PDA

View Full Version : Stick on W/W

Circuit Rider
09-11-2022, 12:06 PM
Local guy has stick on wheel weights for sale. Tell me if I remember correctly, isn't a lot of the stick on w/w steel instead of lead? Thanks for all reply's. James C.

Winger Ed.
09-11-2022, 12:21 PM
You'd have to look at them to be sure some new fangled stuff isn't in them,
but all the ones I ever saw were more or less pure lead.

If the tape is still on them, you might want to melt them down late at night when no one has their windows open.

Minerat
09-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Take a pair of side cutters with you to test a random sample.

45_Colt
09-11-2022, 03:54 PM
Can also be either steel or zinc. Can't find new lead ones anymore. Note that they should be marked if not lead. The lead ones bend and cut easy. Whereas the steel and zinc ones don't.

45_Colt

lightman
09-11-2022, 06:35 PM
You will need to verify that they are lead. They are also made of Steel, Zinc and some heavy rubber stuff.

MrWolf
09-11-2022, 07:09 PM
You'd have to look at them to be sure some new fangled stuff isn't in them,
but all the ones I ever saw were more or less pure lead.

If the tape is still on them, you might want to melt them down late at night when no one has their windows open.

Just put them in a bucket with your leftover acetone, thinners, etc for a few days. Come out nice and clean and no probs smelting.
Ron

Land Owner
09-12-2022, 04:42 AM
A magnet will tell "right quick" the ones that are steel.

Cast10
09-12-2022, 07:29 AM
I use SOWW’s exclusively to arrive at my melt for 9mm and 10mm. I get them from local shop. 5gal buckets at a time. I sort them as said above; lead, plastic/composite, steel, etc. I use side-cutters/dikes or scratch on concrete. Smelt all lead, with paper, to make ingots. Comes out good to go. I sort COWW and SOWW. I usually get much more SOWW. It works!

gwpercle
09-12-2022, 06:07 PM
Take a pair of side cutters with you to test a random sample.

Take a pair of side cutters and test every dang blamed one of them before you put them in your pot . The last two buckets of COWW I was given didn't have any stick ons in the buckets ... so I'm not sure what stick ons may be now . Some of the Clip ons looked just like soft wheel weights but were zinc or steel ... I had to test every one to get the look-likes out !
Test and be sure ... you don't want Zinkers sneaking in the pot .
Gary

Winger Ed.
09-12-2022, 06:22 PM
Bring the temp. up slowly and the lead will melt first.
Everything else melts at a noticeably higher temperature.
Stir the pot like it owes you money and the zinc & steel will float to the top.

David2011
09-14-2022, 05:01 AM
When I needed SOWW to balance a radio controlled airplane I stopped at a tire store. All of his stick on weights were steel with gray paint on them.

Cast10
09-14-2022, 08:39 AM
This is the best info I’ve found to aide in identifying lead SOWW….

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?139839-Guide-to-Hand-Sorting-Wheel-Weights