View Full Version : Old timey lee press..

acemedic13
01-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I have an older lee single stage press. The problem is that I have broken the bracket that holds the handle. The bigger problem is, that I cannot find the press that I have anywhere on any lee site or otherwise (I bought it off e-bay). The press I have is small and the handle sits in the middle of the bracket, not off to one side. The primer catching tray is a small little box off to the right side and it is also where 2 of the mounting screws go through. I will try and attach some pics when I can get the pic thing hammered out. Any help on locating a handle bracket would be great, or just letting me know what model it is.It does not have any other name or info on the press to help identify it. It is an O press. So thats a starting point! Thanks in advance guys. Joel

wiljen
01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Take a photo and send it to Lee via email with what you need.

acemedic13
01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks wil. I am gonna do that asap.

oneokie
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Sounds like the early Challenger press.

Tn_River_Ratt
01-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Ask for the newer steel links. The cast ones break.

Ratt

tonyb
01-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Changed mine, now it has pro 1000 toggles & handle. Better than that metal rod.

acemedic13
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey tony, are all the parts interchangeable?? I was about to ask that in a post. Glad you threw that out there. I can only find the same playschool looking garbage to replace it with. I will do a little more research and see if I can upgrade it. That zinc looking garbage toggle link is a piece of crap. The only steel part I can find for this thing is the connecting link. If you would not mind telling me what and where you ordered from I would appreciate it. Thanks. Joel.........

tonyb
01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
From the Lee web site. It is the zinc crap, but better than what it was.
The parts I ordered:
TP2128 TOGGLE/TURRET PRESS 2 $ 3.00 toggles
TP2105 LEVER/TP WHEELABRATE 1 $ 5.00 handle
FT3128 5/16-18X3 HEX HD CAP 1 $ 0.50 handle bolt
FT2111 NUT 5/16-18 HEX NUT 1 $ 0.50 nut for bolt
$12 + shipping
I already had a wood knob.

acemedic13
01-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info. You upgraded your challenger with the 1000....correct?? I just wanna make sure I order the correct links and that they will fit on my challenger press. Thanks, Joel

tonyb
01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Turret, pro 1000 same. Go to the web site they have pics. LOOK before you order.

acemedic13
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I called lee, they sent me the upgrade for 9.00 bucks delivered! Was easy and they were super cool.
Not like dillon or rcbs....free....but what can you expect from Lee? Their stuff is cheap in every sense of the word. So what the hell.......9.00 bucks aint a fortune and I have a playschool press for decapping and sizing and little stuff like that. I am getting the rcbs junior and gonna use it for swaging.......Getting off topic....Better get moving..... Thanks for the info, Joel.

22lover
02-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm a beginner, but I love my Challenger. It's certainly not top shelf but I've decapped and sized 1500 once-fired 45acp cases in the last week, in my spare time after work (in addition to chamfering and cleaning pocket primers with their $3 hand tools), then cleaned in corn cob to shiny new. I don't think you can beat Lee gear for price/performance....at least not from what I've seen out there.

acemedic13
02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm a beginner, but I love my Challenger. It's certainly not top shelf but I've decapped and sized 1500 once-fired 45acp cases in the last week, in my spare time after work (in addition to chamfering and cleaning pocket primers with their $3 hand tools), then cleaned in corn cob to shiny new. I don't think you can beat Lee gear for price/performance....at least not from what I've seen out there.

I agree, you cant beat it for the price. I still use it. They are made so cheap thats why they really dont have much of a guarantee. The parts are so cheap......It's really a moot point. 39.00 bucks brand new for a press... A guy cant complain to much. The other stuff I own is hands down lifetime warranty no questions asked.Thats a piece of gear worth having! All in all the little lee challenger is a great buy for the money.:drinks:

22lover
02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Indeed! I think if mine wears out, as it likely will someday, I'll go in for the classic cast press they have. That thing looks pretty much indestructable. However, I may graduate to a turret style before anything else. Right now I'm having a lot of fun just learning the process and the plain ol' press pretty much forces me to do so.