PDA

View Full Version : Dillon die parts?

rockrat
09-07-2022, 04:32 PM
Broke a depriming pin. Have to get the whole lower part, not just a pin like lyman or rcbs. Does anyone make a replacement piece to replace the depriming pin as Dillon calls it, that uses a regular replaceable headed pin? Its for a 223 die.

Thanks

oley55
09-07-2022, 05:46 PM
https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000234 I'm guessing you are looking for something cheaper than this?

Pipefitter
09-07-2022, 06:51 PM
Call Dillon and you will probably get one for free.

rancher1913
09-07-2022, 08:09 PM
just switch over to FWARMS popper decaper, not cheep, but works a lot better.

rockrat
09-07-2022, 09:40 PM
Don't mind buying one from Dillon, just hate to pay $18 shipping for an $8 part

15meter
09-07-2022, 09:50 PM
I don't remember paying shipping on Dillon replacement parts.

Mis-rembering? Or has their policy changed?

j4570
09-07-2022, 10:44 PM
I don't remember paying shipping on Dillon replacement parts.

Mis-rembering? Or has their policy changed?

The one thing I’ve had a problem with Dillion. They will NOT warranty their decapping pins. Since the 90s or early 2000s. Bought an RCBS universal decapper and never looked back for military brass.

I even emailed them asking to take it back and give money back. Crickets. I have three Dillon presses and
Love them. Only one set of Dillon dies. This is why.

I got the same run around.

Dave W.
09-07-2022, 10:54 PM
If Dillon not warrantying their decapping pins is the worst thing a person can say about the company, life is good.

I order a couple extra whenever I place an order for something else. In my humble opinion Dillon dies are the best.

But, what do I know. :razz:

sigep1764
09-07-2022, 11:35 PM
Maybe order a couple pins and ask for replacement tips for the primer tubes. You will need them eventually. Saves you shipping on two different orders.

JimB..
09-08-2022, 03:39 AM

Yeah, I hate their shipping price structure. I’ve tried to get them to ship me things for free because they are already shipping out warranty parts, but they don’t work like that. Used to have a local dealer, but no more.

jmorris
09-08-2022, 09:27 AM

https://www.ebay.com/p/1524530927

j4570
09-08-2022, 08:17 PM
J Morris,

That’s why I converted my Dillon die to take RCBS pins. Can’t remember how I did it but I did. Gave it to a friend that still uses it. I use an RCBS universal now.

As for the person that said that’s the worst thing, I’ve never read where Dillon disclosed this warranty disclaimer so I felt it’s misleading. I know the 1050 doesn’t have a warranty but they should be more upfront about their universal decapping die considering cost of their pins. You can buy 50-100 pins for an RCBS for the cost of a single Dillon pin.

jmorris
09-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I didn’t learn the “no bs” didn’t cover dies until I wore out my first Carbide .223 die (luckily without breaking a decapping pin). They did say I had gotten average life out of it though (120k rounds). The little suckers are not cheap but I do like them, so I did cough of the cash for another, I don’t run through as much ammo these days so this one may last me to the end.

rancher1913
09-09-2022, 10:32 AM
thanks for that little tidbit jmorris, guess i had better stock a few extra dies now that i automated my 1050

GWS
09-09-2022, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I didn’t learn the “no bs” didn’t cover dies until I wore out my first Carbide .223 die (luckily without breaking a decapping pin). They did say I had gotten average life out of it though (120k rounds). The little suckers are not cheap but I do like them, so I did cough of the cash for another, I don’t run through as much ammo these days so this one may last me to the end.

120,000 rounds before you fed a case with an off-center primer hole? (or Berden case?) Average? I'd say that average is more than acceptable. ;) If Dillon is talking about die wear.....still, that's a lot of rounds.

From the "cheap" seats, I've just used Lee's universal deprimer.....it slides if it meets Berden. No not a perfect solution. I had to "sand" the pin spinning in a drill to make it less slidable....and I've never deprimed 120K rounds....more like 10K. :) I prefer to remove the pins from my sizers these days....since I deprime and wet tumble first. Bling is addictive....trumps speed for me.

Baltimoreed
09-09-2022, 12:57 PM
RCBS carbide dies are the best imo. Dillon 550b press is super.

JimB..
09-09-2022, 04:02 PM
120k is more than a few, but with lubed brass I would have expected far more. I do have a carbide set, got it in a trade, but haven’t worn out the steel set yet.

sigep1764
09-09-2022, 04:57 PM
I’ve got maybe 10k through my Dillon Carbide 223 die to date. Original pin. I did replace the pin in my 9mm carbide die. It hit 4 Berdan cases in one day, the fourth killed it. I now have spares that I ordered when I wanted a couple accessories.

deltaenterprizes
09-10-2022, 01:01 AM
https://www.ebay.com/p/1524530927

Thanks for the tip!

deltaenterprizes
09-10-2022, 01:09 AM
RCBS carbide dies are the best imo. Dillon 550b press is super.

And they have a lifetime warranty!

jmorris
09-10-2022, 08:35 AM
120,000 rounds before you fed a case with an off-center primer hole? (or Berden case?) Average? I'd say that average is more than acceptable. ;) If Dillon is talking about die wear.....still, that's a lot of rounds.

It takes more than an obstruction, it also requires force. I learned many years ago to not force things that do not feel right. I also have avoided setting off any primers while seating them using the same methodology.

And yes, that is a lot of rounds. To put that into perspective that’s almost 430 pounds of powder that is literally money burned, makes a $140 die a bargain.

renoce
09-17-2022, 08:03 AM
I have to say that I was surprised when I broke the decapping pin of a dillion sizing die recently. I did not notice any extra pressure. I tried to find replacement pins on the website and found them or what appears to be them but agree I am not spending as much or more for $8.10 worth of pins on shipping. So I switched to a Lee universal decapping die and kept going. I do like universal decapping dies.
I thought about calling Dillion but decided against it. I wondered if the Lyman pins would fit but they look to short.

derek45
09-17-2022, 10:51 AM
I'd call DILLON and see if they send one.

dogrunner
09-17-2022, 01:59 PM
Dillon may not be perfect, but they are sure good to deal with. Last week I damaged the cartridge plate loading .30 C..........long story short, Lee's factory crimp die chipped the teeth in that plate, rendering it inoperapable......my fault I know!......Called Dillon and told that sad tale, sent the old plate in on Dillon's dime and had a replacement NINE DAY'S later. Dunno 'bout decapping pins as I've never been able to break one of theirs as opposed to Lyman/RCBS and others. Yeah, they did opt out of electronics warranty.....after offering replacements for items bought when that warranty was effective...they replaced my 2000 directly but I sure can't bitch about all the other small items that were free of charge, including powder hoppers!

G W Wade
09-17-2022, 03:19 PM
Have you tried Anazon. Lots od Dillon parts available and many free ship. Ordered decap pins there. Made mistake of putting gravel on my range. Even after tumbling I broke 5 pins 1 week GW

G W Wade
09-17-2022, 03:20 PM
Have you tried Amazon. Lots od Dillon parts available and many free ship. Ordered decap pins there. Made mistake of putting gravel on my range. Even after tumbling I broke 5 pins 1 week GW

jetinteriorguy
09-19-2022, 12:18 PM
Dillon warranted the broken pin on the universal decapping die I had, sort of. They sent me the wrong pin and rather than mess with it I just replaced it with the Lee universal decapping die.