PDA

View Full Version : duplicating "DIXIE" buckshot 3X60cal loads??

10 ga
01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Got ahold of some "DIXIE" manufactured buckshot this year. WOW! It is 3 balls X 60 cal. Had extreme spread of 3.5" at 50 yds and easily penetrated 3/4 ply. Nasty stuff. Of course the price is about $8 per 5 rounds. Has anyone tried to duplicat these. It is my major project between now and next deer season. It comes out to 3 balls of 315 gr@. That is 945 gr load. The data said 1050 MV. You better be holding on when you light the fire cause she's gonna JUMP. Any info available on this loading would be helpful. I think this will be just dandy out to 70 +- yds on deer sized game and bear medecine under 50. They have a website if you google it. 10 ga.

BABore
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Search Dixie's forum and website. All of the info is there on what it takes. Ask ole Dixie himself too. I did. Shot some of my own tri-ball loads yesterday. BTW, what diameter choke tube did you use?

10 ga
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Used IC choke on one gun and a patternmaster on another. Both same result. 10

Dixie Slugs
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I would like to add some comments here. Our ammo is hard crafted and made from the highest quality components available indeed. Shipping is hurting everyone and the end is not in sight! Cost is always relative to quality indeed.
Having said that.....Lets' take a hard look at the Dixie Tri-Ball concept. There are some important things for the reloader to do if they decide to get into the multi-ball loading game.
(1) Hulls....use only new non-tapered hulls. Fiocchi and Cheddite are best.
(2) Wads.....After testing dozens of wads, there is only one that will work consistant. It is the Precision Reloading orange #TUPRW123
(3) Buffer....here's is where you can get into deep trouble dur to the buffer packing and not flowing. If the buffer packs, you will get blown wads.
(4) Powder...again you can get in trouble. The powder must be a slow burn powder. Alliant Blue Dot is best.
(5) Balls....do not use soft lead balls designed for muzzleloaders! The balls must be hard so they will not upset and cause sidewall pressure! An ideal alloy nix is WW with about 1 to 10 mix with tin. The balls should be between .600" and .605" as cast.
Now...lets put the 12 ga 3" load together. An ideal powder amount is 28 grs of Alliant Blur Dot. Dust the wads with Moter Mica and seat the wad firmly on the powder. Light taps with a wood dowel is best.
Add the balls in the wad and again tap them lightly to be sure they are seated firmly into the botom of the wad. Vibrated to buffer in until it just covers the top ball. Roll crimp to an OAL 2.76"
If you precisley follow these instructions you will have a duplicate of our Tri-Ball II
If you do not follow these instructions....you are on your on! There is no quick way to do this!
Chokes....This load with the oange wad works best with chokes from .675" to
690". The every early white wad used chokes down to .660"
Dixie has made it a practice to deal with the reloader as honest as we can....especially the cast bullet folks!
Regards, James