PDA

View Full Version : Newbie caster

22lover
01-29-2009, 08:13 PM
In fact I don't even have my melting furnace yet. However, I am accumulating supplies slowly but surely.

I have wheel weight lead on the way. I intend to cast 380, 9mm, 38sp, 45 acp, and as close to 00 buck as I can get. It's a big undertaking, having zero casting experience, but it will be fun for me.

In general, what will I achieve by casting with wheel weight and air-cooling, versus quenching in water? I do have some heat treating background but sadly it's just ferrous metals.

Any advice is appreciated. I have all Lee reloading equipment, which I really like, so I intend to purchase a Lee furnace and Lee moulds unless there's some compelling reason to spend a lot more for another brand.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

booboo1000
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Just have at her kid, and good luck. Do us a favor and post a reply in a year. Remember what Mark Twain said, " anyone who has carried a cat home by the tail; has 1000% more experience than some who has not. Good luck and keep us posted.

docone31
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
An whole lot of reading on this forum. Some threads from start to finish.
Melt in a seperate pot, then fill your prime pot for casting. Saves a lot of frustration skimming slag.
And yeah, read the Lee instructions with the mold, and have at it.
Lee Molds like to run hot. Frosting is good.

454PB
01-29-2009, 11:10 PM
For the calibers you mentioned, there's no need to heat treat. Get the diameters right and WW alloy will work fine air cooled.

Bloodman14
01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
What docone31 said! Make sure you 'smoke' the mold.
Check out Lee Precision's website for round ball molds; they have a single cav. .36 mold.