PDA

View Full Version : Rough running 2006 F250- it almost had me this time.

Winger Ed.
10-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Awhile back, the truck started running rough. A bad miss in the mid range, but no codes set.

I did some research and found things it could be and not set a code.
It's hitting 61,000 miles, so I'm not surprised it had some mid life crisis action going on.

I'd read a K&N air filter can through out oil and ruin the Mass Airflow Sensor-
so I replaced it and got a paper filter. No noticeable improvement.
Same with the fuel filter.
No vacuum leaks I could find.

It was a real head scratcher.
I was right on the verge of taking it to a real mechanic**, when it finally set a code for being lean.

From other's experience with professional mechanics--
if the repair costs less then $500., it was a simple fix and there wasn't much wrong in the first place.

Ahh-Hah! I've been to that school and I know what that is.
I wasn't sure which Oxygen sensor finally failed enough to set the code,
but when the parts store had American made ones:

I figured they are all original equip. the same age, and the older I get- the less I like crawling under trucks.
So I changed all four.

I beat the system again. Now I'll go celebrate, and do my happy dance.

Hannibal
10-04-2022, 05:30 PM
Mid-life crisis @61K miles? I drive 45K/year just to get to work and home. That ain't even broke in yet. 150K *might* be a mid-life crisis.

popper
10-04-2022, 05:40 PM
So I changed all four. On a v8 with dual exhausts? I haven't even looked at mine yet.

slim1836
10-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Just wait until a coil pack goes out, it's best to change all of them.

Slim

Winger Ed.
10-04-2022, 07:27 PM
Just wait until a coil pack goes out, it's best to change all of them.

Yeah, I did that a couple years ago when I changed the plugs.
Put on a set of hot rod after market ones, a couple went out at 2,000 miles, so I pulled 'em
and went back to Motorcraft ones.

Ford V blocks have the catalytic converters right behind the manifolds.
One O2 sensor near each end of them.
Even our 2002 Explorer with a V-6 has four.

Sasquatch-1
10-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Have you checked into changing the plugs yet? If I am not mistaken the 2006 has those new style plugs that like to break in the block when taking the old ones out. Evan professional mechanics have problems with them. Best watch a few vids before attempting to do this.

Hannibal
10-05-2022, 09:05 AM
Have you checked into changing the plugs yet? If I am not mistaken the 2006 has those new style plugs that like to break in the block when taking the old ones out. Evan professional mechanics have problems with them. Best watch a few vids before attempting to do this.

Did you read post #5?

Sasquatch-1
10-05-2022, 09:15 AM
Sorry. Wasn't quite paying attention. Did you have any problems with the plugs?

Handloader109
10-05-2022, 09:16 AM
You've changed the plugs and you don't even have buy 61k miles on it? I bought my 2005 at 95k, had a miss pop up at about 110k and changed the plugs, still there, so then changed the coils and miss went away. At about 150k or so had to do the coils again, boughtcheapies, and they've lasted till recently, I had a bad hesitation going up hills and it is always a coil going out. My wife finally threw a code and it happened to be front right, #1. Easy, had 5 I got free from my brother and it fixed it right up. 215k on it. Yeah, I should change the plugs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
10-05-2022, 09:19 AM
Have you checked into changing the plugs yet? .

I did them a year or so ago.
I only broke one.
It was so far back up in there, I thought I was going to have to take out the driver's seat to reach it.

The new plugs are one piece, and I'll make a great deal on the latest generation removal tool
for the broken part if anybody needs it.

The dealers and pros don't make any promises on changing them.
Some people talk of it costing over a couple thousand dollars if they're real bad
and they have to pull a head to get the broken parts out.

ebb
10-05-2022, 09:46 AM
I spent months trying to get a crankshaft position indicator sensor to completely fail so i could figure out what was causing the problem. Took it to one of my carpentry students and he had proof on his lap top that it was failing and fixed it for less than $150, in 30 minutes.

Sasquatch-1
10-06-2022, 08:09 AM
I did them a year or so ago.
I only broke one.
It was so far back up in there, I thought I was going to have to take out the driver's seat to reach it.

The new plugs are one piece, and I'll make a great deal on the latest generation removal tool
for the broken part if anybody needs it.

The dealers and pros don't make any promises on changing them.
Some people talk of it costing over a couple thousand dollars if they're real bad
and they have to pull a head to get the broken parts out.

I have a 2003 F150. Luckily the year before they went to the new style plugs. I have had two of coil packs go bad. When the second went I bought the cheapy replacements and, knock on wood, none have gone bad since. The complete set of cheapies and 8 spark plugs was the same price as 1 coil pack from Ford.

Tripplebeards
10-06-2022, 08:20 AM
There is a vacuum line under the intake manifold on the passenger side that liked to pop off of my 2004 f150 with the 5.4L. A real head scratcher. It isn’t possible to see it. I paid to have it diagnosed and found once. I’ve re installed it many times. I sprayed 3m adhesive inside the holes and it’s never come off sense. It’s probably popped off a half 1000 times after I paid hundreds of dollars to diagnose and find where it’s at. Every time I used to let my dad use my truck and pump the gas before he started it and would overload the truck and it would backfire through the intake and blow the hose off. Needless to say he’s not allowed to drive my truck anymore. Throws the same codes is an O2 sensor and makes the truck run really rough ,start hard, and not idle in cold weather. I have to unbolt the air cleaner to get enough clearance for my hand to get back underneath the intake well I’m straddled over the engine. O2 sensors replacement are a walk in the park as long as you have the right socket. Bought my truck in 2008 with 56,000 miles on it still have it with 163 it’s paid for itself many times over even though I’ve stuck a lot of money in it it beats having a payment. I should’ve replaced it 10 years ago. Working and running shops it was easy enough to keep replacing parts on it at no labor cost except for wholesale prices of the parts.

HollandNut
10-06-2022, 10:37 PM
My '01 has 195000 on it , done the coils and plugs three or for times , and I had a coolant leak at the water pump for a long time and wasnt bad , have to add to the Degas bottle a couple quarts a year , I knew what it was , but let it go , hoping just hoping , then a couple months ago , I was pulling stumps and afterwards wifey said looked like the coolant was leaking bad , yup the line under the manifold from the pump to the heater had finally rusted through , and I said nope enuff birthdays now to let someone else do this , aint fooling with it .. $2300 later I tell wifey , we good for another 195000 ...

Had very little trouble with the truck , been pretty reliable , no complaints at all ..

BLAHUT
10-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Even when I drove dogs there were days when it was hard to get them / us all started and they loved to run.