PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else going back to mechanical scales?

dogdoc
09-05-2022, 10:43 PM
I have been reloading for over 40 years. Started with Lyman and Rcbs ohaus scales then progressed in the early 1990s to electronic scales. I have had multiple brands of electronic over the years which now includes Dillon and Rcbs charge master. In the last year or so I positioned an Rcbs 505 mechanical scale at eye level on a shelf above my multiple presses. I no longer have to wait for the scale to warm up. I no longer get unexplained drift. I no longer have small wind currents reeking havoc on my readings. I have not missed the electronic ones at all for setting my powder measures on my Dillon presses. For what I am doing I do not think it slows me down at all. I load mainly handgun but if I am loading hunting rifle loads I will use my charge master as it automatically dispenses each charge but other than that I have gone back to my roots and prefer my mechanical scales. I may be weird but anybody else like mechanical scales better for a lot of handloading task?

Dogdoc

Budzilla 19
09-05-2022, 10:54 PM
All I’ve ever used in 50+ Years of reloading. Just never saw a need to get into the electronic game. But, that’s just me.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-05-2022, 11:01 PM
Never used anything but RCBS 505 scales.

DG

M-Tecs
09-05-2022, 11:13 PM
I have and have a variety of both. For mechanical I have a RSBS 304, 1010 and a 505 but they mostly collect dust. For electronic I have had a Dillon and RCBS. I had drift issues with both. I currently mostly use and love my Denver Instrument MXX-123.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/denver-instrument-mxx-123-test/

It is more accurate and repeatable than my balance-beam scales. Quicker also.

wilecoyote
09-05-2022, 11:24 PM
chargemaster for huge qty._
505 and ohaus for all the rest

hoodat
09-06-2022, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty much back to low-tech. jd

Winger Ed.
09-06-2022, 02:15 AM
All I'd ever used was a beam scale until when I got back into reloading,
a electronic one came in the press as part of the 'starter kit'.

It did OK, until it didn't.
After it lied to me a second time, it went in the trash.

Wal'
09-06-2022, 02:31 AM
My original was an RCBS 502 forty-odd years back, I tried a couple of the electronics, but they had issues, still using the original........no issues.

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2022, 02:56 AM
I’ve considered going back to a beam scale since I started loosing confidence in my electronic ones. I still think the electronic ones are easier to use, but aren’t as accurate as mechanical.

414gates
09-06-2022, 03:10 AM
I tried to use my 10-10 to trickle charges for rifle, but I prefer to measure to 0.1 grains, and the scale doesn't respond well enough to 0.1 grain changes in the pan.

I also tried an old Pacific and a Lee. I bought the Lee for an experiment - replacing the magnets in the body with neodynium squares. Instead of the infinite oscillation, it settles in one second. But also not suitable for trickling up by 0.1 grain.

I just keep the mechanical scales as backups.

09-06-2022, 07:07 AM
I never went electric. They drift too much to suit me. I use an RCBS 505 beam scale.

Half Dog
09-06-2022, 07:18 AM
I seem to be saying the same thing about many things these days. I believe the younger crowd grew up with and are accustomed to annoyances that I prefer not to deal with.

schutzen-jager
09-06-2022, 07:23 AM
never even thought of switching away from the mechanical type electronics are great till power source disappears -

brokeasajoke
09-06-2022, 07:33 AM
Yes I know it was high but I love my A&D FX120i. For quick stuff I use a Frankford pocket scale the works well as long as I keep an eye on drift but for $20 I'm happy. I know how much the pan weighs and keep an eye on the reading when I lift it off. Other than that a tuned 10-10. Had a 505 and it disappeared 2 years ago when I loaned to a friend. Friendship worth more than the scale so I'm not worrying about it.

FISH4BUGS
09-06-2022, 07:47 AM
All I’ve ever used in 50+ Years of reloading. Just never saw a need to get into the electronic game. But, that’s just me.

Same here. I have had the same RCBS scale for 40 years.

lotech
09-06-2022, 07:55 AM
I tried the electronic scales once and found that trading reliability and accuracy of weight measurement for speed and alleged "convenience" didn't make much sense, especially with the electronic scales that are in the price range most handloaders would pay. If someone wants a good electronic scale, it will likely be expensive.

hc18flyer
09-06-2022, 07:56 AM
304129 (pic shows older scale)
I used a couple small electronics and then had an older M-5 balance scale 'tuned,' and use that almost exclusively.
I bent a simple sheet metal shelf to position my smart phone at the right height to read the balance on my Lyman M-5 scale. Downloaded a free magnifying software program, and it is much easier to read. You also don't have to have the scale up so high. hc18flyer

sailcaptain
09-06-2022, 08:07 AM
Never used anything but a mechanical scale. I’m hands on, low tech and love it. I make “bullets” for the need. It takes me away.
Go hands on and craft your boolits.

dale2242
09-06-2022, 08:23 AM
I love my Hornady electronic scales.
At 80 years old I don't think I qualify as the younger crowd.
I have been loading for 60 years and use my mechanical scales as backup.

toallmy
09-06-2022, 08:58 AM
I have never felt the need to replace my mechanical powder scale . I comfortably drop the charges in the pan and trickle up for weighing charges , test my powder dispensers ,& bushings with ease .
I have used a few electronic scales but I didn't really feel they were faster or more accurate except for a small electronic scale I use to weigh shot bushings charges .

Hickok
09-06-2022, 09:13 AM
Still using an old brown Herter's scale from the late 60's that my dad gave me when I was a teenager.:grin:

Froogal
09-06-2022, 09:23 AM
I have a mis-trust of anything electronic, and since this whole shooting, casting, and reloading thing is of an "old school" attitude, why bring the annoyances of modern electronics into what is a simple, very enjoyable past time?

oley55
09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
I too have my mechanical scale mounted in an antique DuPont powder box at eye level behind my press/s. The box still allows me to have a small fan moving a little air without affecting the scale in my unconditioned garage/loading area. I mostly use my RCBS 10/10 or a 505 and they react to the drop of a single kernel of Varget. If a beam scale can't measure to 10ths of a grain there is something wrong that needs attention.

For many years I used a Redding #2 and didn't realize it wasn't working right. It was accurate but that dang thing seems to bounce nearly as much as an undampened scale. Got hold of a used RCBS scale and bounce difference was amazing. No doubt the Redding needs new magnets or something, but haven't bothered messing with it.

BUT I gotta say, weight sorting cast boolits on a beam scale is torture at best. So a reasonably priced electronic scale for sorting is dang handy piece of equipment to have around.

dverna
09-06-2022, 11:27 AM
I do not find the electronic scales annoying and for some reason they have worked for me. I keep my mechanical scales for backup and in case the SHTF.

Most of my reloading is with progressives so I check drops every 100 rounds or so. And with the Powder Check dies on the 1050 tool heads I rarely check drops once dialed in.

The Chargemaster does the rifle loads.

I could survive with mechanical scales only but prefer not to. I think the Chargemaster must be 20 years old. If/when it craps out, I will get another one. Can't take the money with me.

Retumbo
09-06-2022, 11:55 AM
I use my electronic scales to verify my mechanical scale.

Have modified my beam scale to trigger my home made trickler

https://youtu.be/dRXg9Q4cTp8

pworley1
09-06-2022, 12:13 PM
I have tried three different electronic scales but none of them ever made me replace my 10-10 with them.

Scrounge
09-06-2022, 12:17 PM
I have been reloading for over 40 years. Started with Lyman and Rcbs ohaus scales then progressed in the early 1990s to electronic scales. I have had multiple brands of electronic over the years which now includes Dillon and Rcbs charge master. In the last year or so I positioned an Rcbs 505 mechanical scale at eye level on a shelf above my multiple presses. I no longer have to wait for the scale to warm up. I no longer get unexplained drift. I no longer have small wind currents reeking havoc on my readings. I have not missed the electronic ones at all for setting my powder measures on my Dillon presses. For what I am doing I do not think it slows me down at all. I load mainly handgun but if I am loading hunting rifle loads I will use my charge master as it automatically dispenses each charge but other than that I have gone back to my roots and prefer my mechanical scales. I may be weird but anybody else like mechanical scales better for a lot of handloading task?

Dogdoc

Never left. I've been playing with computers since 1978. I think they're great toys, but still not ready for prime time. Mechanical scales are thoroughly understood technology, and as long as you don't mess them up, they will continue to work as close to forever as makes no difference. If you want truly accurate measurements with a mechanical scale, you do still need to protect them from stray wind currents. I made my first cover for a beam balance scale in 1973. Maybe if I were doing a lot of shooting, I might want to get into computer-controlled scales, and progressive presses and such, but I weigh every load as a matter of course. I do not get over or underloaded cartridges this way.

Bill

mdi
09-06-2022, 12:55 PM
I never left beam scales, but I've had digital scales, 3 of them that were inconsistent and one died an early death. Lee Safety Scale, RCBS 501, Lyman/Ohaus D5 currently used and all are accurate and repeatable. Often, and always during a load work up I weight every charge. Not slow when I use a good powder measure; Lee Perfect Powder Measure or a C-H 502...

jsizemore
09-06-2022, 01:18 PM
I use a Denver Instruments MXX-123 when I'm at the max charge and to check the others. Got a 10-10 and RCBS powder pro for sub-max loads. The MXX-123 reduces extreme spread and standard deviation.

fredj338
09-06-2022, 03:11 PM
I have beam scales & a Dillon. The beam scales are for when the Dillon craps out, but tis still going strong. Cheaper scales, yeah not so much. I have tried Lyman, Hornady, FA, all crap for the ones under $100.

stubshaft
09-06-2022, 03:36 PM
I got my first scale when I was eight years old (57 years ago) it was an Ohaus 1005 and it is still going strong. I've tried the digital scales and STILL prefer my old Ohaus.

Bird
09-06-2022, 05:18 PM
I use them both, but always use the beam scale first to check the electronic scale, and powder thrower.
For rifle cartridges, I check every 10th round.

45_Colt
09-06-2022, 05:32 PM
This is a killer thread. Not sure if I can add much to it. But I've been using an Ohaus 505 for quite some time. Did have an issue with it not long ago. The magnetic damping system picked up some very fine steel particles. Nearly invisible to the naked eye.

Made a mess of measurements/dampening until I figured it out.

Since most reloading is done on a Dillon, once the power bar is set, good to go.

However, I have been keeping my ear to the ground on a decent electronic scale. It will be good/required to have in the near future.

45_Colt

gwpercle
09-06-2022, 05:33 PM
Still using an old brown Herter's scale from the late 60's that my dad gave me when I was a teenager.:grin:

:goodpost:
LIKE !
Gary

Carrier
09-06-2022, 06:02 PM
I love my Hornady electronic scales.
At 80 years old I don't think I qualify as the younger crowd.
I have been loading for 60 years and use my mechanical scales as backup.

I have a Hornady LNL bench scale that has worked really well the last 6 or so years. I collect older mechanical scales and the Hornady is every as bit as accurate as they are.

charlie b
09-06-2022, 06:14 PM
So, over 40 years reloading and I abandoned a beam scale 20 years ago. The past few years I have moved to a Lyman automatic for my rifle loads. For pistols I still use a Lee disk measure on the press just for speed and weigh every 10th or 20th charge.

I haven't been happier. I do have to admit that I hated trickling charges and waiting for a mechanical scale to settle.

Weight sorting bullets is also a reasonable thing to do with an electronic scale.

But, I like technology. Moving to a Labradar was also a great investment.

Hahndorf1874
09-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Have used a Redding beam for 40+ yrs, use Lyman Electronic for weighing bullets,I use various cut down cases as dippers and a CH trickler, works a treat.

405grain
09-06-2022, 06:52 PM
I've got nothing against an electronic scale, but have never felt the need to use one. I've been using the same RCBS 505 scale for over 40 years and it works fine.

salpal48
09-06-2022, 08:14 PM
I have alway Use only One scale Ohaus Dial O grain. the first scale, the last scale & the best scale.

Mk42gunner
09-06-2022, 08:52 PM
I never left beam scales; although if I were to start weight sorting boolits, an electronic scale would quickly become a necessity.

I have owned and used the Ohaus RCBS Models 502,505,510 (my favorite), 1010 and the Lyman version of the 1010. My current scale is the Lyman D5. I also have one of the Lee scales, it works but is a royal PITA for me to set.

When I was still living on board ships or in the barracks and loading at friends houses, I used a variety of others, Dillon Hornady and maybe a Redding.

One thing that I am a believer in is having and using a set of check weights.

Robert

dogdoc
09-06-2022, 09:16 PM
Glad to know I am not alone! I agree there are some uses the electronic scales alone excel at but for checking my powder measures on my Dillon presses beam scales are the the cats meow

Gtek
09-06-2022, 09:18 PM
Still using but will admit to dropping on digital on way to case, two times same number feels better. Those fast powders with little numbers gets me really focused, seen photos and heard too much over the years of the KABOOM stories.

reedap1
09-06-2022, 09:32 PM
My experience:

I like many here have been reloading a very long time. I only ever used balance beam scales despite being a retired scientist and using electronic laboratory grade scales most of my life. I resisted buying one of the electronic reloading scales until about a year ago when I bought a NIB RCBS 1500 on an auction site for $75.

I played with it for a number of months testing it, learning that I could reprogram it to make it run faster, but in every case checked each charge against my tried and proven Ohaus balance beam. I have a precision set of check weights and the Ohaus never lied to me. Always when I was using the RCBS 1500 I had elements of doubt in each charge in nearly every case I would use the RCBS, check the charge on my Ohaus and dispense it to the case..lots of wasted time and I still have my doubts that it is faster. I'm willing to bet that most reloaders who use electronic scales do not use a check weight procedure (not calibration) that we were so accustomed to doing in the lab. IMO if you do not routinely check your equipment for accuracy you have created doubt and in some cases dangerous reloading practices.

Just today, for example, weighing a hefty charge of 102 grains of H4831 for my 416 Rigby, I had an experience that contributed to my doubts on the electronic scales. I had the scale on for a few hours, filled the hopper with powder, and calibrated it. During my first dispensing charge I checked it on my Ohaus and found it to be significantly overcharged, I estimate probably at least 1-2 grains for the speed it moved the balance, despite the RCBS telling me the charge was 102.0 grains! If I had not checked this charge I would most likely not have noticed it even though I individually examine each case for powder levels before bullet seating and would have had an overcharge. So to answer DogDoc's original question-yes and I am moving back to balance beams for most of my reloading.

There is, however, one big benefit to the electronic scales and that can be exemplified by loading very large charges of powder...many powder measures won't throw very large charges, say over 90.0 grains well or have to be thrown in two steps which increases the potential for error. I now use the RCBS to dispense about 0.5 grains under my target and then trickle up on my balance beam. I realize loading such large charges is not common, but it is useful when you are doing that say for my 470 Nitro and throwing charges in the 115 to 121-grain range. I even use it as an "electronic trickler" for all my test loading where I am loading increasing charges for accuracy tests.

Sorry for the long-winded answer and response, but I'm glad that DogDoc brought it up...will be interesting to see the experiences.

Thanks
Paul

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2022, 11:05 PM
I took a chance and bought my thirty year old son a wrist watch for his birthday. He had never had one before. He loves it! Now he doesn’t have to get out his phone to know what time it is, or carry his phone when jogging. Sometimes simple is better.

Jack Stanley
09-07-2022, 08:44 AM
I tried the electric scales when the hit the market and was not impressed . The balance beam has never let me down .

Jack

John Guedry
09-07-2022, 08:54 AM
My electronic scale never worked well even after a trip back to the "mother ship". R.I.P.

30calflash
09-07-2022, 09:00 AM
I noticed the drift early on so I don't use it for weighing powder, only heads and cases.

murf205
09-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Well dogdoc, funny you should ask. Yesterday I was loading some 9mm with Accurate #5 and adjusted the measure to throw 5 grs. Weighed it on my RCBS electronic scale and proceeded to charge 50 of those and left the 5gr charge in the scale pan on the scale. After charging about 40 cases I looked at the scale and it read 5.3, so I stopped and weighed that charge on my Redding scale and it read 5 gr exactly. I placed the charge back on the electronic scale and it read 5 grs again. I threw another 5gr charge(as per Redding ) and set it on the elect scale and it read 5 gr. After about 4 or 5 min, the scale drifted up to 5.4! No fan or breeze or my breath either. This RCBS elect scale has been pretty solid in the past and I would'nt normally let a charge sit on the scale that long but I'm going to check it more closely now and when I load a small case with a relatively fast powder, I will use the Redding beam scale.

MT Gianni
09-07-2022, 04:46 PM
I bought a Lyman powder dispensing system in 2003. I bought an upgrade kit about 2005. If it died tomorrow I would have a replacement ordered by the end of the day.
I verify every 10th charge once it is set, just as with any mechanical powder dispenser. I resize and prime on a turret press, dump powder and push the reset, add a bullet and seat. The buzzer goes off letting me know the charge is ready long before I have the next cartridge ready to prime. It isn't a progressive, I watch ever process. It gives me exact measures with hard to measure flake powders. I would not want a scale alone but love a digital measuring system.

unique
09-07-2022, 07:59 PM
If a choice exists between a mechanical device or an electronic device, I will pick the mechanical device. My reloading scale is mechanical, so is my wrist watch, I even have a rotary telephone... well you get the idea.

BTW I am an electronic design engineer by profession. I know too much what can go wrong. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

todd9.3x57
09-07-2022, 08:21 PM
i have two beam balance scales that i only use once in a while, mostly to check up on the electronic scale, which i love!!!! it has been 12 - 13 years that i used the balance scale.

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-lock-n-load-auto-charge-powder-dispenser-1000-gr.html

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Bigslug
09-07-2022, 08:42 PM
The only thing that will ever get me to go back to a balance beam scale will be the literal, powered-down end of the world.

David2011
09-07-2022, 09:31 PM
I was introduced to balance beam scales in high school chemistry with one that would weigh a pencil mark on filter paper. My first reloading scale was a 5-0-5. My first experience with electronic scales was a Frankford Arsenal “cheap” digital. It’s fine for weighing boolits but useless for trickling a powder charge. For a long time I’ve had a 5-0-5 on the single stage bench and another on the progressive bench. After a friend had been using my reloading room and keeping his Charge Master in it, I really missed the CM when he got another reloading room and took it home. I ended up getting one for myself. It’s as accurate as a 5-0-5 every time I check it.

Use an electronic scale to check my balance beams? Not a chance! It doesn’t work that way unless the electronic one is truly laboratory grade. I’ll still trust a balance beam more in general, though.

Mal Paso
09-08-2022, 09:53 AM
I've never had an electronic scale that was problem free and RCBS 505s have loaded all my ammo.

About 5 years in I bought check weights. Waste of money. The 505 was spot on.

I would like to get an electronic scale for weighing bullets but have been burned several times. The current electronic will run the batteries down when OFF.

Bmi48219
09-08-2022, 11:01 AM
Barring abuse, a good mechanical scale will last a lifetime, or longer. I don’t believe the same is true with electronic scales. I think the reliability and life of a tool decreases inversely to the number of parts it contains.

robg
09-08-2022, 11:50 AM
still use my lyman

todd9.3x57
09-08-2022, 01:15 PM
dang that electric scale!!!!!

9.3x57 with 280gr RG GC (left, 5 shots/100 yards)
https://i.imgur.com/bFF9F2J.jpg

9.3x57 with 275gr WFN GC (left, 5 shots/100 yards)
https://i.imgur.com/fbHYQHz.jpg

270 win with 130gr Nosler BT (left, 4 shots/100 yards)
https://i.imgur.com/iHeWUMa.jpg?1

270 win with 140gr Hornady SST
https://i.imgur.com/GqVfvNN.jpg

35/30-30 with 200gr RCBS FN GC (sighting it in, 2 shots at 100 yards)
https://i.imgur.com/nBFtFB6.jpg

30-40 Krag with 165gr Ranch Dogs and open sights (7 - 10 shots are the group at 100 yards/ 1 - 6 shots are the sighters)
https://i.imgur.com/LG8vMD3.jpg

well, they are good enuff fer deer, so.........

beam balance is good, heck i'll even say great. i used them for very accurate "handloads" in my 20 Vartarg ( .2" at 100 yards, with a .1" group once in a while). then i got tired of my brass werk(trimming to exactly the same, neck reaming, pocket reaming, weighing the bullets......) and now i do "sloppy" reloads, 1/2" +/- at 100 yards/5 shots with an electronic scale/powder dispenser. i'll check it against my beam balance once in while, but the electronic scale is right on with beam balance. that electronic scale could break tomorrow and i will buy another one.

ChuckJaxFL
09-08-2022, 01:18 PM
I’ve never used a mechanical scale. I’ve been a shooter since the early 80’s, but only started reloading around 2000.

I’ve only had one bad electronic scale, which was an expensive one. I have a Gen6 Lyman on which the scale is perfect through my range of check weights.

Oddly, my favorite one is a $20 wonder off of Amazon that suffers none of the issues that are described above.

But, to answer the actual question the OP asked, I actually am looking to add a 505 or a 1010 to the bench in the near future, just because I think they’re cool and I’d like to own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddydogs
09-08-2022, 04:19 PM
Back when I was using my Dad's reloading gear it was a mechanical scale and I just hated how slow it was. 30 some years ago when I purchased my own equipment I purchased an RCBS digital scale that I still use to this day, I don't even own a mechanical scale. Never had a problem with my scale, it always reads the check weights right and hasn't let me down in over 40,000 reloads.

charlie b
09-08-2022, 06:36 PM
If a choice exists between a mechanical device or an electronic device, I will pick the mechanical device. My reloading scale is mechanical, so is my wrist watch, I even have a rotary telephone... well you get the idea.

BTW I am an electronic design engineer by profession. I know too much what can go wrong. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

I guess I'm the opposite. Mechanical engineer. I know too much what can go wrong with mechanical scales. So I guess ignorance is indeed bliss ;)

bedbugbilly
09-08-2022, 08:40 PM
+1 to a RCBS 505

I have a very small electronic scale but about all I use it for is to check boolit weights

dannyd
09-08-2022, 10:47 PM
I use both plus a charge master. It all depends on what you like.

Bmi48219
09-09-2022, 01:30 AM
… i used them for very accurate "handloads" in my 20 Vartarg ( .2" at 100 yards, with a .1" group once in a while)…..

We must get our targets from the same place but,
I must be measuring groups wrong. To me shooting a .2” group when the bullet diameter is .2” means all shots went through the same hole. Although I guess if you’re measuring center to center a cloverleaf of three our four overlapping shots could measure .2” center to center.
But how do you get a .1” group with a .2” bullet? Or am I misinterpreting something?
Best I ever did was a 1/2” diameter (outside to outside) three shot group at 150 yards with a 7 mm. Guess I’ve got a ways to go.

Walks
09-09-2022, 01:45 AM
I have 2 magnetic dampening Mechanical scales RCBS 10-10 & Lyman D-7. And one very old Redding oil/reservoir scale. I started out with the old Redding 60yrs ago. Got the RCBS/Ohaus as a gift in 1976, used it ever since. Got an RCBS electronic as a gift about 1992?3 and the Lyman Scale Dispenser when they came out, a few years later. The Lyman setup is great for fast dispensing of rifle charges. Fill the pan and move pan to 10/10 to double check.

Yep that old Redding scale will take forever to steady down, if Ya don't put oil in the paddle reservoir.

Winger Ed.
09-09-2022, 01:45 AM
But how do you get a .1” group with a .2” bullet? Or am I misinterpreting something?

My understanding is that you measure the out side edges of your group, more or less forming forming a circle--
then subtract the boolit diameter.

charlie b
09-09-2022, 08:26 AM
Bullet groups are measured center to center. An easy way to do that is what Ed said above. Measure the outside edges and then subtract one bullet dia.

RobP1
09-09-2022, 08:51 AM
I just picked up a RCBS 5-10 in its original box with original paper work. The scale looks brand new. If it has been used it hasn't been used much. I do have a digital scale but after checking the RCBS with weights it is dead on accurate. I trust the beam scale more than the digital.

Bmi48219
09-09-2022, 09:16 AM
My understanding is that you measure the out side edges of your group, more or less forming forming a circle--
then subtract the boolit diameter.

Wow, I stand corrected! My apologies to todd and everyone else who’s reported tight groups sounded measurably impossible.

Greg S
09-09-2022, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't say going back but picked up a lightly used RCBS 10-10 in a pawn shop to verify. Got an RCBS older auto trickler type and a lab scale accurate to .02 gr for LR.

My previous 510 or 505 made the bed sheets brown when the cat batted it off the work bench and wouldn't re-zero sometime shortly there after.

Having a check weight set is really the key/injury preventer. My original scale after the crash still worked fine but the next use the load of Unique looked alittle too full in the 45 ACP cased. Went to the local Sportman's and picked up a scale check set when I couldn't re-zero the scale.

Harter66
09-09-2022, 01:45 PM
I had my grandfather's Lyman Ohaus M5 when I started my own equipment and used Dad's M5 for 10-15 yr before that .
I own 3 now .
With upwards of 150 yr of off and on service between the 3 and still nailing check weights within my visual acuity and able to resolve around .0125 gr (1 kernel of IMR 4350) I never saw a reason to change .

I've read maybe a ratio of 1 in 7-8 posts saying zero issues , perfect function , 100% accurate 100% of the time , vs drift , lights , electronic fuzz , went nuts , won't hold zero, won't hold tare , I've replaced it every 3 years, etc .
These are just a few of the things that make me go , huh never had that happen , sure hope gravity doesn't give up .

gc45
09-09-2022, 08:48 PM
My fairly pricey electronic scale has been excellent! My RCBS charge master is junk from day one and setting in the shop collecting dust. RCBS refused to fix or sent a new one so, I told them they had sold me their last product and having so much reloading stuff I will not need much and if so, I buy used. Sold off all my progressive stuff, both Dillion and RCBS and now using three older Rock Chuckers on the bench, all bought from gun shows for $25. each. I use them for all my reloading needs and like them.
I used the old style hand held Lee primer for many years but they have replaced it with one I won't buy so when the Lee units quit on me went back to priming with Tubes on the RC press and doing just fine thank you. The new RCBS primer tubes are poor now but the after market ones work well so bought several just in case they stop making them.
For ball powders I use Harrel's measures, and having two one large and one small theyare the very best in drop powder units but for larger grain powders the electronic plus tall trickler with long tube gets'r done.

mainiac
09-09-2022, 08:59 PM
Ive been using a rcbs electric, for years,,aint never goingback to my old 10-10,,if i can help it.

Milky Duck
09-10-2022, 03:04 AM
well I use and are more than happy with the much abused LEE balance beam scales,have done for 30 years,I cannot for life of me see how folks think they are slow or too bouncy..the boucy bit is sensitivity...what you WANT in scales,start light and work your way up slowly.Ive got an OHAUS set but other than for weighing projectiles heavier than 100 grains,the LEE gets the nod.

crackers
09-10-2022, 10:10 PM
An electronic scale? When did that start?

Winger Ed.
09-10-2022, 10:16 PM
An electronic scale? When did that start?

Like powder coating, and plastic pistols, they're just a passing fad.

Thin Man
09-11-2022, 06:53 AM
When I started handloading many years ago the mechanical balance beam scales were all that existed. When the first electronic systems appeared they were more than a bit pricey. Within my budget they still are pricey. Then came the complaints of inaccurate function. I do not want to drop an overload into a case and experience what that would deliver. I am perfectly comfortable with a balance beam scale, thank you very much.

Wag
09-11-2022, 07:51 AM
When I started handloading many years ago the mechanical balance beam scales were all that existed. When the first electronic systems appeared they were more than a bit pricey. Within my budget they still are pricey. Then came the complaints of inaccurate function. I do not want to drop an overload into a case and experience what that would deliver. I am perfectly comfortable with a balance beam scale, thank you very much.

Likewise, Thin Man. Heard way too much about inaccuracies, etc. and never had the cash to buy one all those years ago. Now that I could buy one, I won't. I'd rather buy a new pistol anyway.

--Wag--

ioon44
09-11-2022, 08:13 AM
I never quit using mechanical balance beam scales (RCBS 505), I tried a few electronic scales but never trusted them for powder charges.

toot
09-11-2022, 08:34 AM
60+ yrs. for me, and it is all that I have ever used. never a digital one, never will. if it ain't broke why fix it? the balance beam scale has been around since the time of JESUS.

skeet1
09-11-2022, 08:45 AM
My scale is a Pacific M that I bought new and see no reason to change.

smokeater
09-14-2022, 08:34 PM
I use either my Redding or RCBS beam scale. Like others here, couldn't get consistent results with electric scales plus fluorescent lights would interfere at times. never in a hurry reloading anyway so beam scales suit me just fine plus don't have to stop and go to walmart to buy batteries for them

Tripplebeards
09-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Gave mine away. Should have kept it. I use a chargemaster lite and love it.

Digital Dan
09-14-2022, 09:02 PM
Never left. Hope you fellas using electric scales don’t run out of batteries.

gc45
09-14-2022, 11:30 PM
Digital scales come in several quality levels. Those from the reloading companies can be of lessor quality (my opinion) and a challenge to the reloader, creating a sense of insecurities to the user.

I have two digital scales, the first one is a Dillion, not sure who makes it for them but has been 100% accurate and reliable for years but also requires the use of a trickler which on a digital is a pain. Maybe I got lucky but I would put it's repeatable accuracy up against any 505, 1010 or like scale which are not in reality that accurate but close enough for their intended use while being very easy to use. If being checked by another more sophisticated measure say the medical scale, I have found them to be off be several tenths or more much of the time but again, it works because our loads can be off a few tenths without danger.

My second digital is a medical scale that while being super sensitive is also highly accurate. Before loading, each scale gets a brass weight test, same as we do with the balance beam type.

Next up are those made by Harrel's Precision and perhaps the finest measure out there for the hand loader who does not use heavy course powders. I have personally loaded at least 30 thousand rounds of varmint ammo using my 2 Harrel's and for ball powders they can't be beat. The Harrel is not cheap, but also not a scale that will set in the corner not being used. Their small scale for handgun loads or varmint loads is an excellent measure for small grain charges.

David2011
09-15-2022, 01:25 AM
I guess I'm the opposite. Mechanical engineer. I know too much what can go wrong with mechanical scales. So I guess ignorance is indeed bliss ;)

Care to elaborate? My English teachers might have been kind and given a paper with an unsupported remark like that a “D”. Unless it’s dropped or otherwise physically damaged there is little to fail on a 5-0-5 or 10-10 balance beam scale. Electronic scales are subject to power fluctuations, interference from fluorescent and other types of lighting, radio frequency interference and failures of the display, power supply, strain gauge and electronics. I’m not a mechanical or electronics engineer but have some experience as an electronics hobbyist and 30 years of computer experience. My cousin is a mechanical engineer and understands about 1% of my mechanical skills.

charlie b
09-15-2022, 08:04 AM
Was simply responding in kind to another unsupported statement. :)

The knife edge and 'jewel'. If damaged or worn give less consistent results (and that is a common error issue). Which is why we went to electronic scales in industry many years ago. All of those variables you mention in electronics are compensated for on the chips. Unless you buy a really cheap one they work well.

Yes, I've had cheap ones that don't work well. A frankford arsenal bottom of the line. Not good temp compensation and the 'table' was not set well on the load cell. The Lyman automatic I have works well and has been checked against a much better unit for accuracy and drift.

Mal Paso
09-15-2022, 10:05 AM
The knife edge and 'jewel'. If damaged or worn give less consistent results (and that is a common error issue).

You can see the damage and smoothness of response with a mechanical scale not so with electronics. Also there are at least a hundred more parts to fail. I just sent a new $1100 sensor back when a programming button stuck closed. Can't fix it, it's sealed. KISS

414gates
09-15-2022, 04:58 PM
I'm in the process of fitting neodynium magnets to the inside of my Lee scale.

A previous test showed that with stronger magnets, it settles within a few seconds.

I tested the Lee, and it is more sensitive to single powder kernels than my 10-10. I got an old Pacific M to compare as well, the Lee is also more sensitive than that.

I use a Chargemaster 1500 scale, and it does drift a bit when the room temperature changes.

I want to try a few reload batches measuring powder this way, to see if I can get more consistent ES numbers. I sometimes find that when I repeat a previously low ES load, it's not so low anymore, and the only thing different between batches I'm aware of is the room temperature I weighed the powder at. You probably don't have this problem if your room temperature is maintained constant to the temperature outside.

All electronic scales drift, just the higher end models have a more sensitive strain gauge and better software that picks up the drift and resets the zero automatically.

Jayhawkhuntclub
09-15-2022, 09:59 PM
When my chargemaster lite shot craps, I went back to my 505 and a trickler. I weigh every load and trickle them to the nearest 10th.
I find it faster and less of a hassle. Don't think I'll go back.

charlie b
09-15-2022, 10:54 PM
...All electronic scales drift, just the higher end models have a more sensitive strain gauge and better software that picks up the drift and resets the zero automatically.

That should read that all load cell outputs drift. The rest of the electronics, if designed properly, compensate for that.

I've only tested my Lyman across about 20deg F (inside an air conditioned house) and it shows no drift with temp according to the check weights.

OTOH, the cheap Frankford Arsenal scale did drift with temp, and also with where on the scale the weight was placed. But, I only paid $25 for it :) Either a bad load cell design, poor circuit design, poor mechanical design, or just cheap components that did not operate in spec (or all of the above).

rockshooter
09-16-2022, 01:42 AM
If I need a quick and non-critical weigh, I use the electronic- most used is a RCBS 505.
Loren

414gates
09-16-2022, 02:51 AM
That should read that all load cell outputs drift. The rest of the electronics, if designed properly, compensate for that.

This is probably the reason why Prometheus users say it gives them the best results.

At it's heart, there is a mechanical scale. No load cell to drift. Consistency, summer or winter.

M-Tecs
09-16-2022, 03:18 AM
Next up are those made by Harrel's Precision and perhaps the finest measure out there for the hand loader who does not use heavy course powders. I have personally loaded at least 30 thousand rounds of varmint ammo using my 2 Harrel's and for ball powders they can't be beat. The Harrel is not cheap, but also not a scale that will set in the corner not being used. Their small scale for handgun loads or varmint loads is an excellent measure for small grain charges.

I'm confused. How does a measure turn into a scale?

stubshaft
09-16-2022, 03:53 AM
To tell the truth, I never gave up on mechanicals. I could not find an electric that had any consistency.

414gates
09-16-2022, 04:27 AM
..I went back to my 505 and a trickler. ...I find it faster and less of a hassle. .

This is why I could never justify buying an automatic powder dispenser.

I can throw a charge about grain under, and trickle up in less than half the time it takes any automatic dispenser.

414gates
09-16-2022, 04:32 AM
I'm confused. How does a measure turn into a scale?

I think this refers to dispensing by volume only.

sledgehammer001
09-16-2022, 06:14 AM
I still use my old Redding BR 2 scale. Goes to 505gr which is enough for my needs over the last28 years, and I have a Dillon beam scale for back up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Mal Paso
09-16-2022, 08:37 AM
This is why I could never justify buying an automatic powder dispenser.

I can throw a charge about grain under, and trickle up in less than half the time it takes any automatic dispenser.

I know a guy with 4 Chargemasters in a row all with the same powder so he doesn't have to wait. JAMOM

414gates
09-16-2022, 11:26 AM
I know a guy with 4 Chargemasters in a row all with the same powder so he doesn't have to wait. JAMOM

To me that sounds like checking 4 drifts and potentially correcting 4 over or under charges at one time. And 4 plastic straws.

lightman
09-16-2022, 01:29 PM
I like my digital scale but keep my old original scale around to keep my digital scale honest.

salpal48
09-16-2022, 01:31 PM
I have never used an electronic scale, Tempted several times But relied On only One, Ohaus Dial o Grain. the best does not get better

gliebegott
09-17-2022, 12:05 PM
Seems the old K.I.S.S. term applies to scales also.

Shuz
09-17-2022, 01:35 PM
I have been using an RCBS digital scale for about 30 years.It is checked occassionally with a 22cal bullet that has weighed the same during this time. I leave the scale on all the time except when thunderstorms are in the area and then it's unplugged. When I start it back up I let it warm up for about 10 minutes before I test weigh.
I still have a beam type scale, but I haven't used it in many years.