PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mosin Nagant die set

mojavemike1
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Hello,
I purchased Lee re-loading dies for my Mosin Nagant with the Universal neck expander. I read in the instructions that I would need the Lee EZ expander for the .312 boolits, but since I have the Universal expander, I would assume that this no longer applies ?..also what lube can I use for the cases before sizing..I forgot to order it.
Thanks..Mike

oldoak2000
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Lee recommends their re-sizing lube - It's good stuff and economical.

I did the same thing (actually, Midway was Out/Stock), so I bought some RCBS sizing lube from the local Cabelas (cost 2x as much, but I didn't have to wait). And then I ended up not using it at all, (skipped the full-length sizing) as I was just loading 'very light' CB loads for my 91/30 using 'once-fired' brass that was shot in my 91/30. So far, good results - no problem chambering, and no gas-blow-by on the brass. I use the Lee neck flaring die, and a Lee collet-die to crimp the bullet in the neck.

Craig67
01-31-2009, 12:18 AM
If you don't use a .312 expander you might deform your boolits when seating them.

I use the Lee sizing lube, its good stuff.

Craig

mto7464
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
I've never tried it but someone here (or somewhere else) mentioned some this lube that is used to lubricate the wiring while wiring a house works well. They said you could get a hole large bottle for the same price as a 4oz bottle at home depot Wish my details were better but I still have a bunch of lube so I haven't looked yet

beemer
01-31-2009, 04:23 PM
The neck expander in the Lee FL die is set up for .308 dia bullets. You can order an expander for a .312 bullets to replace it. Some rifles ,especially the Finn's use .308 bullets, most Russian rifles use a .311-.312 dia bullets. Sometimes when seating .312 bullets in a case prepared for .308 the neck will deform or collapse , just works better with the .312 expander. You will still need to flare the neck to prevent shaving a lead bullet.

I like the Lee case lube to, it cleans up with water and is not as messy as some of the liquid lubes. I would use whatever I could find if I needed it. If you can't find anything locally plain old castor oil works very well, just remember it is a multipal use product and don't lick your fingers.

beemer

Junior1942
01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
IIRC, the Lee .312" expander for 303 is $2 on their site. Order extras in larger sizes, and chuck one in your drill press and touch it with an Arkansas stone and make it the diameter you want.

Gerry N.
01-31-2009, 07:03 PM
IIRC, the Lee .312" expander for 303 is $2 on their site. Order extras in larger sizes, and chuck one in your drill press and touch it with an Arkansas stone and make it the diameter you want.

.303 British Pacesetter die set, part #SE2358, $3. (From Lee's website)

Gerry N.

snaggdit
02-02-2009, 02:16 AM
I just loaded some 30-06 with CB sized .311, as recommended in another post. I had a boolit catch the edge of the case and bend the edge over slightly. Since the powder and filler was already in all the other cases, I opted to do a simple fix. I took out my Gerber Multi-tool and using the pliers end unopened, stuck it in the mouth of the cartridge and with light pressure rotated it back and forth. It did the trick. All the rest of the boolits seated with no issues, actually went in easy!

chuebner
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I've never tried it but someone here (or somewhere else) mentioned some this lube that is used to lubricate the wiring while wiring a house works well. They said you could get a hole large bottle for the same price as a 4oz bottle at home depot Wish my details were better but I still have a bunch of lube so I haven't looked yet

Be careful with this stuff when full-length sizing. You have to run your case in/out of the die in small increments or else you take the chance of sticking it in the die. Do NOT ask how I know this.:(
Now I only use Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Wonderful stuff. One tin will last two lifetimes.

charlie