PDA

View Full Version : Lubing a Lee traditional mini

MontanaS
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I have a Lee traditional mini mold on the way for my 62 richmond. When it comes to lubing the grooves, do you just press your preferred lube into the grooves or is there a lube sizer die for that particular bullet? Also, what is your preferred lube recipe? I have a parrifin, bees wax, and olive oil mixture that i love in my 58 remington

13Echo
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Try pan lubing. It's quite easy. Place the bullets base down in an aluminum or plastic, flat bottom pan about 3/8" apart. Melt the lube in a double boiler and pour it into the pan till all the lube grooves are covered. Let the lube harden till it pulls away from the side of the pan then invert the pan over a relatively thick, folded towel and dump out the lube cake with the bullets. Turn the cake over and place it back on the towel. Push the nose of each bullet to break it loose from the cake then pick up the lube cake and finish pushing the bullets all the way out. The lube grooves will be filled. For lube I tend to avoid parrafin with black powder but others like it. I have used Emmert's (Beeswax, Crisco, and vegetable oil) with and without lanolin replacing part of the oil and it works very well. Half and half Beeswax and olive (canola, corn, peanut, etc) oil is reported to be good.

Jerry Liles

montana_charlie
01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I have a Lee traditional mini mold on the way for my 62 richmond. When it comes to lubing the grooves, do you just press your preferred lube into the grooves or is there a lube sizer die for that particular bullet?
The folks who frequent the Muzzleloading forum ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16) may have more (and better) ideas than us cartridge guys know about...
CM

NickSS
01-31-2009, 04:59 AM
58 cal rifled muskets vary a lot in bore size. I have five of them and they are all slightly different but all are undersized compared to the original muskets. The origunals tended to be about .580 and larger in land diameter. All my European replicas are between .577 and .579 land diameter. Your lee mini should cast about .575" diameter. They will work and also shoot fairly good in a replica rifle. If you want maximum accuracy you want to get a mini mold that will cast a .577 bullet and size to .577. You can get sizing dies from S&S firarms in New York that fit a lyman 450 press. This makes sizing and lubing easy. If you only want to target shoot and plink with your rifle just fill the hollow base with crisco and blast away. I have fired over 200 rounds without cleaning this way and the rifle was shooting as good at the end as at the begining. Just do not let the gun stay loaded for any length of time especially in hot weather.

59sharps
01-31-2009, 11:29 AM
or north east trade co the make push thru that fit a std realoading press
www.northeasttradeco.com

Rifleo
02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
A minni bullet is tapered right? That would be difficult to lube/size wouldn't it?

59sharps
02-04-2009, 01:19 PM
A minni bullet is tapered right? That would be difficult to lube/size wouldn't it?

no they are not tapered. they just have a hollow base.