PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Plated Steel Balls

Johnch
09-04-2022, 06:46 PM
I got a call a hour or so ago from a friend I go fishing with
He called to confirm the details on a bass fishing trip he invited me on next spring

2 Weeks fishing 3 areas

But the one sort of bad thing
2 of the places we are going to be fishing has gone Lead Free [smilie=b:
So no lead worm weights , lead jig heads , Spinner baits or even in a factory plug
He said they check everyone

So as I am making a lot of my own lures
I need to either buy a lot of new lures or use 100% non toxic metals

For the jig heads and spinner bait heads , we are planning on casting Bismuth
Worm weights , another guy I fish with turns brass worm weights

For most of the plugs I carve , I can switch to steel shot as it is not seen

BUT I pour several different internally weighted plastic lures and I am also making a hollow epoxy plug
These lures you can see the weights and are designed for larger dia. weights
Right now I use lead and paint it most of the time

I figure I will have to switch to steel , as the molds I bought were designed to use steel balls

So I would like to find a source of 1/8" to 5/16" chrome (or close ) low cost steel balls

Any ideas ?

Thanks
John

Winger Ed.
09-04-2022, 06:50 PM
You may need different molds due to the higher temp. but some home casters are switching over to Zinc tire weights.
They weigh about 60% what the same volume of Lead does.

phaessler
09-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Have you checked Amazon? "chrome steel balls assorted"

country gent
09-04-2022, 06:53 PM
On Line Metals and Mc Master Carr both sell metal balls

BLAHUT
09-04-2022, 07:13 PM
Could look into steel shotgun shot ???

Horn Ridge
09-04-2022, 07:15 PM
Amazon for sure. They even have SS for not a lot.

Johnch
09-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Thanks
I did a quick look at Amazon and it looks like I can get what I need there
I just never thought to look at Amazon

John

Harter66
09-04-2022, 09:14 PM
Slingshot steel shot ? It's about 00B and cheap chrome $3-5/100 I think . Might hit up a bicycle shop those are all ball bearings and chromoly . They range from about F to 0000B .

trebor44
09-05-2022, 07:50 AM
BB's from Wally World (aka China Mart)

MaryB
09-05-2022, 12:48 PM
Tungsten weights are now common, many sources for them for fishing...

quilbilly
09-05-2022, 02:09 PM
What is wrong with tin? Of course, your 1/2 oz spinner baits will only weigh about a 1/3 oz etc. Tin is relatively available including at Wally World where tin splitshot sinkers can be found for doing just a small quantity. Doing a small quantity in your lead melting furnace won't hurt future boolits and may actually improve them as it alloys itself. A size 5 tin splitshot can be pinched onto a long shank plastic worm hook to make a passable jig as well if fishing depths are less than 20 feet. You may have to use lighter line as well such as 8-10# rather than 12-20#.

jsizemore
09-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Don't know about chrome, but loose bicycle ball bearings are plentiful.

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2022, 11:18 PM
Since you are used to casting, I’d give zinc a try.

farmbif
09-07-2022, 02:26 PM
geez, I never even heard of lead free fishing before
just how exactly do you attach chrome steel to fishing line?

MostlyLeverGuns
09-07-2022, 06:28 PM
You might check Ballistic Products (shotshell reloading components). They carry many different non-toxic shot sizes, including various buck shot, some are as heavy or even heavier than lead, some can be pricey.

HWooldridge
09-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Most local bearing shops will sell loose ball bearings; almost infinite sizes and as many as you might want.

farmbif
09-07-2022, 08:39 PM
am I missing something? how are you supposed to attach them to the line unless you can drill a hole through them and that might be a little tricky without the right equipment
I would think tin would be the best way to go it can be easily manipulated, like lead

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-07-2022, 08:54 PM
I got a call a hour or so ago from a friend I go fishing with
He called to confirm the details on a bass fishing trip he invited me on next spring

2 Weeks fishing 3 areas

But the one sort of bad thing
2 of the places we are going to be fishing has gone Lead Free [smilie=b:
So no lead worm weights , lead jig heads , Spinner baits or even in a factory plug
He said they check everyone

So as I am making a lot of my own lures
I need to either buy a lot of new lures or use 100% non toxic metals

For the jig heads and spinner bait heads , we are planning on casting Bismuth
Worm weights , another guy I fish with turns brass worm weights

For most of the plugs I carve , I can switch to steel shot as it is not seen

BUT I pour several different internally weighted plastic lures and I am also making a hollow epoxy plug
These lures you can see the weights and are designed for larger dia. weights
Right now I use lead and paint it most of the time

I figure I will have to switch to steel , as the molds I bought were designed to use steel balls

So I would like to find a source of 1/8" to 5/16" chrome (or close ) low cost steel balls

Any ideas ?

Thanks
John
Are they checking with a XRF gun?
If they aren't using a XRF gun, and you cast some Bismuth weights, how will they know it's not Lead ?

Johnch
09-07-2022, 09:31 PM
am I missing something? how are you supposed to attach them to the line unless you can drill a hole through them and that might be a little tricky without the right equipment
I would think tin would be the best way to go it can be easily manipulated, like lead

For the rubber based plugs , I cast the weights inside
For some plugs I drill holes in the bottom of the carved wood of the plug , sealed into the bottom with Super Glue and baking soda
For other plugs , I carve or cast the plug in 2 pieces , add the weights in hollow areas and then glue the 3 parts together

John

M-Tecs
09-07-2022, 09:52 PM
ebay has "3mm Solid Copper Bearing Balls (Min 99.9% Cu) Wholesale" for $12.99 per 500.