PDA

View Full Version : New (actually old) Smelting Burner

hoodat
09-17-2022, 06:38 PM
So awhile back a friend gave me this old plumbers furnace that he had sitting around. With the propane tank - about half full. I finally got around to trying it out.

Well I've gotta say that it's a hot one. Noisy though. I had a bunch of sheet lead that came from old roof vents. A lot of rubber sealant, and nasty smelling stuff. Didn't take long to get to smoking and finally flaming, and I had a pretty good melt going on. Then-- in blew a rain cloud. I had to shut er down, and put a cover over things. At least I know it will work good.

I'm gonna have to improvise when it comes to filling that old propane tank though. It doesn't have a conventional valve on it, an I'm going to have to figure out a gizmo to do it from another legal tank. jd

Alstep
09-17-2022, 08:39 PM
Those are great burners. I've had one for years, but the valve threads on mine stripped out and couldn't shut it off. Wasted all the gas I had left in the tank. A good reason to never store LP tanks inside. Took it to a welding supply shop and some commercial propane dealers, but it's so old and out of date that nobody will service it. Doesn't meet code any more.

jsizemore
09-17-2022, 08:42 PM
In my area it's a commercial setup and is exempt from the new tank requirements. Might have to get a pressure check on the tank.

Green Frog
09-19-2022, 03:51 PM
I inherited one from a friend but I don’t know what I’m going to do for tank refills… that valve is no longer current, so I guess I’ll have to find some old timer who’s been in business forever and still has the odd adaptors.

Froggie