PDA

View Full Version : Pawnshop rescue - CVA Frontier Carbine

Sixgun Symphony
10-01-2022, 11:08 PM
Yesterday I really needed a budget ML rifle for loaning out to new shooters. So I went pawnshopping and found a bargain.

CVA Frontier Carbine, .50 caliber, percussion. This is a very small firearm, but it has a good bore and the lock is functioning like it should. It came to $165 after tax, so that came home with me.

Scorpion8
10-01-2022, 11:12 PM
Dang! All shades of jealous here!!! Great score.

LAGS
10-01-2022, 11:27 PM
Those are the type of rifles that I look for or ask my friends to buy them for themselves.
I am not concerned it there are problems with the guns , since I do my own rebuilding and restoration.

10-02-2022, 12:19 AM
Good grab on that one.

bedbugbilly
10-05-2022, 03:59 PM
That will be a good little rifle! Congrats on finding it!

Texas by God
10-06-2022, 12:08 AM
I want one like that. Especially at that price.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

armoredman
10-06-2022, 01:11 AM
That is neat - if I get certified as a 4H Black Powder instructor I might need to find one like that!

AntiqueSledMan
10-06-2022, 06:12 AM
Hello Sixgun Symphony,

I picked one of those up years back as a starter rifle for my son, they make a sweet little hunting rifle.
We did have an issue with it, I believe the barrel was bent as we couldn't get it to repeat from one distance to another.
We could sight it in for 30 yards, then at 60 it would be way off to the side. Sight it in at 60 yards, it would be way off to the side at 30.
I ended up purchasing a replacement barrel, now it shoots pretty good.
Unfortunately they are are rifled at 1:48, personally I think 1:66 would have been better.
It looks like they used up parts while building these, as we've noticed some with Hooked Breech and some with Button Breech's.
The two are interchangeable with the correct tang, but I recall some Stock relief is required to switch from Button to the Hook.
The one I purchased for my son had the Button Type Breech, now it sports the Hooked Type Breech.
Again, nothing fancy, just a good little starter to get someone interested in the sport. The single trigger does allow a gloved finger to operate.

AntiqueSledMan.

Sixgun Symphony
10-12-2022, 10:24 AM
That is neat - if I get certified as a 4H Black Powder instructor I might need to find one like that!

Peruse the pawnshops, take a muzzleloading borelight with you. Remember that prices can be negotiable when using cash.

Sixgun Symphony
10-12-2022, 10:28 AM
Hello Sixgun Symphony,

I picked one of those up years back as a starter rifle for my son, they make a sweet little hunting rifle.
We did have an issue with it, I believe the barrel was bent as we couldn't get it to repeat from one distance to another.
We could sight it in for 30 yards, then at 60 it would be way off to the side. Sight it in at 60 yards, it would be way off to the side at 30.
I ended up purchasing a replacement barrel, now it shoots pretty good.
Unfortunately they are are rifled at 1:48, personally I think 1:66 would have been better.
It looks like they used up parts while building these, as we've noticed some with Hooked Breech and some with Button Breech's.
The two are interchangeable with the correct tang, but I recall some Stock relief is required to switch from Button to the Hook.
The one I purchased for my son had the Button Type Breech, now it sports the Hooked Type Breech.
Again, nothing fancy, just a good little starter to get someone interested in the sport. The single trigger does allow a gloved finger to operate.

AntiqueSledMan.

I wonder if sections of the bent barrel could be salvaged for pistols. :idea:

Sixgun Symphony
10-12-2022, 10:32 AM
Well I find myself moving to Idaho and had to reduce my baggage for travel. So I gave that carbine to a young friend to get him started. It is a fun novelty for the moment, but the accuracy of this weapon with the longer hunting seasons and reduced pressure should build up a greater interest in traditional muzzleloading firearms.

AntiqueSledMan
10-13-2022, 06:35 AM
I wonder if sections of the bent barrel could be salvaged for pistols. :idea:

Hello Sixgun Symphony,

I still have it as that was my thoughts.

AntiqueSledMan.