PDA

View Full Version : Do you have empty SPP or SRP primer trays and empty boxes you could spare?

bbogue1
09-13-2022, 12:23 AM
I have some time on my hands so, I'm learning to reload primers. Tedious, but, very exacting. There are many many formulas to make the powder. Fun to play around with the chemistry. I have even made a primer cup push-through resizer. The only issue I have is storing them safely. In a bag, plastic box or bottle they could rattle around and be dangerous or they could lose the powder inside. I saw a photo of an early primer tray made of wood where the primers sat on their sides in slots, I thought that was interesting. Relatively easy to make. When they are empty I have always just thrown them away so I am in need. Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has the plastic trays and maybe the sleeves for SPP or SRP?

rancher1913
09-13-2022, 07:07 AM
you can 3d print some or drill holes in wooden blocks if you dont find the actual trays. couple of people over on the mewe primer reloading group have printed trays for sale.

Half Dog
09-13-2022, 07:10 AM
Will 209 primer trays work?

lancem
09-13-2022, 07:34 AM
PM me your mailing address.

ioon44
09-13-2022, 08:05 AM
PM me your mailing address, I have been saving my primer trays.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2022, 09:05 AM
PM sent.

Sig
09-13-2022, 09:35 AM
Probably do. Depends on the last time I emptied the trash can in my reloading room. How many are you looking for?

contender1
09-13-2022, 09:37 AM
I too most likely have some in my trash can I could send. If you are still looking,, mine would be WW WSP ones. PM me if needed.

nvbirdman
09-13-2022, 10:28 AM
I have some if you still need any.

MUSTANG
09-13-2022, 10:51 AM
Here is another way to go for those who do not have - or can not get empty Factory Primer Trays:

The plastic trays are from 22LR or 17 HMR plastic trays. In the picture a Large Rifle Primer is in the top Tray; and a Small Rifle Primer is in the bottom tray. A box (Bottom/Top/ and maybe sides) can be fabricated from light weight cardboard or heavy weight paper. Some scotch tape or painters tape to keep it all together. Then write on the Cardboard/Paper what type of primer it is and other info as needed.

wilecoyote
09-13-2022, 11:26 AM
I would not trust in wooden trays/blocks. I would fear some humidity inside them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2022, 12:00 PM
Here is another way to go for those who do not have - or can not get empty Factory Primer Trays:

The plastic trays are from 22LR or 17 HMR plastic trays. In the picture a Large Rifle Primer is in the top Tray; and a Small Rifle Primer is in the bottom tray. A box (Bottom/Top/ and maybe sides) can be fabricated from light weight cardboard or heavy weight paper. Some scotch tape or painters tape to keep it all together. Then write on the Cardboard/Paper what type of primer it is and other info as needed.

Oh yeah, I got scads of those too ;)

bbogue1
09-13-2022, 06:18 PM
Issue solved. Thank you Lancem I'll wait for them to arrive.

bbogue1
09-17-2022, 10:00 PM
Thank you all who replied. Lancem was kind enough to respond and follow through. Good on you Lancem.

quack1
09-19-2022, 07:07 AM
I would not trust in wooden trays/blocks. I would fear some humidity inside them.

Back in the dark ages when I started reloading, primers came from the factory in wooden trays. Don't recall any problems from humidity.
Home made primers might be more susceptible to problems with humidity, though

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-19-2022, 09:40 AM
Back in the dark ages when I started reloading, primers came from the factory in wooden trays. Don't recall any problems from humidity.
Home made primers might be more susceptible to problems with humidity, though

Fun Fact:
Recently (since after the shortage started) I swapped some vintage primers in original wood trays to a friend. They had been casually stored in a non-air conditioned room in the upstairs of my old house (in MN) for many years. MN summers can get incredibly humid. All primers were just fine, in fact if they weren't, he could chime in, as he is a member here.

I think the reasons they quit using slotted wood trays was safety, as well as cost.