PDA

View Full Version : Vintage CCI Shotshell primers

beezapilot
09-17-2022, 04:14 PM
Not really what you might call "old", but I'd not seen the packaging before. Lots of stuff showing up at the swap meets these days, people are really cleaning out!

15meter
10-09-2022, 09:24 AM
A buddy came across multiple 1000's of the "Remington" sized primers for next to nothing.

He's been loading them all summer in AA hulls. He's figured out which fast food soda straws will work as bushings to be able to use the small primers in the big 209 sized hole.

He shoots 10-20 lines of skeet and trap per week, he still has 3000 plus primers left, he only shoots them out of fixed breech shotguns. Claims the "bushing" has the potential to get down in the action on pumps and autoloaders.

I've got too many weird friends.

beezapilot
10-31-2022, 11:35 AM
When I posted this I thought they were pretty cool, but fully intended to give them a try. Didn't know that in the old days they were different sizes! Thanks for the heads up 15meter!

harkom
02-27-2023, 05:42 PM
Take note that the CCI 157 primer has a covered flash hole, whereas the Remington 57 has open flash hole. Ball powder should not be used with latter type.

barnetmill
03-01-2023, 07:53 AM
When I posted this I thought they were pretty cool, but fully intended to give them a try. Didn't know that in the old days they were different sizes! Thanks for the heads up 15meter!

you could try with magic glue in gel grade or maybe loctite to glue/seal them in place. I have seen youtube people doing such with boxer primers seated into decapped berdan cases with the anvil removed from the boxer primer. Do not get any of the glue or loctite in the flash hole(s).

William Yanda
03-01-2023, 09:47 AM
you could try with magic glue in gel grade or maybe loctite to glue/seal them in place. I have seen youtube people doing such with boxer primers seated into decapped berdan cases with the anvil removed from the boxer primer. Do not get any of the glue or loctite in the flash hole(s).

Don't some reloaders use a punch out of tissue paper to keep open primers powder free?

turtlezx
03-01-2023, 04:59 PM
kids straw from chic falay work best

Chili
03-10-2023, 04:10 PM
Those primers are most likely pre-1963 since there is no zip code on the box under the address.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Teddy (punchie)
03-10-2023, 07:47 PM
These are primers for the SP Remington casing (Hulls)

eastbank
03-11-2023, 12:48 PM
a few years ago i bought a pint jar full of mixed 209 shotgun primers for 20.00, all maybe 20 or so years old and i never had a miss fire with any of them. i don,t know why they were in the jar or how they were stored, but they worked.

toot
03-14-2023, 07:07 AM

you are so right, I have been doing them this way for years, even finger nail polish also.