PDA

View Full Version : Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler In Cast Iron Skillet

DougGuy
09-04-2022, 08:46 PM
I made BBQ baby backs in the Traeger grill today, home made tater salad, cornbread, steakhouse beans, oh man what a spread!

Not to be outdone by the meal, I dug up a recipe for some really plump big blackberries I saw hanging around the freezer, they caught my eye a time or two too many, time for them to go!

Start with 3 cups fresh or frozen berries, sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar over them and let them sit 24hrs.

Now I will post the recipe..

Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler

Filling Ingredients:

2/3C granulated sugar
1/3C granulated sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1C water*
3C fresh or frozen blackberries

Filling Directions:

The night before making cobbler, sprinkle 1/3C sugar over blackberries and let sit overnight. The next day, stir 2/3C sugar and 1 tbsp cornstarch together in sauce pan,

*Pour off liquid from berries into measuring cup, add water to make one cup. Whisk water into sugar mixture and bring to boil, stir in blackberries and continue to heat to boiling.

Biscuit Ingredients:

1C all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp (half stick) butter at room temperature
1C buttermilk
1/2C unfed sourdough starter
1/4C granulated sugar

Biscuit Directions:

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl, cut in butter to make a coarse meal. Add ½ cup buttermilk and ½ cup unfed ripe starter. Stir until a coarse dough forms, add buttermilk as needed until dough is just loose enough to pour.

Spray No. 8 cast iron skillet with cooking spray, pour dough into skillet and spread evenly to edges. Pour berry mixture onto dough arranging berries evenly, bake in 400F oven 20 mins, remove from oven and sprinkle ¼ cup sugar evenly over mixture, return to oven and bake 10 more mins or until center reaches 200F. Remove skillet from oven and let cool 30 mins. Serve warm with your choice of toppings or ice cream.

45workhorse
09-04-2022, 09:07 PM
Cobbler in cast iron, nothing better!
Looks mighty good!

gwpercle
09-05-2022, 12:07 PM
DougGuy ,
Thanks for posting this recipe ...
I was putting some frozen shrimp away in the freezer and noticed a bag of frozen Blackberries leftover from a jam making session . I believe there are 3 or 4 cups of berries in the bag ... My Oh My ...what a coincidence , it has to be Fate !

I was thinking a Shrimp and Andouilli Sausage Jambalaya ... Blackberry Cobbler for desert wouldn't be a bad Labor Day meal ... it's raining outside I can stay in and cook !

Always Appreciate you good recipes !
Gary

smoked turkey
09-06-2022, 12:21 AM
This caught my eye too. I was thinking it would make my home made French Vanilla Ice cream taste pretty good. I'll have to look in our freezer. Ha.

DougGuy
09-06-2022, 01:02 AM
DougGuy , I believe there are 3 or 4 cups of berries in the bag ...
Gary

My No. 8 skillet was full to the very edge once it reached full steam in the oven, with 3 cups of berries, and it's an old arc logo "Sidney" with pretty tall sides. More than 3 cups of berries move up to a No. 9 skillet.. You want the cobbler to be deep, filling the pan when it's all expanded while baking, just not running all the good juice over the edge..

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2022, 03:00 AM
When I first saw this post, I thought it was going to be about pancakes. Those are some of the best ingredients to make pancakes out of too.

pworley1
09-06-2022, 06:38 AM
That is almost the way my grandmother made it.

gwpercle
09-06-2022, 03:17 PM
My No. 8 skillet was full to the very edge once it reached full steam in the oven, with 3 cups of berries, and it's an old arc logo "Sidney" with pretty tall sides. More than 3 cups of berries move up to a No. 9 skillet.. You want the cobbler to be deep, filling the pan when it's all expanded while baking, just not running all the good juice over the edge..

The wife has a deep sided skillet ... she calls it a "Chicken Fryer " ... it's 12 inch across w/ 4 inch high sides , that will be tall enough to hold things... the juice is the best part and I'll put a drip pan under it too . That bag has 3 cups in it I checked !
I can never seem to pick the right size pot or pan for what I want to cook , usually I'm too small ... but Debbie has a 6th sense ... she knows exactly which size to cook something in .
I always consult "the pan expert" when i'm doing a new recipe ...but thanks for the heads up ...others out there my find this info helpful .
Thanks ,
Gary

Net
09-06-2022, 04:59 PM
That looks great. Thanks for sharing. I've got some berries that needed a place to be used as well.

Electrod47
09-06-2022, 05:27 PM
DougGuy, I'll tell you somethin', sometimes I agree with what your sayin, sometimes I don't But, Man everything you start cookin' makes me drool!!

MaryB
09-07-2022, 02:09 PM
Doug is one of the top recipe posters! Check the cookbook thread!

alfadan
09-09-2022, 10:26 PM
Yum! That picture riles my 'beetus somethin awful!

BLAHUT
09-09-2022, 10:45 PM
love the thought of sourdough. my starter has been alive, documented back to the 1800 Alaska gold rush, it sits on my counter and get fed every morning and used as often as i can.. I have not found any that tastes better.. just made and baked sourdough bread today. house smells so good...

MaryB
09-10-2022, 01:38 PM
Older a starter gets the more complex the flavors get... I had a temporary roomie throw mine away!!!!! Yeah she got hollered at big time! That starter was from my great grandmother! Lucky my oldest sister has some of it and I got a new batch from her to build back up.