PDA

View Full Version : Bubba's Truck Gun

kootne
09-23-2022, 10:14 PM
This is my always in the truck, ready for anything, any season of the year gun. As you can see, an unfinished work in progress. Took a 2 or 3 mile hike in the woods today, got my todays limit (3/day) of mountain grouse. Two Fool Hens and a Blue. Beautiful fall day, the Creation was wet from yesterdays rain. Easy, quite, cool walk. Life is good.

45workhorse
09-23-2022, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you had a good day!

beagle
09-23-2022, 11:30 PM
You know, not a truck gun but I had a bubba'd 12 guage single barrel 12 guage when I was in junior high school. Barrel had been cropped to barely legal length. Had a piece of parachute cord as a sling. My dad would bring home 12 guage buckshot from the prison where he worked when they got ragged and switched them out so I always had 00 and #4 Buck as well as shot loads. In the summer, this was my carry gun on fishing and woods rambling trips. Great on snakes and turtles. Once a friend I encountered a pack of feral dogs around the city dump that acted like we were in their teriitory. One stayed behind and the remainder left on afteburner. That was a handly little gun and I think I sold it for $10. Everyone needs a "truck" gun./beagle

Texas by God
09-24-2022, 12:50 AM
I haven't been without at least one truck gun since before I got my first truck! This one was my first.
I like yours, is that a Poly choke on the muzzle? If it's a 12 gauge- ouch!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220924/abbf95775dfd0fc9d48dabe31dfa3bab.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

JoeJames
09-24-2022, 09:35 AM
I whomped up mine about 8 years ago. Barrel is legal - 18 1/4". Spent about $6 for a side saddle shell holder. Reckon you'd call it a cylinder choke.

kootne
09-24-2022, 03:10 PM
I haven't been without at least one truck gun since before I got my first truck! This one was my first.
I like yours, is that a Poly choke on the muzzle? If it's a 12 gauge- ouch![IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-

Not a Poly Choke (we used to call them a "Dial-A-Duck"). I got a solder on Win Choke adapter from Brownells, then made a ramp and ring soldered on over that and the choke tube is one of those extended Turkey chokes.
Here is maybe a better picture
Some of the shells I carry on the console, (Cherokee Jeep) right to left; Shorty slug (Deer), .410/Little Skeeter adapter (grouse), Wally World cheap #7.5 (grouse), Win. 2.75" #4 lead (Turkeys), 3" #4 steel (duck).
The rib/weaver base is for if my eyes get any worse.
There will be a set old style Winchester sling studs added and a recoil pad. It is no fun to shoot at inanimate objects.
Way down the road; Some sort of patchbox like the old muzzleloaders for storing choke tubes, minature flashlite, small pocket knife, matches & candle.

Here is a scabbard & bandolier set up, I got the pieces off ebay.

lancem
09-24-2022, 08:03 PM
Here is a scabbard & bandolier set up, I got the pieces off ebay.

I'm liking that, thanks for the idea!

CastingFool
09-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Something to consider for those who live in northern states, you leave your gun in your truck and it's cold out. You turn the heater on and the cold metal starts sweating. Eventually, rust is going to form. When I started driving, I was carrying a small toolbox in my car. One day I noticed all my tools were starting to rust. Then I figured out why.

besk
09-24-2022, 08:38 PM
My truck gun is a folding Yiltz 410 with the barrel cut to 19". Academy Sports sells them. Very light weight. It is stored behind my pickup's seats in the cut off leg of a pair of pants.

Killed many a water moccasin with it.

Texas by God
09-24-2022, 09:37 PM
What brand is your custom gun, kootne? At first I thought Savage 94?

kootne
09-24-2022, 10:36 PM
What brand is your custom gun, kootne? At first I thought Savage 94?

Winchester 37A

ebb
12-20-2022, 10:25 PM
I have a single shot Stevens 12 gauge that was dad's, but I am reluctant to alter it in any way. Not so with my version of a truck gun. it's a Turk Mauser with a Montana Rifleman barrel in 30-06 with 6 power Leupold and a green Houge over molded stock. it is in a heavy soft case with almost 100 rounds of my hand loads. imwork sometimes for a rancher nad had big hopes of being over run by hogs and making a last ditch shoot out. But truth is I've not seen one since I built the rifle.

ebb
12-20-2022, 10:27 PM
This is the shotgun forum DUH!!!! sorry

Milky Duck
12-21-2022, 12:44 AM
fit a slip on recoil pad and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use ear protection..those short shotties are a power of fun but they are terrible on hearing and the damage doesnt go away,they are great for developing a flinch too...its the noise your body is reacting too.
you CAN beat a jug choke back in if you are carefull... did mine on LPG gas ring with ball pien hammer ,pretty hard to get it much more than 1/4" long and even,but if you started out 2" longer than wanted to end up,you have room to try again a couple of times if not happy with result.

georgerkahn
12-21-2022, 08:53 AM
I soooo envy all of you who are able to (legally) have a "truck gun". Yup -- I have a truck -- and in the good old days, years back, I had a truck gun. HOWEVER -- now, in New York State one (I believe) must have any firearm in a CASE with ammo in another locked case -- the two separate and apart.
"A hundred years ago" (wink wink) I knew a few fellows who would go "hoggin'" -- One would drive with .22 carrying passenger -- with barrel out the window -- seek a groundhog. After a shot, they'd stop to inspect, and rotate -- e.g., the driver would now become the passenger/shooter. Et cetera, et cetera, etc. TONS of fun, a very slight reduction in the groundhog population, and no harm/foul by having the rifle in the truck.
Those days are gone.............................................. ...
Again, I envy those of you who still have the freedom to actually just have a firearm in your vehicle!
geo

Geezer in NH
12-21-2022, 07:10 PM
I feel bad for the normal folks in upstate /western NY as you are owned by the 7 boroughs around NYC. You need to be your own state.

Texas by God
12-21-2022, 07:22 PM
My current truck gun(s) are a .410 folding single shotgun, a .218 Bee single shot with scope, and a Rossi .38 snub nose. Subject to change but there's always at least one in there...

Baltimoreed
12-21-2022, 07:50 PM
I don't have any longguns that I think so little of that I would just carry around and leave in my vehicle. My edc is with me except when I have to leave it in the underseat safe in my Tj. Maybe if I installed a sg rack like a patrol car has. I would use this old M1912 cut up 20 ga. It’s cut down and has a sling on it now.

Gtek
12-22-2022, 05:44 PM
How about let's say great minds think alike. I also have a Win 37A 12 (among his seven 12, 20, 410 brothers) with an 18 1/2" barrel, two poly chokes and a solder sleeve for a full compliment of chokes and have never decided on which way to go. Chokes and tool in kit bag for carry or dial a pattern, should get to that some day.

W.R.Buchanan
12-31-2022, 12:50 PM
Here's my Truck Gun. It's a Montgomery Wards Mossberg 500, called the "MonkeyBerg!" Go find the Thread,,, "What I did to my Shotguns" and there's a complete write up on it and several others as well.

Randy

John in WI
08-05-2023, 08:54 AM
Maybe I'm going with a wimpier shotgun, because I drive a Toyota Matrix :-) I don't think the Matrix gives me enough of a man-card to be carrying a 12ga. Anyway, I keep an emergency bag in the vehicle (a minimal "bugout bag"), and keep a Rossi break action 20ga. I keep it broken in half, so it's completely stashed in the bag, along with a hard box for shells. I have some commercial Berneke slugs, some #F reloads for medium sized game, and a bunch of small shotshells. 3 separate times this summer, I went to visit my elderly mom and she told me the woodchucks were rooting up the yard and garden. In just a minute I can have it reassembled and ready to go. I like the Rossi quite a lot. It's obviously cheap. I paid I think $85 for it. Plastic stock and forend. For the price, I don't really care if it takes some damage. Scratches, whatever. Anyway, it's taken it's share of varmints, several rabbits, and some squirrels. And, if I ever found myself away from home and something fell apart out in the world, it could serve as an SD weapon if it needed to. A single shot is obviously not ideal, but it's a heck of a lot better than being unarmed.

Texas by God
08-05-2023, 08:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230806/11439351ef4e0c764b73ea4584d0b004.jpg
And boat guns….
$200 Maverick gets stepped on.
Doesn’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kootne
08-06-2023, 05:02 PM
A boat gun really needs a piece of baling twine between it and the boat.:kidding:

deces
08-06-2023, 08:43 PM
I always thought that the original truck gun was an SKS, times have changed

pworley1
08-07-2023, 06:26 AM
Great thread, those are some very interesting truckers.

Texas by God
08-07-2023, 09:45 AM
A boat gun really needs a piece of baling twine between it and the boat.:kidding:

No kidding, you are right!
At the top of the pic is a shoulder bag strap that gets clipped to the swivel stud on the buttstock.
Just in case……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Cheer
08-17-2023, 07:48 AM
Never had one to try out but always thought one of those dial-a-choke's mite make the ultimate sawed off.