View Full Version : Ruger 1, light primer hits

nekshot
10-01-2022, 03:52 AM
I have a older Ruger 1 and it occasionally has a light primer hit(primer gets shallow indent) and it does not matter what make of primer. Sometimes a recock will set it off. I totally disassembled and cleaned it to no avail. Any ideas?

Milky Duck
10-01-2022, 04:22 AM
yip I have an idea..... both a begera break open and a Baikal break open will missfire IF the action hasnt been closed firmly enough... so maybe try moving the opening,closing lever firmly into the closed direction just to make sure... it may or may not work...the bakail caught me out again tonight.fireing pin drops but wont even touch primer....

country gent
10-01-2022, 09:46 AM
May possibly be wear in the link not always clearing the disconnector mechanism. worn pins and or holes.

pietro
10-01-2022, 10:16 AM

If the firing pin is hitting the primer off-center, it's a breechblock position issue, as mentioned above.

However, if the FP is hitting the primer in the center, the problem is most likely a FP or FP tunnel issue.

(If it was the mainspring, the issue would be consistent, not intermittent)

You mentioned cleaning it, but if the firing pin & the FP tunnel isn't examined for a bad FP tip and/or tiny bits in there & cleaned, the issue isn't going away anytime soon.

If any #1/#3 owner isn't comfortable doing a complete strip down, they should take it to a real gunsmith (not some AR parts-changer) to resolve the issue.

nekshot
10-01-2022, 11:25 AM
It usually had i light hit in very cold temps. Aha, too much lube I thought. I did a complete dissemble and paid much attention to firing pin and it’s seat. I made a tool to scrape out the firing pin seat. The strike not dead center but almost. I was thinking hammer spring but I prefer to hear experience from someone with same problem rather than me chasing this rabbit hole. Not many parts in the gun but boy each part has a lot of function to do.

waksupi
10-01-2022, 05:27 PM
Make sure you are seating the primers to full depth.

rockrat
10-01-2022, 08:00 PM
I have a #1 in 460 S&W and have the same problem. Maybe 4 out of 10 will light off. Disassembled the breechblock and cleaned, then re-assembled and tried again. No go. Pulled the breechblock out again and started measuring things, then pulled the breechblock out of another #1 and measured stuff. Seemed like a measurement was off about 0.005", so contacted Ruger and send the gun back in. They said everything was within specs and it was fine. When it got it back, it still would only go off part time. :evil: Swapped breechblocks. 100% ignition with the breechblock from the other gun. Guess I should have told them I lost the breechblock and to fit another one!!!

Jedman
10-02-2022, 08:30 AM
I would suspect headspace could be the problem. You didn’t mention what the rifle is chambered in but the gun might be fine and in perfect headspace but the ammo could be the problem. More unlikely if it were a rimmed cartridge but No. 1’s are not chambered in many rimmed rounds. Just a possibility !

Jedman