PDA

View Full Version : AR Lower Kits - Which?

scottnc
09-05-2022, 11:03 AM
Me again. Waiting to hear back from Anderson regarding an upper assembly. Looking at AR lower parts kits, quite a selection! More options than a 70's Chevrolet: Black Rifle AR Lower Build Kits, Anderson Whoops kit, A2 AR Lower Build kit, Single Stage, Magpul, MOE, MOE+, etc., etc. I haven't a clue what it is I'm looking at.

I don't need top-$helf but would like reasonably priced, decent stuff. Shot IPSC Limited in the 90's, built my guns - I can do fitment and machine work if needed. I would like a decent three-ish pound single stage trigger, a non-folding butt stock with adjustable LOP and cheek piece. A generous size pistol grip. And, whatever else might benefit an AR 7.62X39 upper. A kit would certainly simplify but maybe getting just a small parts kit and the rest individually? If it matters, my lower is a new, never built 20 year old Rock River. I welcome comment on what others think of kits they bought as well as recommendations.

nicholst55
09-05-2022, 11:56 AM
Lower parts kits are typically offered with trigger or without. If you want a crappy mil-spec trigger pull, get 'with.' Otherwise, pick your preferred trigger and go from there. Desiring a single-stage trigger limits your options somewhat, but there are several good ones available. It sounds like you're going to have to piece together everything that you want, because I'm not familiar with a single source for such a kit. There's plenty to choose from - if it's in stock.

scottnc
09-06-2022, 02:39 PM
Desiring a single-stage trigger limits your options somewhat, but there are several good ones available.

Name of some I should look at?

Finster101
09-06-2022, 02:46 PM
I have good luck with PSA lower kits. I just recently upgraded to a LaRue trigger in one of my ARs and am quite happy with it.

JoeJames
09-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Lower parts kits are typically offered with trigger or without. If you want a crappy mil-spec trigger pull, get 'with.' Otherwise, pick your preferred trigger and go from there. Desiring a single-stage trigger limits your options somewhat, but there are several good ones available. It sounds like you're going to have to piece together everything that you want, because I'm not familiar with a single source for such a kit. There's plenty to choose from - if it's in stock.You also need to read the fine print. I ordered one from Palmetto if i remember right and in fine print it said no fcg, or without fcg. Anyhow that meant "no fire control group". Only thing that saved me from ordering more stuff was because one of my cousins had kept a lot of his inventory when he sold his pawnshop/gun shop; he even gave me options on the trigger.

DougGuy
09-06-2022, 03:14 PM
I used a PSA lower kit with their EPT trigger and it ain't half bad for utility/defense purposes for the money, breaks clean and crisp.

Later they put their nickel boron BCG on sale for $89 and I sold the stock one that came with my lower kit for $59 so I did good on that one.

scottnc
09-07-2022, 11:44 AM
Just ordered a lower kit from Rock River. Got one with the Varmint two stage trigger, 3.5-4lb. pull and Hogue grip.

Trolling the internet revealed that Bear Creek Arsenal is only ~:45 away in Sanford, NC. Waiting on info from their CS before proceeding with a heavy fluted SS barreled upper. Reviews were positive, CS friendly. If anyone reading this has had a negative experience with them please speak up. Al at NOE thought the 316-165-FN-N5 bullet should feed in an AR, but like a lot of things - it depends. The chamber neck I.D. in a SAAMI chamber is gonna be close. Might need a thou smaller bullet.

DougGuy, I see you're not too far from me down here in Eleazer, NC right on the boundary with the Uwharrie National Forest.