PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my new bench

Dtdk
09-24-2022, 07:25 PM
Here it is, butcher block to wthflush install inline fab dock.

Mal Paso
09-24-2022, 08:04 PM
Nice! On wheels too. I have a similar tool chest for molds and dies across from my bench but it has my 10" powered wetstone on it.

WRideout
09-24-2022, 08:22 PM
That's a beautiful setup! I am too much of an artist to keep anything like that clean for very long.

Wayne

lancem
09-24-2022, 10:55 PM
I'd love to show you mine cause it's great but it would take me a day to clean it up enough to be willing to take a picture of it. Looks great and usable.

samari46
09-25-2022, 12:13 AM
Where did you get the stool with the back rest and wheels?. Thinking about getting one. Thanks, Frank

GregLaROCHE
09-25-2022, 02:21 AM
I like it. Especially with all the drawers. Easy open and close drawers is what I’m missing.

dale2242
09-25-2022, 06:11 AM
High dollar but definitely top notch.
I like it.

pworley1
09-25-2022, 06:18 AM
Very nice, congratulations!

dverna
09-25-2022, 07:25 AM
It looks nice. I have two I use for storage of reloading and casting stuff.

But, IMO, it will fail as a reloading bench if you keep it on wheels. It will need to be bolted to a wall at the very least.

Not being a jerk just a realist. Do not be offended.

country gent
09-25-2022, 08:40 AM
There are brakes available for tool boxes and portable benches, install one under the castor swivel side. when set it lifts them off the floor putting that side on a solid post ( 3 point setting) and really helps with stability.
The old drawer slides were okay if kept lubed and loads were lighter. The newer ball slides are great and if lubed glide open easily. They have become much more available now.

Im going to set up 2 smaller kennedy boxes as a bench for my bases and top boxes. Im currently thinking a poured concrete top they will be spaced out enough to get room for the 3 tops and bases. Probably 3" thick with wire mesh. Im planning on removing the castors and it being in one location.

My workbench is a butcher block style top from 2 X 4s with 4 2 X 8s meshed in to make stiffening ribs and the leg sockets. Very solid and stable. glued with dowels no nails or screws. Assembled it on 3 of the dowels and used the rest of the dowels holes and 1/2 13 threaded rods to clamp together.

Dtdk
09-25-2022, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the comments. The whole thing was not that expensive, infact the tool box came off of FB marketplace, and the table I got the top off of came off of Craigslist. As an aside, the legs from that table were used to make a workbench for my 2.5 year old.

The stool came from a home improvement store we have around here called Menard's.

GregLaROCHE
09-30-2022, 03:53 PM
So where can you find a tool chest on wheels like, without paying an arm and leg for it?

porthos
10-05-2022, 07:30 PM
go to harbor freight; but remember, you get what you pay for. if without wheels, you can add them

lancem
10-05-2022, 08:02 PM
go to harbor freight; but remember, you get what you pay for. if without wheels, you can add them
The HF boxes are really pretty good, I have one in my shop that is filled and used daily and then there is one in my enclosed work trailer that the animals use and it has held up to the abuse of being banged around on bad roads and by a crew that use it but don't own it if you get what I mean. I'd buy another without a second thought.

Mal Paso
10-05-2022, 09:20 PM
So where can you find a tool chest on wheels like, without paying an arm and leg for it?

Harbor Freight but shipping might kill the deal.

country gent
10-06-2022, 08:53 AM
One thing we found in the shop was the weak link on a lot of roller chests was the bottom of them. under a full load they would slowly collapse under the wheels when loaded. We would make up an angle iron frame from 1/4/X 2 X 2 angle iron for the box to sit in and the casters were attached to this spreading the load more over the bottom.

GregLaROCHE
10-06-2022, 12:06 PM
Harbor Freight but shipping might kill the deal.

Not only shipping, but customs duty too. Does Harbor Freight have mail order?

Rapier
10-06-2022, 04:45 PM
Like all reloading benches, it is too small in short ordr. Barns, shops, garages are never big enough in a few years.

Froogal
10-06-2022, 05:34 PM
I built mine using 2" lumber. It is HEAVY, but it does not move. Does not even wiggle. I can't imagine how it would be with wheels under it.

dverna
10-07-2022, 09:24 AM
I built mine using 2" lumber. It is HEAVY, but it does not move. Does not even wiggle. I can't imagine how it would be with wheels under it.

See my post #9. So far the Op has not reported back but I know it will not work as a reloading bench. Let me correct that. It will not work the way I would need it to.

I cannot believe so many folks think this is a good idea. I suppose it beats using a hand press...LOL They must never have had to resize military brass from a MG.

OP, it can be made to work but you need to lose the wheels or set it up so the wheels can be lifted off the floor onto a frame I came close to doing that with the two tool chests I got. Was going to build a frame lag bolted to the floor for the chests to rest on, but decided to make a dedicated bench that was bolted to the wall and keep the chests mobile for supplies.

Here is what I ended up with. I made the bench top and support legs from 2x4's I had laying around. The steel frame racking/bins were from Costco and cost $200 IIRC a few years ago. So less than $250. The only downside is the open bins are not full depth. Limits stacking of stuff in boxes, but it does make it easy to dump brass into the case feeder.

GregLaROCHE
10-07-2022, 01:56 PM
After almost overturning mine a few times while sizing 45/70 boolits, I bolted it down to the cement floor. It hasn’t budged since.

David2011
10-08-2022, 01:10 AM
DTDK, that’s nice. Congrats.

For everyone else: If that bench seems like it’s expensive, you should try building a quality one from wood. The price of the drawer slides alone, even cheap full extension ball bearing slides, is daunting. It requires good plywood to make the carcass and drawers, too. I recently built a similar sized bench with 21 drawers. The wood alone was right at $400. Add a BUNCH of fasteners, 21 sets of slides, drawer pulls, retractable wheels, glues and finishing materials. The cost escalates quickly. OTOH, the one I built is exactly what I wanted.

dverna
10-08-2022, 08:55 AM
DTDK, that’s nice. Congrats.

For everyone else: If that bench seems like it’s expensive, you should try building a quality one from wood. The price of the drawer slides alone, even cheap full extension ball bearing slides, is daunting. It requires good plywood to make the carcass and drawers, too. I recently built a similar sized bench with 21 drawers. The wood alone was right at $400. Add a BUNCH of fasteners, 21 sets of slides, drawer pulls, retractable wheels, glues and finishing materials. The cost escalates quickly. OTOH, the one I built is exactly what I wanted.

I am a hobby woodworker and agree 100%. I bought my tool chests on sale at Home Depot and they are a bargain. But a tool chest will not make a decent reloading bench.

For my shotgun reloading, I got two of these:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086?xid=plp_product_40

I added 2x6 boards for a shelf and put a bunch of shot and cast bullets on the shelf. Very sturdy and stable. Again, not worth the effort to build out of wood.

Froogal
10-08-2022, 09:20 AM
See my post #9. So far the Op has not reported back but I know it will not work as a reloading bench. Let me correct that. It will not work the way I would need it to.

I cannot believe so many folks think this is a good idea. I suppose it beats using a hand press...LOL They must never have had to resize military brass from a MG.

OP, it can be made to work but you need to lose the wheels or set it up so the wheels can be lifted off the floor onto a frame I came close to doing that with the two tool chests I got. Was going to build a frame lag bolted to the floor for the chests to rest on, but decided to make a dedicated bench that was bolted to the wall and keep the chests mobile for supplies.

Here is what I ended up with. I made the bench top and support legs from 2x4's I had laying around. The steel frame racking/bins were from Costco and cost $200 IIRC a few years ago. So less than $250. The only downside is the open bins are not full depth. Limits stacking of stuff in boxes, but it does make it easy to dump brass into the case feeder.

Mine is built using salvaged 2x4s for the legs. The top is built from NEW 2x10s that were purchased for a different project that didn't happen, and 3 tiers of shelves built from salvaged barn boards. The bench is designed like any other work bench. I can sit on a chair and put my legs under it. For what it's worth, my chair is a doctor's exam chair, found on Amazon at a surprisingly low price. It rolls easily to anywhere I need to be.

Three44s
10-08-2022, 10:25 AM
Mine is built using salvaged 2x4s for the legs. The top is built from NEW 2x10s that were purchased for a different project that didn't happen, and 3 tiers of shelves built from salvaged barn boards. The bench is designed like any other work bench. I can sit on a chair and put my legs under it. For what it's worth, my chair is a doctor's exam chair, found on Amazon at a surprisingly low price. It rolls easily to anywhere I need to be.

That’s like me ...... if I can not get my legs under it, I am leaning forward. With my bad back, it’s going to be a very short work session if I am leaning forward much.

The rolling chair I do not have yet but my cave has carpet on the floor right now so we will see on that one.

Best regards

Three44s

Froogal
10-08-2022, 04:14 PM
That’s like me ...... if I can not get my legs under it, I am leaning forward. With my bad back, it’s going to be a very short work session if I am leaning forward much.

The rolling chair I do not have yet but my cave has carpet on the floor right now so we will see on that one.

Best regards

Three44s

I thought I wanted a regular office chair until I started pricing them, and then I found the doctor's exam chairs on Amazon. Filled the bill quite nicely and comfortable to boot.