PDA

View Full Version : Question - what is this ? ( came with MiHec bullet mold)

HikerLT
09-17-2022, 12:45 PM
I know this is a stupid question...

I purchased a MiHec mold #359640 - it came with the inserts to cast various size hollow-points.

This also came with the mold - I'm unsure what it is for and how you use it.
Is this for seating gas checks ?

see the pic :

405grain
09-17-2022, 12:50 PM
It's a top punch. You use this part in a luber/sizer to push the bullet through the sizing die. The contour on the punch matches the nose of your bullet, so you won't get any deformation from pushing the bullet into the die while sizing or seating gas checks. You use a different shaped top punch for each different bullet.

Winger Ed.
09-17-2022, 01:01 PM
If you use a standard lube/sizer press, yes- that's exactly the right top punch to seat the gas checks with.

BLAHUT
09-17-2022, 01:16 PM
Top punch for lube/sizer, different for each bullet. Use to push bullet in/through lube sizer without damaging bullet.

oley55
09-17-2022, 04:47 PM
Top punch for lube/sizer, different for each bullet. Use to push bullet in/through lube sizer without damaging bullet.

And NOE sells an adapter that will hold them if you are using the Lee or NOE type push through boolit sizing dies.
https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/bullet-casting-reloading/sizing-tools/bushing-push-through-size-die/top-punch-holder/

bedbugbilly
09-18-2022, 09:23 AM
+1 ^^^^^^^^

I just switched over to NOE's sizing system where you use sizing bushings - for use with a standard loading press. I got the adapter and appropriate top punches for my needs and the work slick - Al's new sizing system is fast making my Lee push through sizing dies obsolete.

gwpercle
09-18-2022, 06:21 PM
I know this is a stupid question...

I purchased a MiHec mold #359640 - it came with the inserts to cast various size hollow-points.

This also came with the mold - I'm unsure what it is for and how you use it.
Is this for seating gas checks ?

see the pic :

It is a top punch used on a Lube/Sizer like a Lyman 450 or 4500 . It may possibly fit other lube/sizer makes that I am unfamiliar with. The top punch appears to be for a SWC type boolit nose . On the Lyman 450 / 4500 the gas check is placed in the bullet sizing die and the boolit base placed in the gas check , when the handle is pulled down the fitted nose punch presses the boolit down into the sizing die , lube pressure is applied lubing the boolit , lifting the handle ejects the lubed , sized , gas checked applied boolit ready to load ... the nose punch allows this without deforming the boolit nose .

I order one custom nose punch with every NOE mould I buy... Lyman's nose punches do not always fit the custom made moulds ... Trust Me on This !!!

When using the Lyman 450 / 4500 this punch is not used to seat gas checks , the nose punch is installed in the upper arm/ram and moves downward on the boolit nose to push the boolit through the sizing die ... base first .
Gary