PDA

View Full Version : This drives me nuts!

poppy42
09-04-2022, 08:59 PM
OK I must have one of those compulsive disorders or something. I’m wondering if this bothers any of you guys? Go to load up some 68 grain 5.56 ammo. One box to be exact. One box equals 100 bullets. Well clean up size 100 cases. maybe one or two extra, sometimes I like to make a dummy case set up for the col if I know I’m gonna load a lot of in the future. Get the how to measure all set up with correct weight. And here’s where the problem occurs!!! You’re all set ready to get started going to prime up 100 cases, cause primers also come 100 per package! And you drop and lose a primer!!!! Cases no problem put them in the rest of the cases. But what do you do with one bullet!!!!!!!! Do you go ahead and open up another sleeve of primers? Then that leaves at 99 the next time you go to load something. So I ask you again what are you supposed to do with one bullet!
Drive me nuts!

Winger Ed.
09-04-2022, 09:25 PM
I sweep, then chase all around my area with a air hose just so I can find that primer
before it gets too much of a head start in its efforts to run away and hide.

What gave me fits years ago, sometimes I got one, and one time got two extras in boxes of Sierras.
Not only did the primer thing happen, but the extra round or two that didn't fit in a plastic ammo box
sort of stressed me out.

RKJ
09-04-2022, 09:34 PM
Oh Yeah. I absolutely hate to lose a primer or have an empty slot in a box of ammo. It's silly but it bugs the snot out of me.

poppy42
09-04-2022, 09:39 PM
I sweep, then chase all around my area with a air hose just so I can find that primer
before it gets too much of a head start in its efforts to run away and hide.

What gave me fits years ago, sometimes I got one, and one time got two extras in boxes of Sierras.
Not only did the primer thing happen, but the extra round or two that didn't fit in a plastic ammo box
sort of stressed me out.
Yep every box of Sierra I’ve opened up has an extra round in it. I always figured that was the make up the dummy round did you get hold onto so you had to combined overall length the next time you wanted to load that particular type of bullet. That justifies it not fit in the ammo box. Cause I agree that drives me just as crazy! Hundred round ammo box and 101 rounds. I fixed that, I just quit using ammo boxes to store ammo in. Not Hornaday they’re too cheap. If the box says 100 that’s what’s in the box!!

poppy42
09-04-2022, 09:39 PM
Glad to see it’s not just me!!

M-Tecs
09-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Doesn't bother me in the least. What's the problem of having a partial box of primers?

David2011
09-04-2022, 10:42 PM
Best thing I did for myself in the new reloading room was to lay a vinyl plank floor. Makes cleaning before and after easy. It’s lots easier to find dropped things.

pworley1
09-04-2022, 10:43 PM
That might have bothered me years ago, but not much bothers me now.

Bloodman14
09-04-2022, 11:10 PM
I keep an old white towel in my priming area for that reason. If you drop a primer, the towel cushions and catches it. Do the same thing in my 'smithing area to catch detent balls, springs and screws.

Mal Paso
09-04-2022, 11:45 PM
I gave up years ago and start with an uneven number of primed cases cuz stuff happens like 6 primers sideways today.

I load 200 primers at a time in APS strips, whats left after priming all the brass goes back in the strip bag.

I do insist on full ammo boxes, componants can do whatever they friggen want to, they will anyway!

poppy42
09-05-2022, 01:58 AM
I keep an old white towel in my priming area for that reason. If you drop a primer, the towel cushions and catches it. Do the same thing in my 'smithing area to catch detent balls, springs and screws.

This works fantastic! I just started doing this!

Finster101
09-05-2022, 08:03 AM
I only use ammo boxes for transport to the range. Ammo coming off the press gets stored in plastic coffee cans or nut jars. The only thing that goes directly into a box is .243 and 6mm ARC. I'm a little pickier about those.

bedbugbilly
09-05-2022, 08:29 AM
For some reason . . . . I do not think you are alone . . . :-)

Wag
09-05-2022, 08:38 AM
Never bothered me except that the dang things are WAY overpriced now.

Partial boxes of mismatched primers and boolits all through my supplies!

--Wag--

ebb
09-05-2022, 09:39 AM
Call me i will send you a primer life is too short to get worried about a primer. What fires me up is to prep 100 cases and when you get to the bottom of the box of bullets you find they only sent you 99.

toallmy
09-05-2022, 10:25 AM
So on the outer side of the problem , a few loaded rounds left in a almost empty box of ammo crushes my soul ......
A odd tray of primers , not so much

ioon44
09-05-2022, 10:52 AM
I always search for the lost primer, I don't a loose primer in my reloading room to get detonated by accident and start a fire.

It always reminds me of someone else who left the 99 and searched for the one.

Shawlerbrook
09-05-2022, 10:53 AM
I do hate to lose a primer especially these days, but a box with 99 primers doesn’t bother me.

gwpercle
09-05-2022, 11:28 AM
I hate to loose primers ... when they were cheap and available if one dropped on the floor I simply took a spare out of my "spare primer box" and would just keep on keeping on ...
Once a year or five I might clean up some and sweep up the floor , pick up everything in dust pan and pick out all the live primers ... these went in "spare primer box" .

Now if I drop a primer I stop and hunt that sucker down ...play Wanted Dead or Alive and get my stinking primer !

I have always kept a box or two of primers for "Spares" ... you loading 50 or 100 , have primers and bullets counted out ... loose one ...simply grab one from the Spare Primer Box.
I guess I'm not OCD enough to let a box of 99 primers bother me ... I just use that box as my spare primer box .

Boolits are never a problem ...just have / keep a large supply on hand and take what you need .
Gary

super6
09-05-2022, 11:53 AM
My thing is 49 of all the same head stamp and one odd ball. Just can not do it! If it ain't 50 it ain't a done deal.

contender1
09-05-2022, 02:44 PM
Life's too short to worry about the little stuff.

Never had a primer go sideways?
Never had a dropped primer?
Never had an odd number of brass cases?
Never have a case get crumpled or damaged during the process?

I could continue. But these are little things.
I worry about bigger things.

Will my wife's cancer return?
Will my LEO son get killed by some cop hater?
Will my DIL's cancer return for the 3rd time?
Will my granddaughter die from drugs?
Will my oldest son & his wife ever succeed in having a child?

Nope,, I have enough worries to where the little stuff doesn't bother me beyond a brief moment of cussing & then it's corrected & I go on.

Need another primer? Open a box, get what's needed & mark the box as a "partial" to be used next.
Need a bullet? Open a box, get what's needed & mark the box as a "partial" to be used next.
Damage a piece of brass? Throw it in the recycle bin, and grab another out of the bag.

After decades of handloading,, I found out long ago I'd have partial boxes of primers & bullets. No sweat.

VariableRecall
09-05-2022, 03:21 PM
I tend to have a primer sleeve marked "Not Full" that I dig into whenever I am priming up lots smaller than 50, so that all the uneven-ness goes to a single sleeve instead of more than one.

Also, with the prices of primers these days, you can't afford to leave primers behind on the ground if they are still good. an even floor surface that contrasts silver or gold really helps!

uscra112
09-05-2022, 03:41 PM
Would never even occur to me to get bent over an empty slot in the ammo box.

Now, an empty slot in the rifle rack just screams at me to buy another rifle.

KCSO
09-05-2022, 04:28 PM
And I will NEVER use a dropped primer, they go right in the wood stove when I sweep up.

Lifeshort
09-06-2022, 09:27 AM
My wife finds them with her vacumn. It's not pretty

Electrod47
09-06-2022, 10:36 AM
I never figure on even numbers when I reload a special batch. Always figure on 10ish extra for some to get munched and a few for chrono.

Johnch
09-06-2022, 05:30 PM
LOL I figured a simple way to find the missing primer
Just get out the sweeper and sweep the floor

BUT REMEMBER the sweeper has a beater bar to make a vibration
So you can get a lot more dirt out of the carpet

BUT that beater bar will also beat on that lost primer
And BOOM no more lost primer

Small pistol primers , OK just a medium BOOM
Larger Rifle Mag primers get more interesting
209 Mag shotgun primers remove some decent divots out of the beater bar

But to be fair
I may load 1 to a thousand of a load
As I do a lot of "Testing"
So I normally have trays of primers with some missing

John

dale2242
09-08-2022, 07:22 AM
I load on single stage.
If I am loading for volume I prime and load in lots of 50.
If I`m loading small batches I prime in odd numbers.
I keep one box of odd number primers just for that and it is marked as such.
Yes, I attempt to recover every dropped primer.
Always have.

Scrounge
09-08-2022, 07:35 AM
OK I must have one of those compulsive disorders or something. I’m wondering if this bothers any of you guys? Go to load up some 68 grain 5.56 ammo. One box to be exact. One box equals 100 bullets. Well clean up size 100 cases. maybe one or two extra, sometimes I like to make a dummy case set up for the col if I know I’m gonna load a lot of in the future. Get the how to measure all set up with correct weight. And here’s where the problem occurs!!! You’re all set ready to get started going to prime up 100 cases, cause primers also come 100 per package! And you drop and lose a primer!!!! Cases no problem put them in the rest of the cases. But what do you do with one bullet!!!!!!!! Do you go ahead and open up another sleeve of primers? Then that leaves at 99 the next time you go to load something. So I ask you again what are you supposed to do with one bullet!
Drive me nuts!

CDO much? :) I can be like that, try hard not to. Just remember that you're doing this for stress relief, not to add additional stress to your life! Besides, it makes sense in a number of ways to try to do it like you do. Though I gotta admit, when I drop a primer I search until I find it... I'm a cheap bastrich!

CDO: Like OCD, but with the letters in the correct alphabetical order. ;)

Bill

WRideout
09-08-2022, 10:07 AM
I always search for the lost primer, I don't a loose primer in my reloading room to get detonated by accident and start a fire.

It always reminds me of someone else who left the 99 and searched for the one.

I usually find them in the same place as the one sock I lost.

Wayne

GregLaROCHE
09-08-2022, 01:21 PM
I’ve vacuumed some of them up I’m sure, but so far nothing spectacular has happened.

imashooter2
09-08-2022, 02:47 PM
I just throw that bullet on top of the next box. I’m far more annoyed by the box of bullets or bag of brass that is one short.