PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding reloading info and materials for win 95 commemorative 38-55

Spike][][][
09-17-2022, 07:52 PM
Need help finding correct bullet diameter, brass, molds, jacket bullets and reload data. Trying to work up a good hot hunting round preferably HP for this gun. I have only harvested deer with bows and muzzleloaders up until now and would like this gun to take my first firearms harvest. I will be passing this gun down for many generations I hope as it is a chief crazy horse commemorative and I think 38-55 is something worth keeping alive because of its history. I also want to thank this community for all the knowledge it has brought me over the years. I may be a new member but been reading these threads along time. My everyday carry is a Ruger old army, you can tell a lot about a man by his iron and his boots or lack there of.

Texas by God
09-18-2022, 12:51 AM
You will need Winchester or Starline brass(shorter length). The Lee 379250F is a good start for a mould.
I haven't found a need for any other powders beside Unique and 4198.
It's a neat cartridge.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

muskeg13
09-19-2022, 06:28 PM
That would be a Model 94. The Winchester 1895 wasn't offered in 38-55.

But to answer your question, I'd strongly recommend that you get a copy of the Lyman 51st Edition Reloading Handbook. While there are only 2 pages in it dedicated specifically to the 38-55, there is an absolute wealth of invaluable general reloading information contained therein. This book can be had for less than $30 through Amazon, and it, and its earlier editions, are my go-to 1st source for reloading information. I don't think anyone who reloads should be without one.

If you really want to get into bullet casting, you might also want to get a copy of the Lyman 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook. I don't own any stock in Lyman Products, but Lyman has crammed over 100 years of reloading and bullet casting wisdom and scientific data into these two books.