PDA

View Full Version : Foggy scopes

abunaitoo
09-03-2022, 01:58 PM
So what do people do with old foggy scopes????
I've heard, sending them out to clean, takes forever, and cost an arm and leg.
Probably need special tools to take it apart, but then what????
Need to find a place to clean the lenses.
Probably coast another are and a leg.
Seems like a waste to just throw them away.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-03-2022, 02:05 PM
I agree...seems like a waste. But most scope companies have a warranty and replacement policy. I'll bet I've got 6-8 scopes on my bench waiting to be sent in to various manufacturers....and they've been waiting way too long! One of those get around to it deals. However, I've sent in and received back many more than that over the years, and except for one way postage never paid a dime that I can remember. Companies like Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell, are pretty good about fixing or replacing them and returning them on their nickel. On the other hand, some companies like Nikon don't make or service scopes any more, and if you have a foreign made wonder scope from some place like China you've probably got trash, because I don't believe you will get much service from them.

DG

nekshot
09-03-2022, 02:33 PM
I was looking at a jobber that sells reconditioned scopes. Their price for old weaver and red fields reconditioned are fair I guess if you consider the desire to have a vintage scope on a vintage gun.

ShooterAZ
09-03-2022, 02:47 PM
I sent a Leupold scope back to them because I accidentally dropped my rifle into a pile of rocks on a hunting trip. It lost it's seal and subsequently fogged up. Leupold repaired it at no charge, even replacing the front lense on it. It still has some dents in the tube but it doesn't affect the performance, just gives it some character is all.

wv109323
09-03-2022, 04:50 PM
Leopold has a no questions asked warranty policy. You do not have to be the original purchaser.
They have a wall of fame for scopes they had to replace instead of repair.

atr
09-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Leopold and Burris scopes have good warranty policies.

If the scope fogs up it is not trust worthy and might let you down in the field.
Sometimes it is easier to match the fogged scope with a newer one than it is to have the fogged scope repaired.
in freedom
atr

BLAHUT
09-03-2022, 05:03 PM
Send back or replace depend on what scope is worth??? A cheap scope may be cost efitive to just replace?? A high buck scope defenatly send back and have fixed >> with a high end scope i have found no hassels other than having to drive into town to post office to ship>>>

ioon44
09-04-2022, 07:40 AM
I sent a 1980's Leupold scope back to them because I accidentally dropped my rifle in my reloading room and it landed on the scope, Leupold replaced it with a newer one of the same power. I have sent other Leupold back for repair, always great service.

trebor44
09-04-2022, 11:40 AM
My old "Realist" brand was a fogger. The 'cost' to fix the issue was just not worth it. But it did make a great sunny day scope for the target range! Cost to repair versus replacement is always a consideration and subject to the contents of your wallet!

Bmi48219
09-04-2022, 12:06 PM
Anyone know of a company that will replace a scope reticle? I have an old and sort-of expensive German-made scope with a fine crosshair reticle. I figure replacing the crosshairs would be cheaper than getting a new right eye. The manufacturer went out of business decades ago.

shooterg
09-04-2022, 02:48 PM
Useta be TK Lee was the go to . Think they've disappeared, few years back had a dot put in an old T16 for 80 bucks ! Wish they were still around.

firefly1957
09-05-2022, 08:12 AM
Because of my aging eyes I put a cheap pistol scope on my muzzle loader (2-6X 32 mm NcStar) it worked quite well then I cleaned the gun with boiling water without removing it . I had the scope wrapped in plastic wrap to keep it dry but when I finished it was fogged up inside. The heat from the barrel transmitted though scope rail and mounts and the front seal popped out for around the lens .
I took the scope apart cleaned the lens good and used the tube from my mig welder to add Argon when I put it together it is now once again fog free and I clean without hot water now . I can also remove the scope and use a bore sight to insure it is back in same place a advantage of having a rail on the gun .