PDA

View Full Version : Crimping where?

atr
01-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Your thoughts on roll crimping : I roll crimp the grove or on the solid band of the boolit ??
your thoughts are appreciated
atr

01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
A to Z opinions on this I'm sure!
Since I shoot mostly for fun and accuracy and with lower pressure loads and softer cast bullets my loads usually don't require much crimp. For single shots and the Win 95s I either don't crimp at all or just barely enough to hold bullet. I'd rather taper crimp if a crimp is needed. For the tube mag guns and heavier recoiling revolvers I'll roll crimp into the bullet crimp groove so the case mouth is flush with the forward, right angle edge of the crimp groove. Then just enough to keep the bullets in the rounds sitting in the mag or in the cylinder or during cycling from moving.

The only other reason to crimp that I can think of is to get reliable ignition and build to best pressure where the powder type is slower and the charge/pressure/velocity needs are higher.

I've convinced myself that in most of my loads and types of powders the necessity for a crimp to build reliable pressure is not needed and may actually hurt accuracy by deforming the softer bullet. Too much crimping will also likely shorten case life.

Boerrancher
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I've convinced myself that in most of my loads and types of powders the necessity for a crimp to build reliable pressure is not needed and may actually hurt accuracy by deforming the softer bullet. Too much crimping will also likely shorten case life.

I am with you there. I taper crimp all of my cast boolit loads just enough to hold the boolit still. I posted on another thread that years ago I started taper crimping because my 357mag brass was not lasting as long as I thought it should before the cases started splitting at the mouth. I started taper crimping just in the upper portion of the crimp grove if the boolit has one just enough for the taper to keep the boolit from being forced back into the case from recoil in tube mag rifles, or jumping forward in wheel guns.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

runfiverun
01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
i.m.o.
crimps are there to keep you boolit from moving, forward in revolvers,and back in levers and semi-auto's.
i experiment with them and use as needed,and as little as i can get away with.
to either function the gun or keep the boolit from moving.
using neck tension [as little as possible] or a combo, to burn the powder reliably,or a change of powder[faster].