PDA

View Full Version : Old Lee automatic primer pocket cleaner

abunaitoo
09-15-2022, 02:13 AM
Anyone ever used one, or owned one????
Have never even seen one, or a good picture of one.
Sound interesting.

pworley1
09-15-2022, 07:01 AM
I didn't know they ever made an automatic model. I put the regular mode in a cordless drill and it works well.

schutzen-jager
09-15-2022, 07:02 AM
have Lee catalogs going back to the 70's + never seen an automatic one - the hand one could be used with their case spinner in a electric drill --

abunaitoo
09-15-2022, 02:39 PM
I got an old Lee mini catalog from a member here.
Hate it when there are no dates in catalogs.
It had a Lee automatic primer pocket cleaner.
Picture is small, and doesn't show much of it.
Says it works like a Yankee drill.
I'm guessing you push it, and it spins the pocket cleaner.
Sounds interesting.
First I've ever heard of it.

GWS
09-15-2022, 05:02 PM
I still have them.....I'm old!;) They are like the old "Yankee screw drivers" just push on them and the shaft retracts while spinning and cleaning. (somebody's bound to ask what the green thing is on the right.....just a leg of my rifle rest.) One's for small primer pockets....the other for large. Circa around 1975

https://i.postimg.cc/Hk5rtJZj/IMG-0908.jpg

Like most things Lee, automatic as long as you provide the "motor.";)

Walter Laich
09-15-2022, 05:09 PM
that green thing looks like the last hot dog I ate. Found it way back in the ice box

GWS
09-15-2022, 05:21 PM
that green thing looks like the last hot dog I ate. Found it way back in the ice box:) Yup that's why I added that line.......and you lived through that?;) They make people tuff in Texas!

G W Wade
09-15-2022, 06:11 PM
Still have one. Used it alot. Cutter rounds off after a while, but did a good job GW

WJP
09-15-2022, 07:33 PM
I've got a couple of those somewhere. Never tried them out though.

abunaitoo
09-15-2022, 08:55 PM
I knew someone here would have them.
Looks interesting.
Anyone have a couple that they might be looking to let go????
I like old tools.

deces
09-16-2022, 11:19 PM
They pop up on ebay from time to time. They are pretty neat, Mr Lee was innovative for sure.

abunaitoo
09-16-2022, 11:24 PM
I'll keep on eye open for them.

deces
09-16-2022, 11:38 PM
I'll keep on eye open for them.

That could be a long wait, you could simply get a Yankee screw driver, as mentioned above and get a couple of inserts like these.

https://kmshooting.com/product/premium-carbide-primer-pocket-correction-tool-selector/

abunaitoo
09-19-2022, 11:04 PM
I still have a few of Yankee screw drives.
Different sizes.
Still use them from time to time.
Also have a few Yankee drills.
Those get used more.

oley55
09-21-2022, 03:00 PM
I still have a few of Yankee screw drives.
Different sizes.
Still use them from time to time.
Also have a few Yankee drills.
Those get used more.

good to have on hand in preparation for the inevitable lithium battery shortages sure to occur.

myg30
09-21-2022, 04:38 PM
Are y’all referring to the “Pull string” model. Didn’t they call that auto ? Also chamfer n debur or am I totally screwed up ?
Save me please.

Mike

bedbugbilly
09-22-2022, 07:19 AM
Wow . . . Lee discovered a new way to build a box . . . . wonder how many slipped with those and put the tool bit into their hand?

I guess you could jam one in each end of a cob of sweet corn to use for handles while you eat it? :-)

Three44s
09-22-2022, 10:36 AM
A different thought: Get a zip trim and figure how to mount a pocket cleaner to the spindle.

I have two and one stays set up with the universal chuck for grabbing case heads. I have used a spent casing as a base for making up different tools such as a primer pocket cutter. A cleaner tool would be no great shakes.

They are discontinued as well but much later on the time line and more of them are floating around.

I call mine my “Briggs and Straton”.

Three44s

deces
09-22-2022, 03:28 PM
A different thought: Get a zip trim and figure how to mount a pocket cleaner to the spindle.

I have two and one stays set up with the universal chuck for grabbing case heads. I have used a spent casing as a base for making up different tools such as a primer pocket cutter. A cleaner tool would be no great shakes.

They are discontinued as well but much later on the time line and more of them are floating around.

I call mine my “Briggs and Straton”.

Three44s

I can't believe they discontinued the Zip-trim. I never had much luck with their 3-jaw chuck, but I did find some 3-d printed lock ring adapters to make tightening cases a cinch for trimming. They really kneecapped that cutter line for themselves. With the mods I actually liked it better than their Quick trim line.

dverna
09-22-2022, 04:58 PM
I still have them.....I'm old!;) They are like the old "Yankee screw drivers" just push on them and the shaft retracts while spinning and cleaning. (somebody's bound to ask what the green thing is on the right.....just a leg of my rifle rest.) One's for small primer pockets....the other for large. Circa around 1975

I am old as dirt too. Got them little "toys" decades ago.

abunaitoo
09-22-2022, 11:05 PM
I still have my Lee Zip-trim.
Had to replace the string once.

Three44s
09-23-2022, 01:31 AM
I can't believe they discontinued the Zip-trim. I never had much luck with their 3-jaw chuck, but I did find some 3-d printed lock ring adapters to make tightening cases a cinch for trimming. They really kneecapped that cutter line for themselves. With the mods I actually liked it better than their Quick trim line.

Those three jaw chucks are a bit of a trial alright! A bit of cleaning, a bit of lube and some practice to get the case centered while firmly held in the center can strain one’s patience!

Three44s

Three44s
09-23-2022, 01:37 AM
I still have my Lee Zip-trim.
Had to replace the string once.

Since yo have a zip trim, if you are interested, I can check how I fastened an 8-32 threaded shank tool in a pistol case and PM you or post the answer here.

Three44s

high standard 40
09-23-2022, 06:15 AM

I still have a pair of those. I no longer use them, but I'm keeping them just the same.

deces
09-23-2022, 04:34 PM
Those three jaw chucks are a bit of a trial alright! A bit of cleaning, a bit of lube and some practice to get the case centered while firmly held in the center can strain one’s patience!

Three44s

What I really think it's missing is an allen set screw so the chuck doesn't slip threads and readjusted again the buna O-ring just isn't enough. Easy to do, just never got around to it.

elmacgyver0
09-23-2022, 04:58 PM
I like my zip trim.

Alan in Vermont
10-04-2022, 08:01 PM
Anyone ever used one, or owned one????
Have never even seen one, or a good picture of one.
Sound interesting.

I have one for large primer pockets, wish I had bought a small one when they were available. Mine has seen enough use that it is getting worn out. As has already been mentioned it works like a Yankee Screwdriver

deces
06-14-2023, 06:39 AM

ioon44
06-14-2023, 09:26 AM
I still have one of them somewhere around here, haven't used it in years.

kaiser
06-14-2023, 10:04 AM
I still have the Lee's "Yankee screw driver", as pictured, for when the lights go out. I also have a Lee "Zip Trim", but the spring finally gave out. I thought the Zip Trim was a great invention; however, it was not built strong enough to endure long term use IMO.

GWS
06-17-2023, 01:16 AM
I still have the Lee's "Yankee screw driver", as pictured, for when the lights go out. I also have a Lee "Zip Trim", but the spring finally gave out. I thought the Zip Trim was a great invention; however, it was not built strong enough to endure long term use IMO.

The ones I illustrated in this thread, are not for when the lights go out. One does still work, the other size does not, and hasn't worked for 30 years.....it's the one I used ....was not robust enough and broke after about 6 months. The other I didn't use hardly at all, knowing it also wouldn't last, so I used better lasting tools in my Trim Mate.

deces
06-17-2023, 01:23 AM

You can still get parts for that.
https://leeprecision.com/spring-stainless

deces
06-17-2023, 07:45 PM
I just found this on ebay last night.

JimKirk
06-17-2023, 07:46 PM
I have the "large" size one like in the photo.... they will round over after some use ....a flat file will straighten out the bit end ...

deces
08-21-2023, 06:04 PM
Here is another one on ebay.

abunaitoo
08-24-2023, 01:50 AM
I wonder why these fell out of favor???
Seem like a good tool.

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2023, 05:26 AM
i havent cleaned a primer pocket on any brass for 30 years. waste of time if you ask me

abunaitoo
08-28-2023, 03:08 AM
I won one on evil bay.
Large primer, which is what I use the most.
At least now I'll know how good, or bad, it is.
History has shown that what is old, sometimes is new again.

deces
08-28-2023, 03:20 AM
I won one on evil bay.
Large primer, which is what I use the most.
At least now I'll know how good, or bad, it is.
History has shown that what is old, sometimes is new again.

The spring is kind of heavy, but they work well.

Tom Myers
08-28-2023, 11:51 AM

I've got one too....Somewhere??

abunaitoo
09-01-2023, 12:43 PM
Got it yesterday.
Interesting.
From the pictures, I thought it was round, but it's oval shaped.
The spring is a little stiff, but haven't tried it yet, so might be stiff for a reason.

Charlie Horse
09-02-2023, 10:12 AM
that green thing looks like the last hot dog I ate. Found it way back in the ice box

Waste not, want not.

abunaitoo
09-02-2023, 01:44 PM
Tried it a little.
Seems to work well.
The oval shape fits the hand well.
I like it.