PDA

View Full Version : Vent Hood

David2011
09-05-2022, 05:35 PM
In post #2508 I have a picture of the vent hood. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12392-Loading-bench-pics/page126

The fan is a bathroom vent fan, purchased more for its sound level (50 cfm, 0.5 sones) than its ability to move air. The sound of fans is very annoying to me. I just tried it out last night for the first time. It’s very quiet, not loud enough to interfere with the radio or tv. No warnings needed about such devices in a reloading room. They’re really easy to turn off.

The first test was melting probably 4 pounds of wax-lubed boolits. That was a harsh test. The fan was mostly successful. A little smoke and odor escaped but not enough to be a problem. The smoke detector didn’t go off. I’ve had my router set the identical detector off in the workshop. Once the lube burned off I added a full load of unlubed boolits. After they fully melted I fluxed with sawdust. It easily extracted the smoke from the sawdust. I never smelled anything. Overall, it does its job well and I’m happy with it.

Winger Ed.
09-05-2022, 05:39 PM
Sounds good, and it seems it'd be safe to use and not have to worry about harmful fumes.

wilecoyote
09-05-2022, 06:25 PM
I'm doing a similar experiment with a hand dryer.
eliminated the resistance that supplies hot air, added a corrugated pipe that goes outside, and now I have to build a support that keeps the box above the fumes. I hope it works ...

09-05-2022, 07:35 PM
I found a kitchen hood on the roadside and made a chemical hood from it. Raised it to my working level and gave it 3 sides, down to the table top. Works good. Ran a vent pipe outside and it seems to be keeping me healthy.

tja6435
09-05-2022, 07:41 PM
I used a 5 gallon bucket, 4” dryer duct and a 4” blower to vent my pot when I lived in Denver

David2011
09-06-2022, 02:36 AM
I think most of the contributors here are scrougers and diy’ers to some degree but you three have a doctorate in it. Awesome!

Maybe others will tell of their home brewed ventilation. I never worried about lead fumes and I ingotize outside but recycling lubed boolits and fluxing with sawdust demand some smoke extraction. If I had to replace the fan I used, I would get one that would move around 100 cfm.

wilecoyote
09-06-2022, 03:31 AM
David, I read this your words a big accomplishment, coming from a Country where someone once smoked away an enemy high-rank officer scrounging some tile lead from a roof to cast a slug, elevating since the scrounging to the status of Art:bigsmyl2:

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2022, 03:46 AM
If you are worried about noise, you can mount a fan near where the exhaust exits. I have our bathroom fan in-line in the attic before exiting the house and you can’t hear a thing.

Froogal
09-06-2022, 09:35 AM
I also did the bathroom vent fan. It only sort of works. Better than nothing, but not much. Should have gone with kitchen range hood type.

G W Wade
09-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Been using a resourced kitchen hood fo several years now and am satisfied, but always looking for more. GW

David2011
09-06-2022, 11:35 PM
If you are worried about noise, you can mount a fan near where the exhaust exits. I have our bathroom fan in-line in the attic before exiting the house and you can’t hear a thing.

I pretty much did just that. The ceiling is attached to the roof joists. There is no attic space so the fan has to be in the casting space.

David2011
09-07-2022, 09:51 PM
An unexpected benefit of the vent hood is heat extraction. It’s just not something that I gave any thought to but it really made a difference, especially when I turned on the hot plate.