. I wonder if residue would stick to the patches.

Chris.

Mikedominick
10-05-2022, 09:33 PM
I'll get mine to give it a shot!

Minerat
10-05-2022, 09:39 PM
My wife has a Brother scan and cut. You just need a picture or sample of what you want and know the dimensions to scale it. You can scan and size the picture then duplicate it to fit a bunch on one sheet. I'd wrap it with any sticky side in.

Sasquatch-1
10-06-2022, 08:25 AM
I've thought of asking my wire to try it :-). The cutting board that the paper sits on while being cut is very sticky. I wonder if residue would stick to the patches.

Chris.

My wife has one, but I don't paper patch. The mats come with different levels of tackiness to them. You will have to get one that fits your needs.

Mikedominick
10-06-2022, 09:24 AM
Thanks, it sounds like it should work.

ian45662
10-06-2022, 04:42 PM
I have done it. I went back to cutting by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikedominick
10-06-2022, 06:04 PM
Did it not work well, or do you just prefer cutting them?

Lead pot
10-06-2022, 08:28 PM
I prefer to do it a little different. I like using a roller paper cutter.
I lay out a sheet of paper with a templet of the patch, This gives me 9 strips with 4 patches each on one sheet of paper for a total of 36 .45 caliber patches per sheet with very little waste.
I staple 16 sheets together with a staple on each strip on both ends to hold them together for a clean precise cut. Then I cut the strips halve so I have just two patches held by a staple. This makes it better for holding them together for a good cut.
This gives me over 550 I can cut in less than one hour.
The time consuming part is drawing out the patches on the first sheet. I even tried to scan a sheet but that never copied one the same as the original.

FrankJD
10-11-2022, 07:19 PM
I've tried more than a few different patch cutting methods and always come back to a brass template.

Lead pot
10-11-2022, 10:32 PM
Frank,
There is nothing wrong with your method for cutting patches, I have used that also and still do now and then.
I shoot a large volume of PP rounds and for me taking 1500 to 2000 rounds on a trip to a couple gong shoots in Montana or just for a fun range time cutting one or two at a time makes it tough. :D

FrankJD
10-12-2022, 06:53 AM
Frank,
There is nothing wrong with your method for cutting patches, I have used that also and still do now and then.
I shoot a large volume of PP rounds and for me taking 1500 to 2000 rounds on a trip to a couple gong shoots in Montana or just for a fun range time cutting one or two at a time makes it tough. :D

I hear ya, it's all good. I cut 5 to 6 patches at a time using a brass template. Using an Xacto paper cutter and angled jigs I can get 10 to 12 patches in 4 cuts, but I still find the brass template to be more accurate when small consistent dimensions matter most. I only need a coupla hundred patches per shoot.

Kenny Wasserburger
10-12-2022, 09:43 AM
The more thickness you cut at one time, the wider and longer the patch gets towards the bottom layer of paper.

KW