PDA

View Full Version : Need Antique Musket Rifle Checklist….

sailcaptain
09-11-2022, 04:04 PM
I recently posted, and received great advice and information regarding a bayonet and rifle matchup. Now I need advice on what books to start reading and how to inspect an antique musket from the 1800’s. (1835/42)
I have black powder experience with my cannons, but not with muskets.
I want to know what to look for and how to access a musket from this era to make sure it’s a safe rifle to shoot.
My friend and I will be heading out to look for a quality musket he can shoot confidently and I don’t want to steer him wrong. And I know we will see all kinds of conditions.
It won’t used be for hunting, at least I think right now, just target and fun shooting. I do know it will be in .69 caliber.
Thank you in advance for your help.

JoeJames
09-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Solely for help in identification my favorite book for that era is Flayderman's Guide to Antique Firearms. For safety I'd say you are better off having a competent gunsmith examine a prospective musket with a borescope, etc. For shooting all in all though you might be better served with a reproduction. I have an original Model 1861 Springfield - Norwich Contract which appears to be in grand condition - bright bore and very little rust externally either. Also have top hat caps, black powder and 58 caliber minie balls - but I don't think I will ever fire it. Well, if the Federals confiscate every thing else - maybe then.

john.k
09-11-2022, 08:03 PM
JJ,if you do fire it,make sure you clean the barrel properly.....preferably with hot water washout.......as you probably know big increases in price for old guns has made yours worth upwards of $2000.

JoeJames
09-12-2022, 09:27 AM
JJ,if you do fire it,make sure you clean the barrel properly.....preferably with hot water washout.......as you probably know big increases in price for old guns has made yours worth upwards of $2000.Truly. I have been messing around with muzzle loaders since the late 60's. This one is close to museum quality - in some respects it honestly looks as though it left the Norwich factory a couple of months ago. The bore is mirror bright. So I was certainly not intending to shoot it. My cousin offered me some op hat caps and mine balls and I hesitated to accept them for that reason. But I kind of experienced a duck walking across my grave sensation and I thought that should it come down to no gun vs. my last gun = the Norwich - I reckoned I'd take them just because of that feeling.