PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Lube formula

Bodine
01-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Has anyone attempted to make a synthetic lube yet?

I am a MTL Fan and I guess they have stopped making lube (Drats!)

From speaking to them I hear their formula is for sale, but 5 Grand is a ton of moohla! I can experiement a whole lot for 5 Grand.

I was thinking of trying the following:

Amsoil Synthetic Series 2000 Bearing grease

Loctite Krylox RFE PFPE

Sodium Sterate

Lanoline

I am at a loss whether to use a little beeswax (which burns) or there is a grainular synthetic wax additive that candle makers use to "stiffen up" their wax mixtures (mostly soy candle wax).

I need the lube to be sticky, but stay on the bullet in hot weather with little bleed. The lube needs to be soft enough to "spin off" upon muzzle exit.

I have tried Tom Grays #24 and it is too soft and comes off when I bump my bullets.

LBT Blue is too hard and I have lube splatter on my 100 yard targets.

Any suggestions?

felix
01-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Bodine, there are several synthetics I have messed with, and the ones that literally stick in my mind the most are those which cannot be cut with typical solvents we use in cleaning guns. To say the least, they do their intended applications without peer. One in particular will stick to anything, soft as hot butter, having a melting point of 500F, and a smoke point at about 600F. The message here is there's a lube that will work for boolits, but I have not yet found it. Keep in mind that most synthetics will not combine properly with our typical carriers, like beeswax. Can you imagine the synthetic I described is nothing but a chain of urea molecules? ... felix

StarMetal
01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
The synthetics will combine better with paraffin. I'm using a partial synthetic lube and it's fantastic. No I'm not explaining it, I've done so already...you fellows can go on using what you've been using...or what you've heard i is the best. I'll keep on keeping on with my own thank you.

Joe