PDA

View Full Version : I was HACKED!

stubshaft
09-13-2022, 06:46 PM
My Castboolit account was recently hacked and from what I understand some unscrupulous people were trying to scam the members here. I want to apologize to everyone here if it has caused you any hardship. I try to protect all of my accounts as best I can, but there are crooks that have nothing better to do than attempt to steal/scam good people.

Joe

contender1
09-13-2022, 09:19 PM
That sux!

I hope you get it cleared up soon!

I got a text yesterday,, that while it could have been a legit potential customer,, the wording was suspect. I checked my records,, and I didn't have any open jobs matching the phone number. I texted back a polite; "I'm sorry,, but who is this please?"
Much later I got a reply that ONLY gave me an email address. I typed a text reply,, and requested they call me as I didn't divulge important info in an email.
No response so far. Likely a scammer trying to get into my email account.

I have several ideas as to what I'd enjoy doing to such criminals,, but can't say them here.

M-Tecs
09-13-2022, 10:23 PM
My Castboolit account was recently hacked and from what I understand some unscrupulous people were trying to scam the members here. I want to apologize to everyone here if it has caused you any hardship. I try to protect all of my accounts as best I can, but there are crooks that have nothing better to do than attempt to steal/scam good people.

Joe

That would be me. The for-sale post was for S&S K-22 Outdoorsman for about 1/3 of the normal price. I posted that I would take it and send a PM but the first red flag was payment was only zelle or venmo. Less than 2 minutes after the "I will take" it I received a PM that no PM was received. Second red flag so I requested to pay by USPS Money order and asked if it was reblue. That would explain the low price.

I received this "I only accept zelle or venmo. Thank you. Sending with Zelle is very simple. I will give you my zelle mail and you will send it." Having done business with you I knew that didn't sound like you so I requested a Mod check the IP address. It was from Europe.

Several more PM's with incorrect details along with the European IP address screamed that you had be hacked.

Nothing lost but me note getting the pictured scam item.

The mods did an excellent job with this and not your fault.

No_1
09-14-2022, 07:23 AM
…….That sux!

I hope you get it cleared up soon! ……….

Hence the reason he is posting again. Once we realized something was up we contacted “Joe” with some basic question he should have been able to answer. When the answers came back goofy we locked down the account then contacted Joe through back channels and once he was able to verify himself we set everything back to the way it was.

Please be careful folks. Check your passwords often and change them if they are common names.

Rob

gwpercle
09-14-2022, 02:26 PM
Hence the reason he is posting again. Once we realized something was up we contacted “Joe” with some basic question he should have been able to answer. When the answers came back goofy we locked down the account then contacted Joe through back channels and once he was able to verify himself we set everything back to the way it was.

Please be careful folks. Check your passwords often and change them if they are common names.

Rob

:goodpost:
You guy's are Awesome Detectives !
Thanks , we members Appreciate it all .
Gary

Smoke4320
09-14-2022, 02:33 PM
yes the Mods dont get enough credit for the the work they do here .. 99% is in the background that the average user never sees

super6
09-14-2022, 02:45 PM
I think its time to change my log in. I just hate having to add yet another log in credential, My book is full! As said you cant be to care full. That is a pain.

super6
09-14-2022, 02:48 PM
yes the Mods dont get enough credit for the the work they do here .. 99% is in the background that the average user never sees

I know all about that! lol. I do respect the work they do.