PDA

View Full Version : Hi-mountain from now on I guess

Frosty Boolit
09-25-2022, 09:09 PM
So I was never very particular about which jerky spices or marinades I used on my venison and have used many different brands and flavors. I tried Cabela's brand last year with low expectations but man it was some of the best flavors I've eaten. The teriyaki and the peppered were my favorites. I recently got some gift cards for Cabela's for my birthday so I figured I'd get some seasoning since hunting season is on. I'm reading the package and it says the ingredients contain sucralose on 3/5 flavors in the variety pack. I was shocked to see that they would put an artificial sweetener in something that is already loaded with sugar(cure). I usually can taste the artificial sweeteners and think they have a repulsive flavor. I don't want to argue about whether they are safe or not. Each unto their own on that. I will say that I have other reasons to avoid them but amongst all the salt and spice they got past my taste buds undetected. I'll be watching closer and choosing carefully from now on.

G W Wade
09-25-2022, 09:29 PM
Hi Mountain fan here. We really like the Cracked Pepper and Garlic GW

versa-06
09-27-2022, 12:55 PM
Lots of DIY recipes on youtube & google. Add what you want nothing artificial if you please. We have gotten some really good recipes this way.

BadgerShooter
09-28-2022, 09:41 PM
Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon made with pork butts is amazing. I've made their summer sausage, brats and weiners also. Been excellent. I just put together my own bacon cure for some Canadian bacon. I'll find out how it worked in 2 weeks. I think putting your own recipes together is the way to go once you learn the ropes, but the results from Hi-Mountain have been consistently great.

SeabeeMan
09-28-2022, 09:56 PM
I've always liked Hi-Mountain but my brother in law put me on to PS Seasonings a while ago. They're out of WI, so that's always a bonus for me, have some really good stuff. I can personally recommend their whisky old fashioned, garlic summer sausage, and sweet/hot jerky seasonings.