PDA

View Full Version : S&W K frame lanyard ring install

TNsailorman
09-08-2022, 08:55 PM
I have a S&W Model 13 with a 3" barrel and today while rumaging through some old pieces I found a lanyard ring that I forgot that I had. I bought several of them many years ago but thought I had sold all of them--but no--one left. Anybody have any idea how much work it would be to install this one on the model 13 and about what would it cost? I do not have the equipment to do so. It will have to be farmed out to someone. Thanks, james [smilie=s:

Mk42gunner
09-08-2022, 09:23 PM
No idea as to cost; but it seems like a simple job, as long as the serial number isn't in the way.

Robert

rintinglen
09-08-2022, 09:29 PM
No idea as to cost; but it seems like a simple job, as long as the serial number isn't in the way.

Robert

And there in lies the rub. Most of the S&W revolvers made after 82 have the serial number nicely centered on the base of the frame, so that you can't add a lanyard ring without getting in dutch with the ATF.

TNsailorman
09-08-2022, 11:40 PM
As always, you guys are right. I just had not thought this through before I pulled the grips off and sure enough, there is the serial number on the bottom of the butt where the ring would go. I have had several older S&W's in the past that had lanyard rings and kinda liked the looks. At least 3 1917's and at least one 1950 .45acp that had the ring in it. It would have eventually dawned on the old grey matter but thanks for the reminder fellows. james

StrawHat
09-10-2022, 08:44 PM
At some point S&W started printing the serial number in the yoke cut, in addition to the serial on the butt of the grip frame. By law, the serial number must be on the frame of the revolver. If yours has the serial in the yoke, you should be good to go.

Kevin

Outpost75
09-10-2022, 10:56 PM
Use Hogue Monogrip with Uncle Mike's stud in butt with 3/8" split ring.