PDA

View Full Version : Free-lowcost / u pay shipping. High performance glass

johnsonian09
09-21-2022, 02:48 PM
As scrap that’s too small for me to make anything out of I end up with off cuts anywhere from less than 12x12” to 36x36” and sometimes 12x84” and anything in between

Mostly low E glass with some regular DS and quarter inch or laminate glass. I fill a dumpster once a month with glass.

If anyone ever needs some for small projects or to fix windows let me know. I have walls lined with the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazoo
09-21-2022, 06:32 PM
Where you at?

johnsonian09
09-22-2022, 11:54 PM
Connecticut.

if you have a specific glass size il cut some for you when large enough scrap is available to make it.

MrWolf
09-23-2022, 09:20 AM
Very nice of you go offer that to our folks. Thanks.
Ron

Bazoo
09-23-2022, 10:49 AM
It is a very nice gesture. Thank you.

GL49
09-24-2022, 11:56 AM
Dang. I'll bet shipping to Oregon would be a killer. That's a great offer, good to see things like that.

johnsonian09
09-24-2022, 01:10 PM
When we ship our huge window crates to california. it’s 300$ min order from the shipping company. The shipping on 1 or 2 windows is similar to 10-15 boxes each weighing in at 40lb+

If someone wanted small panes fedex could work. The biggest windows we ship fedex are around 20”x30”. They break them otherwise. They don’t know how to not run boxes over with fork lifts over there. Fragile stickers are bullseyes for those guys.

Customer once sent us a ring video of a fedex guy lobbing the small grate onto the porch. Very audible shattering noises.

Kosh75287
09-24-2022, 01:28 PM
Cool deal! It makes me want to add some layers in various penetration tests!

ascast
09-24-2022, 01:41 PM
I will be PM'ing you.

MUSTANG
09-25-2022, 11:55 AM
Wish it was closer. I have been tinkering with designs for Making an old school style large greenhouse to extend growing season in Montana. Pane glass would have been just the ticket - But; I will keep looking in the local area.

Thanks for offering up to the group.

MaryB
09-25-2022, 01:48 PM
Will have to keep this in mind after I revamp my desk. I have some maps and other data I keep on my desk and it needs a piece of tempered glass over it to keep them clean and not curling up on the edges. Need the new monitors in place before I can measure it though... and the amplifier off the desk and into the rack...

The desk in question... lot of stuff going on!

https://i.imgur.com/USrTgDi.jpg

Gone_rabid
09-25-2022, 09:39 PM
I’m in need is a piece of tempered or a couple pieces of ceramic glass for a fireplace. Happen to have anything like that I could purchase? I don’t have the size on me at this moment.

johnsonian09
09-26-2022, 10:45 AM
Tempered glass would be a rarity to reuse. But I do occasionally have to scrap it out.

It’s first cut, heated to almost molten, and blasted with cold air to cool to surface at a rate faster then the inside.

Tempered panes have to be used as is. If you try to recut them they will blow apart. The tempered I can give away will either be cut incorrectly for the window or have a cosmetic scratch in the low E coating.

If your looking for tempered glass pm me and I can tell you what I have and if it’s useful to you, then work out the shipping

MaryB
09-26-2022, 02:33 PM
Tempered glass would be a rarity to reuse. But I do occasionally have to scrap it out.

It’s first cut, heated to almost molten, and blasted with cold air to cool to surface at a rate faster then the inside.

Tempered panes have to be used as is. If you try to recut them they will blow apart. The tempered I can give away will either be cut incorrectly for the window or have a cosmetic scratch in the low E coating.

If your looking for tempered glass pm me and I can tell you what I have and if it’s useful to you, then work out the shipping

Doubt you will have it them, I will go with some plexi and just replace it when it gets to scratched up... piece would be 24"x9" so long and narrow.... enough to fit 2 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper under it.

johnsonian09
09-29-2022, 08:37 AM
For clarification.

This is mostly low E glass, used to insulate your home. It’s almost as thermally efficient as having a wall space instead of a window.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220929/7ce75fbeaf6bc26d31f30e263fe2fd1c.jpg

An image to show a side by side of the insulating effect.

It reflects heat to its source. Keeps heat you paid for inside in the winter, and reduces heat penetration in summer.

Great to fix up your windows with in older homes, and some modern ones if your current windows don’t currently have low E

They save you money, and I throw sizeable pieces out that are too small for my customers needs. But could be used to replace lites for most people.

Or for various art, craft, machining/polishing uses

johnsonian09
09-29-2022, 08:44 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220929/aabe2691c72950cb3e7c6e3de99f4a2f.jpg
A few days worth of scrap (to me) hammer for perspective. The trash cart easel is 4x4’ of plywood

johnsonian09
09-29-2022, 08:47 AM
Some of my smaller windows are taller then I amhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220929/5f33ffb9dff3025684749e5a73e096dc.jpg

But basically if you think you can use it, tell me what size you need, il check if I have it. and il tell you how much the shipping will be. And you can have it.

If your local or nearby ct you can pick it up for free.

TurnipEaterDown
09-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Just a comment: I have used small glass plates for rolling lap compound into bullets for bore lapping.
Another possible use for small size pieces that should be able to ship OK.

jonp
09-30-2022, 02:03 PM
Would that laminate glass work for a wood stove? High Temp?

jonp
09-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Just a comment: I have used small glass plates for rolling lap compound into bullets for bore lapping.
Another possible use for small size pieces that should be able to ship OK.

Best way to put a razor edge on wood chisels is a piece of glass

johnsonian09
10-02-2022, 08:17 PM
Laminate should crack under heat as it’s cut with fire/heat application along with scoring, I’m not sure how pyrex or oven door glass is made.

If you want to use 1/8 glass for lapping or tool sharpening send me a size you want and il quote the shipping for you. I don’t have any 3/16 or 1/4 scrap available currently.

A 1/2 thick piece of glass made for lapping is 20$ on Amazon. I’m not sure if I can ship anything for much less then that. The reason people use thicker glass for those purposes is it bends less. I can bend a rip of 1/8 several inches before it breaks.

That being said In desperation I did use a mirror to redeck and flatten an engine block. And that worked so precision is relative to the task I suppose.