PDA

View Full Version : 33 wcf

Siskiwit
09-05-2022, 05:06 PM
I have a 1886 model 33WCF that has been in the family forever. I haven’t cast any bullets for any of my guns yet but will be diving in this winter. I have the itch to load up a batch of hunting loads to take the rifle out a few days during rifle season for whitetail for nostalgic reasons. That gun has shot many deer through the years as I'm told. I want to be included in the list. What would be the right mould to look for? I’m reading that the jacketed flat point bullets are long gone. Would anybody have some good advice on loading for the cartridge? I’ve loaded many 357, 44 and 41 mags with left overs from my father so I'm good on that part but just not any rifle cartridges. I’ve just ordered a die set with forming die’s so I’m all n now.

Bazoo
09-05-2022, 08:20 PM
No info for the caliber specifically. But if you’re near me, I’m glad to offer assistance in getting the hang of casting. hawk bullets mag be a source for jacketed if you want some of those.

Reg
09-05-2022, 10:48 PM
Not sure which ones for sure but several of the older Lyman manuals show both jacketed and cast loads and show various cast bullets by the Lyman number. A number of the loads shown are using IMR powders that you can still get.

Green Frog
09-06-2022, 11:12 AM
With a rifle that old, I’d refrain from using jacketed bullets and limit myself to mild charges of powder behind cast bullets. It should be fun to work with… keep us informed.

Froggie

Siskiwit
09-06-2022, 11:30 AM
Will do. Was going to keep it to lower velocities. I have a Lyman manual from the 70’s I’ll look at. As for the casting I’ve watched my dad for hours years ago and figure I’m book-smart enough to do it safely.