PDA

View Full Version : Broken parts on Pietta 58. Need help

MontanaS
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, I now know why a cylinder loader is good to have. Today my link pin that connects the link to the rammer broke while loading a bullet. It was fourteenth bullet I loaded today and the 52nd over all since I got i for Christmas. The bullets were .454 but were rather hard and did not want to go into the cylinder easily. Also, the hole in the link is now worn in one direction. It looks like I'm going to need a new link and link pin. I have checked everywhere I can think of on line and cannot find a source for these particular parts, even from one of the major Italian companies that has parts for the Pietta's, Uberties, and the like.
Help please

Tn_River_Ratt
01-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Try a search for Numrich and give em a call. Had good luck finding odd parts in the past

Ratt

Bent Ramrod
01-31-2009, 12:50 AM
VTI Gun Parts should have what you need, although if they're out, it might be a year wait until that sea container comes on the slow boat from Gardone.

You'll put more wear on a C&B from trying to load hard RBs than you would from shooting ten times the number of lead balls. I wore out a wedge key on a 1860 Army doing that. Having them oversize compounds the problem.

MontanaS
01-31-2009, 01:16 AM
Found the parts at Taylors and ordered them an hour ago. As for the bullets, I will be casting them from much softer lead from now on. Even then I'll be using a cylinder loader instead of the rammer on the pistol

xd shooter
01-31-2009, 09:36 AM
So far casting the .454 out of the stick on WW has worked like a charm in my '51 Colt.

Rifleo
01-31-2009, 11:51 AM
It's always better to use pure soft lead in a cap&baller since the chambers of the Italian revolvers are under-sized compared to the barrels groove diameter. The soft lead can have to chance of obtuating (bump up) to fill the grooves of the barrel to negate gas blow-by and therefore enhance the consistancy of the accuracy. The soft lead also forms a better seal in the chambers to safeguard from chain-fires.

Evil Dog
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Had pretty much the same problem with my 36 caliber Uberti-made Remington 1858.... managed to bend the loading lever link. I think what happened is that I had just added too much Cream of Wheat in one chamber and was having a really hard time seating the ball below the chamber mouth. Apply enough pressure to the loading lever and something has got to give. In this case the "weakest link" was indeed the link. Ordered a new link and both link pins from VTI. Was unable to drive the connecting pin out from the plunger though so ended up ordering an entire loading lever assembly from VTI. Now I have a spare liver, link and both pins should I ever need them again. I've also quit using the Cream of Wheat filler, instead going to the Wonder Wads. Balls are .375" cast from dead soft lead.

mooman76
02-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Might try dixiegunworks